The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Sep 09, 2018, 06:56pm
Esteemed Forum Member

U.S. Open Tennis ...

I have absolutely no knowledge about tennis rules, but if a basketball coach ever called me “a liar” and “a thief for stealing a point” he would be sitting on a cold bus in the parking lot in a New York minute.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Sep 17, 2018 at 02:26pm.
Old Mon Sep 10, 2018, 08:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
I have absolutely no knowledge about tennis rules, but if a basketball coach ever called me “a liar” and “a thief for stealing a point” he would be sitting on a cold bus in the parking lot in a New York minute.
Not if that coach was Serena Williams, lol.
Old Tue Sep 11, 2018, 04:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky View Post
Not if that coach was Serena Williams, lol.
Speak for yourself.

No coach is above getting a technical foul from me. And the only time “thief” wouldn’t get penalized would be if I didn’t hear it.

Also, Serena is a sore loser, and always has been. Her history at the USO shows this. But, this is a basketball forum, so that’s as far as I’ll go.
Old Tue Sep 11, 2018, 06:52am
Official Forum Member

All penalties assigned match the violations and procedures within the rules.

The controversy here comes from the same place as it does in all sports, consistent application of the rule. Whether its the catch or leading with the helmet in football, what the crew last week let kids wear or how the game was called by other officials when we show up in basketball, etc etc. If there is a rule that is not consistently applied then people feel hard done by when it is applied. We would generally prefer more freedom and latitude then less.

Full Disclosure: I actually think she has a point, though its not one being made. I agree that pro athletes particularly the high paid male athletes/coaches get way too much latitude in terms of how they talk to each other, officials and represent their teams and brands. I don't think the sexism is her being penalized and think its every time we don't penalize for similar behaviour in any sport when men do it. I don't want her able to act out and get away with more of that behaviour I want the men to be able to get away with less. I'm ok with her being penalized and I would like everyone penalized more. I will now go back to yelling at kids to stay off my lawn.

Take away for officials:

- Your sport has a rule book, your assignor has expectations, you are always in Rome. These do not always align. Be sure you organize your decision making in accordance with the ones you feel are the priority to you.

- In the social media age, rhetoric and outrage are the norm. You being right or defensible is not going to be as important to discussion publically afterwards. Who is going to care or be upset should not influence a call or decision, but you need to accept the fact that your call might not just be boo'd in the gym but put online, super slow mo'd, recorded with your comments, and framed to prove someone else's point. While you might not be wrong , that won't always be the public story or perception even if you are supported internally by leagues, associations, assignors etc.

Me: Thanks, but why the big rush.

Coach: Oh I thought you must have a big date . . .we're not the only ones your planning on F$%&ing tonite are we!
Old Tue Sep 11, 2018, 08:03am
Official Forum Member

This same umpire has a reputation for being a "by the book" umpire, but also being very consistent about issuing code violations. He's sanctioned Andy Murray for saying "stupid umpiring," something that I think we all would agree is less egregious than Serena's "thief" remark. So her "sexist" rant is just balderdash as it relates to this situation; she has experienced real discrimination in her career, but this wasn't anywhere close to that. The only reason this is being discussed is because she was getting outplayed and the umpire was a male.

Sounds to me like Serena thought she was going to be able to bully Ramos into pandering to her, and he was having none of it and took care of business.

Basketball officials that won't give warranted T's could learn something from this.

Last edited by SC Official; Tue Sep 11, 2018 at 08:05am.
Old Tue Sep 11, 2018, 08:57am
Courageous When Prudent

Can we merge threads?
Old Tue Sep 11, 2018, 05:48pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Commonwealth English ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherdreams View Post
... behaviour ...
Pantherdreams: I love it when you speak Canadian.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Mon Sep 17, 2018, 10:36am
Official Forum Member

Some members on this thread just dont like a Black woman standing up to a man.
Old Mon Sep 17, 2018, 10:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maroonx View Post
Your posting history speaks for itself.
Old Mon Sep 17, 2018, 11:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
troll alert.
Old Mon Sep 17, 2018, 11:43am
This IS My Social Life

Quote:
If this had a "Like" button I would not click on it.
Old Mon Sep 17, 2018, 12:27pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Just My Two Cents ...

If Serena was purple, and if the official was green, Serena was still wrong, and she should have been penalized as she was.

Sitting here at my computer with my male white privilege on full display, along with my white Irish guilt, I believe that race, and/or gender, had very little to do with the situation.

"Soft warning"? Sounds like the equivalent of our stop sign, I'll let the tennis guys deal with that.

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Sep 17, 2018 at 01:37pm.
Old Mon Sep 17, 2018, 01:03pm
Official Forum Member

If she had pulled that stunt on a basketball court, she would receive one technical foul for calling me a thief, and for the demand that I apologize, SEE, YOU, LATER. I don't care that she's black and female, if she was a white man or a fa'afafine (a Samoan man who believes that he is a woman and acts like one) she would be getting the same treatment from me for acting like a jerk and questioning my integrity.
Old Mon Sep 17, 2018, 01:35pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Thief ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilyazhito View Post
If she had pulled that stunt on a basketball court, she would receive one technical foul for calling me a thief, and for the demand that I apologize, SEE, YOU, LATER.
"Liar" by itself, just a technical foul, no ejection (subject to an "upgrade" based on context, tone, volume, etc.).

"Thief for stealing a point", by itself, he, she, black, white, brown, gay, straight, Irish, Italian, French, German, Chinese, Japanese, Native American, Indian, Christian, Jewish, Muslim, Hindu, tall, short: all would be sitting on the cold bus in the parking lot.

"Apologize". Ejection? No way. It's a throw away comment, so I would simply walk away. I would walk away mad, but I would just walk away (with apologies to the Three Stooges).

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Sep 17, 2018 at 02:31pm.
Old Mon Sep 17, 2018, 02:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
"Apologize". Ejection? No way. It's a throw away comment, so I would simply walk away...
And chances are, when you walk away from a stupid comment like that, the coach is going to make such a scene that a T will call itself, anyway.