View Single Post
Old Tue Sep 11, 2018, 06:52am
Official Forum Member

All penalties assigned match the violations and procedures within the rules.

The controversy here comes from the same place as it does in all sports, consistent application of the rule. Whether its the catch or leading with the helmet in football, what the crew last week let kids wear or how the game was called by other officials when we show up in basketball, etc etc. If there is a rule that is not consistently applied then people feel hard done by when it is applied. We would generally prefer more freedom and latitude then less.

Full Disclosure: I actually think she has a point, though its not one being made. I agree that pro athletes particularly the high paid male athletes/coaches get way too much latitude in terms of how they talk to each other, officials and represent their teams and brands. I don't think the sexism is her being penalized and think its every time we don't penalize for similar behaviour in any sport when men do it. I don't want her able to act out and get away with more of that behaviour I want the men to be able to get away with less. I'm ok with her being penalized and I would like everyone penalized more. I will now go back to yelling at kids to stay off my lawn.

Take away for officials:

- Your sport has a rule book, your assignor has expectations, you are always in Rome. These do not always align. Be sure you organize your decision making in accordance with the ones you feel are the priority to you.

- In the social media age, rhetoric and outrage are the norm. You being right or defensible is not going to be as important to discussion publically afterwards. Who is going to care or be upset should not influence a call or decision, but you need to accept the fact that your call might not just be boo'd in the gym but put online, super slow mo'd, recorded with your comments, and framed to prove someone else's point. While you might not be wrong , that won't always be the public story or perception even if you are supported internally by leagues, associations, assignors etc.

Me: Thanks, but why the big rush.

Coach: Oh I thought you must have a big date . . .we're not the only ones your planning on F$%&ing tonite are we!