The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Sep 25, 2018, 08:58pm
This IS My Social Life

New NFHS "Differences bet. NFHS and NCAA"

Just came out.
With all the fanfare released previously regarding "9-9-1 EXCEPTION", I at least thought it would deserve a mention in this (formerly appearing in the rules book but now only on the NFHS website) chart. But I guess not.

http://www.nfhs.org/media/1018592/nc...es_2018-19.pdf
Old Tue Sep 25, 2018, 10:09pm
Courageous When Prudent

Because NCAA Men's has a rule that says once a defender deflects the ball in the front court either team can retrieve it in the back court, the play that is alluded to in 9 - 9 - 1 Exception is ruled the same in both rulesets. So it is not a difference, therefore does not need to be mentioned in the chart.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old Tue Sep 25, 2018, 11:52pm
This IS My Social Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
Because NCAA Men's has a rule that says once a defender deflects the ball in the front court either team can retrieve it in the back court, the play that is alluded to in 9 - 9 - 1 Exception is ruled the same in both rulesets. So it is not a difference, therefore does not need to be mentioned in the chart.
Help me here, Raymond.

My understanding is that, NCAA-M has allowed in 9-12.5: "A pass or any other loose ball in the front court that is deflected by a defensive player, which causes the ball to go into the backcourt may be recovered by either team even if the offense was the last to touch the ball before it went into the backcourt."

However . . .

The addition to NFHS 9-9-1 doesn't go that far: "EXCEPTION:* Any player located in the backcourt may recover a ball deflected from the frontcourt by the defense.”

Last-to-touch...first-to-touch, though not applicable in this situation in NCAA-M, still applies in NFHS. Right?

If so, this is a major difference between NCAA-M and NFHS. Which should have been mentioned in the comparison chart.

Right?
Old Wed Sep 26, 2018, 01:06am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
Help me here, Raymond.

My understanding is that, NCAA-M has allowed in 9-12.5: "A pass or any other loose ball in the front court that is deflected by a defensive player, which causes the ball to go into the backcourt may be recovered by either team even if the offense was the last to touch the ball before it went into the backcourt."

However . . .

The addition to NFHS 9-9-1 doesn't go that far: "EXCEPTION:* Any player located in the backcourt may recover a ball deflected from the frontcourt by the defense.”

Last-to-touch...first-to-touch, though not applicable in this situation in NCAA-M, still applies in NFHS. Right?

If so, this is a major difference between NCAA-M and NFHS. Which should have been mentioned in the comparison chart.

Right?
There may be a difference in the wording of the rules, but for the exception, as written by the fed, the rulings would be the same in both NCAA men's and NFHS for this play.

Old Wed Sep 26, 2018, 03:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
There may be a difference in the wording of the rules, but for the exception, as written by the fed, the rulings would be the same in both NCAA men's and NFHS for this play.

It isn't clear to me if you're talking only about a more narrow case. Here is how I understand the two rules, and they are different.

The NCAA rule allows for an offensive touch (in the FC) after the defensive deflection (in the FC).

NFHS does not. The NFHS exception only allows (unnecessarily) an offensive player already in the backcourt to directly catch/touch a ball deflected by a defender (in the FC) without first letting it hit the floor in the BC. If the offense touches the ball in the FC after the defensive deflection, the exception doesn't apply.
Old Wed Sep 26, 2018, 07:40am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
It isn't clear to me if you're talking only about a more narrow case. Here is how I understand the two rules, and they are different.

The NCAA rule allows for an offensive touch (in the FC) after the defensive deflection (in the FC).

NFHS does not. The NFHS exception only allows (unnecessarily) an offensive player already in the backcourt to directly catch/touch a ball deflected by a defender (in the FC) without first letting it hit the floor in the BC. If the offense touches the ball in the FC after the defensive deflection, the exception doesn't apply.
I understand that. But NFHS "9-9-1 Exception" would not be a difference in the 2 rule sets since both sets would have the same ruling. Therefore there would be no reason to mention "9-9-1 Exception" specifically, as Freddy mused. In fact, when the original discussion about "9-9-1 Exception" came up here, I mentioned that the NCAA rule already allowed for the offense to retrieve the ball in this scenario.
Old Wed Sep 26, 2018, 08:41am
Official Forum Member

I think Freddy's point is that a list of NCAA/NFHS rules differences should include backcourt rulings on a ball deflected by the defense since the new exception did not align the 2 rules sets. The exception only makes one specific case the same.
Old Wed Sep 26, 2018, 09:43am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by john5396 View Post
I think Freddy's point is that a list of NCAA/NFHS rules differences should include backcourt rulings on a ball deflected by the defense since the new exception did not align the 2 rules sets. The exception only makes one specific case the same.
Maybe there should be, but there should be no mention of "9-9-1 Exception" because, as I have stated, there is no difference in the rulings in regards to the play "9-9-1 Exception" specifically targets.
Old Wed Sep 26, 2018, 12:43pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Stupid NFHS ...

NFHS Goaltending: Player touches the ball during a try/tap while it is in its downward flight entirely above the basket-ring level and has the possibility of entering the basket in flight.

They forgot the new rule (which used to be the old rule):

Goaltending is when a player touches the ball during a try, or tap, while it is in its downward flight, entirely above the basket ring level, outside the imaginary cylinder above the ring, and has the possibility of entering the basket.

If they were sloppy with this, what's makes everybody think that they paid as much attention to this chart as needed, and didn't make any other errors, or omissions.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Sep 26, 2018 at 03:40pm.