The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Nov 01, 2018, 12:40pm
Esteemed Forum Member

For IAABO Members Only ...

IAABO 2018-19 Refresher Exam Question #14: A-6 and A-7 have legally reported to enter the game when B-1 commits his/her fifth foul. B-6 reports to replace B-1. The official beckons A-6, A-7 and B-6 into the game. Is the official correct? Answer Key: Yes.

IAABO Mechanics Manual Page 55: Foul Procedures B 5: Complete all communication with table prior to acknowledging substitutions or timeout requests.

The official was not correct. A-6, A-7 and B-6 should have been beckoned into the game only after all communication with table had been completed.

We’ve been told to do it this way for dozens of years.

Do not grant timeouts, or beckon substitutes, until the foul has been reported, and in the case of player who has been disqualified, do not grant timeouts, or beckon substitutes, until the coach has been notified that his player has been disqualified, and the disqualified player has been replaced. Only after that should officials grant timeouts, or beckon or additional substitutes.

This mechanic prevents any confusion that could occur regarding whether, of not, the fifteen seconds to replace a disqualified player should occur before, during, or after, the charged timeout.

This mechanic also prevents any confusion that could occur regarding whether, or not, Team B players who are now on the bench because their replacements have reported, and been beckoned (too early by mechanic) before Coach B knew about his disqualified player, would have to sit a tick, or could immediately replace the disqualified player, or any other team B player.

If Team B players are beckoned too early, and then the Team B player is disqualified, Team B may be left without a ball handler, or without a rebounder, on the court due to the sit a tick rule, all because the official “jumped the gun” beckoning substitutes.

Bottom line: Complete all communication with table prior to acknowledging substitutions or timeout requests.

Note: You guessed it. I got the question wrong and I'm pissed. Thanks for letting me vent.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Nov 01, 2018 at 05:05pm.
Old Thu Nov 01, 2018, 01:06pm
Courageous When Prudent

Always how I've done it. Nothing happens until I've notified B-coach that B1 has fouled out and he/she has supplied a sub.
Old Thu Nov 01, 2018, 03:04pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
IAABO 2018-19 Refresher Exam Question #14: A-6 and A-7 have legally reported to enter the game when B-1 commits his/her fifth foul. B-6 reports to replace B-1. The official beckons A-6, A-7 and B-6 into the game. Is the official correct? Answer Key: Yes.

IAABO Mechanics Manual Page 55: Foul Procedures B 5: Complete all communication with table prior to acknowledging substitutions or timeout requests.

The official was not correct. A-6, A-7 and B-6 should have been beckoned into the game only after all communication with table had been completed.

We’ve been told to do it this way for dozens of years.

Do not grant timeouts, or beckon substitutes, until the foul has been reported, and in the case of player who has been disqualified, do not grant timeouts, or beckon substitutes, until the coach has been notified that his player has been disqualified, and the disqualified player has been replaced. Only after that should officials grant timeouts, or beckon or additional substitutes.

This mechanic prevents any confusion that could occur regarding whether, of not, the fifteen seconds to replace a disqualified player should occur before, or after, the charged timeout.

This mechanic also prevents any confusion that could occur regarding whether, or not, Team B players who are now on the bench because their replacements have reported, and been beckoned (too early by mechanic) before Coach B knew about his disqualified player, would have to sit a tick, or could immediately replace the disqualified player, or any other team B player.

If Team B players are beckoned too early, and then the Team B player is disqualified, Team B may be left without a ball handler, or without a rebounder, on the court due to the sit a tick rule, all because the official “jumped the gun” beckoning substitutes.

Bottom line: Complete all communication with table prior to acknowledging substitutions or timeout requests.

Note: You guessed it. I got the question wrong and I'm pissed. Thanks for letting me vent.

Billy:

Mark, Jr., and I just received our IAABO Handbook and Refresher Exam last week, and we have not gone through the exam yet. As Individual Members we do not receive an answer key, so if you would be so kind as to email it to me I will be forever in your debt. None-the-less ...

The answer is correct if and only the following order is followed (for both NFHS and IAABO Mechanics): (i) the Game Official reports B1's foul to the Scorer, (ii) the Game Official informs Team B's HC that B1 is disqualified because of five (5) fouls, (iii) Team B's HC then replaces B1 with B6 and B6 reports to the Scorer.

Question #14, as worded, requires an assumption that I would not make. You are correct is questioning the Answer Key.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Thu Nov 01, 2018, 09:55pm
Official Forum Member

It's safe to say it's "assumed" the proper procedure was followed. The question is obviously just about knowing when it's OK to allow/disallow Team A subs.

It must take you HOURS to do these exams. If the questions were worded to your satisfaction and thoroughness, a 50-question test would be 25 pages long.
Old Thu Nov 01, 2018, 10:01pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODog View Post
It's safe to say it's "assumed" the proper procedure was followed. The question is obviously just about knowing when it's OK to allow/disallow Team A subs.

It must take you HOURS to do these exams. If the questions were worded to your satisfaction and thoroughness, a 50-question test would be 25 pages long.

ODog:

From your sarcasm I am "assuming" that you are (deleting the word "not" from the sentence) a member of IAABO.

I know how much work goes into preparing the the IAABO Refresher Exam because I am a Past Member of the IAABO Exam Committee.

MTD, Sr.
Toledo, Ohio

Last edited by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.; Fri Nov 02, 2018 at 08:52pm. Reason: Deleted the word "not" from the first sentence of my comment.
Old Thu Nov 01, 2018, 10:08pm
Official Forum Member

Mark, I've been an IAABO member for years and have seen (and taken) every exam probably dating back to 2000.

The questions are recycled ad nauseam year after year -- plucked from previous exams and reconstituted -- and that exact question is probably on the exam every three years at worst.

Billy has probably answered that question 15 times in his IAABO life. I can only hope it wasn't done with the same amount of handwringing each time.
Old Fri Nov 02, 2018, 05:41am
Administrator

Quote:
Mark, I've been an IAABO member for years and have seen (and taken) every exam probably dating back to 2000.

The questions are recycled ad nauseam year after year -- plucked from previous exams and reconstituted -- and that exact question is probably on the exam every three years at worst.

Billy has probably answered that question 15 times in his IAABO life. I can only hope it wasn't done with the same amount of handwringing each time.

Check your PMs.

MTD, Sr.
Toledo, Ohio
Old Fri Nov 02, 2018, 02:32pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Assume ...

Quote:
It's safe to say it's "assumed" the proper procedure was followed.
If that were the case than the answer to every single, "Is the official correct?" question, on every single annual IAABO Refresher Exam, would always unequivocally be, "Yes". The officials in these exams have to occasionally make some type of incorrect decision, or not follow a proper procedure.

Test takers shouldn't have to be mind readers.

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Fri Nov 02, 2018 at 03:33pm.
Old Fri Nov 02, 2018, 02:48pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Don't All Forum Members Follow All The Rules All The Time ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
I am "assuming" that you are not a member of IAABO.
Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.: Why would you assume that, after all, the title of the thread is "For IAABO Members Only"?

When you get a dossier from the CIA marked "For Your Eyes Only" do you share it with all your friends and family?

Last edited by BillyMac; Fri Nov 02, 2018 at 03:49pm.
Old Fri Nov 02, 2018, 08:47pm
Administrator

Quote:
Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.: Why would you assume that, after all, the title of the thread is "For IAABO Members Only"?

When you get a dossier from the CIA marked "For Your Eyes Only" do you share it with all your friends and family?

Oops!! My brain was not engaged when I typed that sentence. The word "not" was supposed be in the sentence. I will go back and delete it.

MTD, Sr.
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sat Nov 03, 2018, 07:05pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Rules Only, No Mechanics ...

Quote:

My local interpreter has informed me that the answer remains "Yes" because the exam is a rules exam and is not a mechanics exam.

As usual for me, I thought the question was too easy as stated, and I read too much into the question.

Old Sun Nov 04, 2018, 09:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
My local interpreter has informed me that the answer remains "Yes" because the exam is a rules exam and is not a mechanics exam.

As usual for me, I thought the question was too easy as stated, and I read too much into the question.
Here's one especially for you from the NFHS 2-man mechanics exam.

True or False
Question #90

An official's black pants must have a belt.

Old Mon Nov 05, 2018, 02:00am
Official Forum Member

It's probably a trick question, but I would still answer False.
Old Mon Nov 05, 2018, 01:30pm
Esteemed Forum Member

The Land Of Steady Habits ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
NFHS 2-man mechanics exam. True or False.
Question #90 An official's black pants must have a belt.

The Connecticut State Department of Transportation my have to change this sign.

International IAABO went beltless a few years ago, and as far as I know, it's only my local board in my little corner of Connecticut that still will allows belts.

There's about a few dozen of us belted officials left, including at least one state final official. When we die, the belts with die with us. Rest in peace.

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Nov 05, 2018 at 01:37pm.