The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > General / Off-Topic

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Nov 02, 2006, 10:14am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TerpZebra
Tennis Officials

I saw an ad in the paper where they were looking for tennis officials. Anybody out there on the message board have experience with the USTA? Any idea of what the pay is for the lower levels? What about advancement opportunities? thanks for any information you can give me.
Old Wed Nov 08, 2006, 12:25pm
Official Forum Member

USTA experience

I play lots of USTA leagues and Tourneys. I know several umpire/referee's.

They very rarely do individual matches. They mainly run tourneys (settling rule questions, appointing court monitors. Mostly weekend work. Though I believe colleges are required to have 1 or 2 refs on site. Looked into it a little. Just doesn't seem to be a whole lot going on. And what is happening is taken by those who have been around awhile......
Old Sun Dec 03, 2006, 02:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerpZebra
I saw an ad in the paper where they were looking for tennis officials. Anybody out there on the message board have experience with the USTA? Any idea of what the pay is for the lower levels? What about advancement opportunities? thanks for any information you can give me.
I am a USTA official and really enjoy it. The lower level pay varies, but most of the time it is around $60 a day in my area (PA) for a lower level.

You can start doing college (ITA) matches almost right away. They pay a lot better, $120 for a 3-4 hour match.

Depending on how much you are willing to travel, advancement opprotunities are there. I am a college students, so during the summer I have the chance to travel a lot and do the "minor leagues," the $10k-$50k events around the country.

If you have any other questions, PM me.
Old Tue Dec 05, 2006, 07:57pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ToGreySt
Hi,

I'm looking into a USTA membership and I'm wondering what the season is like, when does the college season run? how many events do you do in a season?

thanks,
Old Tue Dec 05, 2006, 10:33pm
Official Forum Member

The season really runs all year long because of indoor courts. The college season also runs for most of the school year, with it differing a bit between divisions.

As far as events in a year, I have had to cut down a ton because of college. Right now, I am doing only 5 or so events a year. However, the year before I went to college I did over 30 events.
Old Thu Dec 07, 2006, 08:53am
Official Forum Member

Toadman

Hey Toadman do you work in the Norcal area. In the spring/summer we have more than our fair share of these events. 10K-50K...Had Philoppous here 2 months ago. Also biggest names you have ever officiated ? Biggest college match ? Just curious
Old Tue Dec 12, 2006, 08:55pm
Official Forum Member

I agree with Toadman15241 .
not bad!