The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Aug 16, 2018, 03:29pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilyazhito View Post
I don't know if the public (or powers-that-be) have been paying attention. Some associations have varsity development programs, where officials are taught 3-person mechanics, work non-scholastic 3-person games attend dedicated camps, and are evaluated for progress to the varsity level. My modest proposal is just for more associations to implement this, and a more expanded vision of what such programs should look like.
Who are these "powers that be" you speak of? Camps in our state are a required part of our licensing. We must attend camps in our particular sports every three years. In basketball, that involves attending 3 person camps (the only sport that has an on-court requirement on some level). There is nothing in the requirements that require we must work scholastic games. And almost always associations or assignors run these camps. I am a certified clinician in my state and I ran two camps for two different associations. I also attended a camp in another state that ran a camp that was organized by the LOA. This has been the case for over 20 years BTW in Illinois. The structure is a little different, but basically, associations have been running camps almost my entire career. Nothing new or special needs to be shared. Remember you just got into this, some of us have been doing this for years.

Peace
Old Thu Aug 16, 2018, 04:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Who are these "powers that be" you speak of? Camps in our state are a required part of our licensing. We must attend camps in our particular sports every three years. In basketball, that involves attending 3 person camps (the only sport that has an on-court requirement on some level). There is nothing in the requirements that require we must work scholastic games. And almost always associations or assignors run these camps. I am a certified clinician in my state and I ran two camps for two different associations. I also attended a camp in another state that ran a camp that was organized by the LOA. This has been the case for over 20 years BTW in Illinois. The structure is a little different, but basically, associations have been running camps almost my entire career. Nothing new or special needs to be shared. Remember you just got into this, some of us have been doing this for years.

Peace
Maybe I should move to IL to work . Some associations in MD have got the memo (MBOA conducts a camp every year to evaluate its officials), but MD as a state does not use camps to license officials the way that IL (and other states) do, so training is left to the devices of each local association. VA doesn't appear to have camp requirements either, unless Raymond or the other users from the Commonwealth of Virginia have something else to say. I like what you have described, it just needs to be more widespread.
Old Thu Aug 16, 2018, 06:42pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
.... VA doesn't appear to have camp requirements either, unless Raymond or the other users from the Commonwealth of Virginia have something else to say. I like what you have described, it just needs to be more widespread.
No Virginia does not. Again, you are not bringing up anything new. People have discussed how involved a state should be before. The VHSL is actually pulling back from oversight of basketball officials. They no longer conduct a state eval camp to select new state tournament officials. And for the state finals and semi-finals, they no longer choose the individual officials themselves. They assign each game to an association and the association chooses whom to send. They used to also have a state level newcomers camp but they ceased that a few years ago.

So what you want in a Utopian national high school landscape is not going to happen. States are going to do their own thing, and they have no reason not to. Public school games only affect that respective state, so why should they care or worry about what other states are doing?

Again, don't get sidetracked. Do you have video of yourself from your last camp?
Old Thu Aug 16, 2018, 07:05pm
Official Forum Member

I don't have video from MBOA camp, because I never worked in the gym that was filmed, but I'll ask Que'z if there was video of me at the Level One Camp. If I can get film from Matt Myers or the leagues that I'll be working in next season, that could also help.
Old Thu Aug 16, 2018, 07:54pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Maybe I should move to IL to work . Some associations in MD have got the memo (MBOA conducts a camp every year to evaluate its officials), but MD as a state does not use camps to license officials the way that IL (and other states) do, so training is left to the devices of each local association. VA doesn't appear to have camp requirements either, unless Raymond or the other users from the Commonwealth of Virginia have something else to say. I like what you have described, it just needs to be more widespread.
For the record, the state does not run the camps. There is one camp they run at their annual conference, but there are no camps outside of those that are run directly by the IHSA. Associations, assignors or conferences run camps because at least in basketball, it is customary for them to use this to evaluate officials for their conferences for assigning. And many associations want to give their officials a chance to train officials. It also must be noted that it is hard to run a camp if you have no tournament, league or level willing to give us that chance to use their games as a training environment.

Peace
Old Thu Aug 16, 2018, 08:03pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Local Camps ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
It also must be noted that it is hard to run a camp if you have no tournament, league, or level willing to give us that chance to use their games as a training environment.
Good point. That's why we had to stop running our local evaluation and training camp. We now have only one weekend day camp for the entire state, only for inexperienced officials. If one wants anything else, one has to pay the big bucks to attend an overnight camp in another state (though our local board does offer some scholarship money).
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)