The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Oct 13, 2018, 11:40pm
Official Forum Member

Association Training

I might have bitten off more than I can chew, but I've accepted the training position this year in my local association. We have 10 meetings scheduled through the year, each about 1 hour in length. I would like to set my schedule for training right now for the 10 meetings that may include some guest speakers.
How do each of your associations run training?
What do you find most useful yourself in your local meetings in regards to training?
Old Sun Oct 14, 2018, 01:03am
Esteemed Forum Member

Topics ...

Are you talking about training for all officials, inexperienced, and experienced? Or just new, inexperienced officials?

For "continuing training" for all officials, our local interpreter chooses his training topics in two ways during the season.

1) He is always open to take emails and phone calls from officials who have questions regarding rules, situations, mechanics, etc. He answers these individually, but also brings up some of these topics to the entire membership if he believes that they will benefit the entire membership.

2) He always watches three periods of the junior varsity game before his varsity game. From these observations, and what he may see in his varsity games, he will bring up rules, situations, mechanics, etc., that he thinks would benefit the entire membership.

For example, game management seems to be a reoccurring topic.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Oct 14, 2018 at 01:09am.
Old Sun Oct 14, 2018, 08:02am
This IS My Social Life

What state are you in?
Old Sun Oct 14, 2018, 09:01am
Ok is the new good

When it comes to guest speakers utilize their time with your association as best as you can. I like to have my guest speakers analyze video because of their experience plus it always generates lots of discussion from the members. If you want to use Powerpoint presentations, connect with Freddy, he is a guru when it comes to training and development!
Old Mon Oct 15, 2018, 01:14pm
Official Forum Member

If these are in-season trainings, I highly recommend watching videos of the kinds of plays seen in games on a regular basis and then discussing. If you can get videos of your own officials, even better. Some people don’t like critiquing their own people or being critiqued. I feel otherwise. You don’t have to make the same person the goat every meeting. At least I would hope not.
Old Wed Oct 17, 2018, 02:46pm
Official Forum Member

Have you heard of KAHOOT? (A free interactive game)

As a teacher, I am always looking for fun and innovative new ways to teach or test the students. Last season I used the free online game KAHOOT at two of our basketball meetings with much positive feedback. This interactive game requires a computer and a projector to display the questions. Officials use their smartphones to log into the game created by you or "borrowed" from the KAHOOT community. True/False or multiple choice questions can be paired with a picture or a YouTube video (internet/wi-fi is needed).
KAHOOT is free and students/officials like it because it is competitive (points awarded) and interactive.
Check with some of the teachers in your group because many of them use this in their classrooms and they would be able to create a 10 question KAHOOT in less than an hour.
We used this at our last meeting on Monday and the KAHOOT included new rules questions and some important topics that the board wanted covered such as basket interference and backcourt violations.
Old Wed Oct 17, 2018, 02:57pm
This IS My Social Life

Training Resource

See link to updated, compressed version posted below . . .

Last edited by Freddy; Thu Oct 18, 2018 at 01:12pm. Reason: Updated Version Posted Below
Old Wed Oct 17, 2018, 05:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjc3 View Post
As a teacher, I am always looking for fun and innovative new ways to teach or test the students. Last season I used the free online game KAHOOT at two of our basketball meetings with much positive feedback. This interactive game requires a computer and a projector to display the questions. Officials use their smartphones to log into the game created by you or "borrowed" from the KAHOOT community. True/False or multiple choice questions can be paired with a picture or a YouTube video (internet/wi-fi is needed).
KAHOOT is free and students/officials like it because it is competitive (points awarded) and interactive.
Check with some of the teachers in your group because many of them use this in their classrooms and they would be able to create a 10 question KAHOOT in less than an hour.
We used this at our last meeting on Monday and the KAHOOT included new rules questions and some important topics that the board wanted covered such as basket interference and backcourt violations.
This sounded interesting. It does not appear to be free however for the suggested use. It is free for K-12 teachers to use in their classes. It doesn't say anything about being free outside of that.
Old Thu Oct 18, 2018, 08:15am
The old new guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjc3 View Post

Our trainer used KAHOOT a few times for rules meetings and trainings. It is very interactive which keeps people engaged. It also shows how many of the participants were right or wrong giving the trainer a better idea on which rules or case book plays need emphasis. I thought it was a great tool.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old Thu Oct 18, 2018, 09:10am
Official Forum Member

Kahoot can be played in teams as well, which helps collaboration. Each team signs in with one device and it gives them a 5-second "team talk" time before the countdown clock starts.

Quizlet Live is another good one. You can create study sets and the game separates the players into groups. Everyone uses their own device and the first team to 12 correct answers without getting a question wrong wins the game.
Old Thu Oct 18, 2018, 01:11pm
This IS My Social Life

Rev. 3

Got this revised version of a PowerPoint including all the NFHS POE's and new rules smaller--now only760 mb. Lots of video clips illustrating all facets of each POE and new rule. It's intended that a trainer can select and delete the clips he doesn't desire to use. Still too large to view straight from GoogleDrive. Must download to your own computer to view. Revisable from there. Easy to break off into separate and smaller individual PowerPoint lessons as desired for use or distribution.
Feedback welcomed, if you have time to surf and survey this potential training resource.

PowerPoint format: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1LG...5PO1OyZEeRs0ed

YouTube video of the PowerPoint lesson: https://youtu.be/0XNPeV2t1kI

Last edited by Freddy; Thu Oct 25, 2018 at 04:00am.
Old Thu Oct 25, 2018, 03:56am
This IS My Social Life

Initial Preseason Association Rules Meeting

FYI for any trainers interested in a lesson to use for an initial pre-season association rules meeting which covers what's new and emphasized for '18-19 in NFHS. In downloadable and revisable PowerPoint format. Fit into a 1-1/2 hr. meeting, but it was admittedly a rushed process and didn't have time to go through all the video clips, so some selectivity might be recommended. Some interpretations might be applicable only in our state.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1wN...j-oaRHPavs6Rxw