The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Nov 13, 2018, 09:48pm
Official Forum Member

Vid request - Georgetown/Illinois - ARC

With 8:07 left in first half, GT player drives. Secondary defender tries to take a charge. Big time official (forgot name) signals a block, hesitates, and then emphatically indicates that defender was in the ARC. Replay suggest otherwise and not close. I found it strange that the L official could sell a call so strongly but yet appear to be so incorrect. Only guess is that he thought he saw something that was not there. Like maybe straightlined or something. Defender had his foot in the ARC but clearly brought it out during the contact.....at least in my opinion. Just seemed odd.
Old Wed Nov 14, 2018, 02:12am
Esteemed Forum Member

Future Problems For Connecticut ...

Restricted area. If the NFHS goes that way, it will be yet another reason why Connecticut should go to three persons crews, the other reason being if the NFHS goes to a shot clock.

I just picked up my second subvarsity doubleheader. Looks like I'm going to be the "go to" guy for afternoon games now that I'm retired from my day job. If these doubleheaders keep stacking up, three person crews will start looking much more appealing to me.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Wed Nov 14, 2018, 09:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky View Post
Defender had his foot in the ARC but clearly brought it out during the contact.....at least in my opinion.
Didn't see the play, but based on that description, it could still be a block because of the RA
Old Wed Nov 14, 2018, 09:27am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky View Post
... Defender had his foot in the ARC but clearly brought it out during the contact.....at least in my opinion. Just seemed odd.
"During" indicates that his foot was still in/on the arc when contact was initiated.
Old Wed Nov 14, 2018, 01:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
"During" indicates that his foot was still in/on the arc when contact was initiated.
Perhaps to you it does but not to me and therefore it is not what was meant. I will say it this way. Defender had his foot in the ARC and then clearly had it well outside the arc. Offensive player then jumped into him.
Old Wed Nov 14, 2018, 02:16pm
Official Forum Member

Overall, from the description it seems like the lead called the block and then immediately regretted it, and then tried to sell the call by claiming it was an RA block.

Of course video never lies. Perhaps not his finest moment? We’ve all been there...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Wed Nov 14, 2018, 02:22pm
Official Forum Member

I'm pretty sure the rule says something like "the secondary defender shall not establish INITIAL legal guarding position in the RA." Maybe that's what happened, so even if he was out before the contact, it might still be an RA-block.
Old Wed Nov 14, 2018, 02:25pm
beware big brother

If the secondary defender established LGP in the RA, then it is a RA block even if his foot was no longer in the RA at the time of contact.
Old Wed Nov 14, 2018, 02:29pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
Overall, from the description it seems like the lead called the block and then immediately regretted it, and then tried to sell the call by claiming it was an RA block.

Of course video never lies. Perhaps not his finest moment? We’ve all been there...

I'm waiting for video before I pass judgment.
Old Wed Nov 14, 2018, 02:36pm
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
All the more reason to be VERY judicious in using the RA block signal -- if you have a partner bring you information or have use of a monitor you are saying: "this would have been a charge except for the RA". If definite information arises that the defender was outside, you MUST change it to a charge.
Old Wed Nov 14, 2018, 02:37pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
I'm pretty sure the rule says something like "the secondary defender shall not establish INITIAL legal guarding position in the RA." Maybe that's what happened, so even if he was out before the contact, it might still be an RA-block.
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny d View Post
If the secondary defender established LGP in the RA, then it is a RA block even if his foot was no longer in the RA at the time of contact.
The rule clearly states that being in or over the arc is an element of the secondary defender rule.

Rule 4-17 Art. 7. A secondary defender cannot establish initial legal guarding position in the restricted area for the purposes of drawing an offensive foul on a player who is in control of the ball (i.e., dribbling or shooting) or who has released the ball for a pass or try for goal. When illegal contact occurs within this restricted area, such contact shall be called a blocking foul, unless the contact is flagrant.
Old Wed Nov 14, 2018, 02:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
The rule clearly states that being in or over the arc is an element of the secondary defender rule.

Rule 4-17 Art. 7. A secondary defender cannot establish initial legal guarding position in the restricted area for the purposes of drawing an offensive foul on a player who is in control of the ball (i.e., dribbling or shooting) or who has released the ball for a pass or try for goal. When illegal contact occurs within this restricted area, such contact shall be called a blocking foul, unless the contact is flagrant.

Excellent citation. It also shows a couple of concepts that are easy to get confused (initial LGP vs. contact within). Maybe this is the calculus the official was going through and he just made a mental mistake?

Agree we need to see the video before we render any formal critique.

Old Wed Nov 14, 2018, 04:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny d View Post
It is possible to establish a "new" LGP outside the arc. If they get the foot back down outside, and meet the other requirements, the fact that initial LGP was in the arc is irrelevant.
Old Wed Nov 14, 2018, 05:19pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to swkansasref33
Old Wed Nov 14, 2018, 05:33pm
AremRed

Offensive foul, defender's right foot is initially inside the RA but he moves it forward and obtains LGP before the shooter leaves the floor. Tough play though. Should have reviewed the RA status on the monitor.