The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 03, 2003, 11:27am
Official Forum Member

With the season winding down here, I have been contemplating the college level. Here, in New Brunswick, doing college games means three person instead of two person crews which are used for all high school games. It also means going from FIBA rules (HS) to NCAA rules (Men's Colege).

For those familiar with this, how difficult do you find it to go from 2 men to 3 men (and back) on a regular basis?

Thanks.
Old Mon Mar 03, 2003, 11:40am
Jerry Blum

Going from 2 to 3-man mechanics isn't all that difficult. The only thing that you will probably have some problems with is switching and rotations to start with. The problems I have when doing a 3-man after the majority of my games are 2-man is worrying more about where I am supposed to be than I am about making sure I call the game.

Make sure to get a good pregame with your partners and decide exactly how you are going to switch on each situation and how you are going to rotate. That way when a situation comes up you've talked about it and know what everyone is going to do.

I would think that the big issue you would have would be switching back and forth from FIBA to NCAA men's.
Old Mon Mar 03, 2003, 12:00pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
After a couple seasons of using both 2-whistle and 3-whistle mechanics, I have no problems doing a 3-whistle game after doing lots of 2-whistle. For me, the problem is that when I revert back to the 2-whistle games, I tend to forget that as the Lead, I have responsibilities outside the 3-point line.

chuck
Old Mon Mar 03, 2003, 12:05pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
After a couple seasons of using both 2-whistle and 3-whistle mechanics, I have no problems doing a 3-whistle game after doing lots of 2-whistle. For me, the problem is that when I revert back to the 2-whistle games, I tend to forget that as the Lead, I have responsibilities outside the 3-point line.

chuck
Same with me, I also find I need to remember I have the sideline on L side when doing 2 man - I've had a game or 2 where the ball flies OOB on my sideline with no whistle.
Old Mon Mar 03, 2003, 12:32pm
Official Forum Member

I believe the biggest problem you may have is ensuring you call you area and that you do not cross into your partners area.. I find that the area's are more defined in 3 man.

The biggest problem would be as lead in 3 man. You may have a habit of stretching across the key to make a call where that should be the centre's call.

Once you do a few games along with a detailed pre game you should be ok.

Good luck.

Old Mon Mar 03, 2003, 01:54pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Jay R
With the season winding down here, I have been contemplating the college level. Here, in New Brunswick, doing college games means three person instead of two person crews which are used for all high school games. It also means going from FIBA rules (HS) to NCAA rules (Men's Colege).

For those familiar with this, how difficult do you find it to go from 2 men to 3 men (and back) on a regular basis?

Thanks.
Jay R,
It ain't rocket science.
If you want it, you'll have no trouble.
mick
Old Mon Mar 03, 2003, 02:18pm
Official Forum Member

Leave it to Mick to put things in perspective. Thanks for your comments.

Does anyone have a link for NCAA rules. Are they available on-line. Also, where could I purchase a copy? Case book as well?
Old Mon Mar 03, 2003, 02:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Leave it to Mick to put things in perspective. Thanks for your comments.

Does anyone have a link for NCAA rules. Are they available on-line. Also, where could I purchase a copy? Case book as well?
http://www.ncaa.org/champadmin (sheesh -- doesn't anyone even *try* to find things on their own)

The "case book" is integrated in the rules book.

Old Mon Mar 03, 2003, 02:44pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
I get my books yearly from Honigs. One rule book and mechanics for men and mechanics for women.

To stay on top of the changes visit:
http://www.ncaa.org/champadmin/baske...ing_bulletins/

...Attend a college clinic.
Old Mon Mar 03, 2003, 03:46pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:
For me, the problem is that when I revert back to the 2-whistle games, I tend to forget that as the Lead, I have responsibilities outside the 3-point line.
Same with me, I also find I need to remember I have the sideline on L side when doing 2 man
I believe that would fall under "responsibilities outside the 3-point line"!!

Chuck
Old Mon Mar 03, 2003, 04:03pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:
For me, the problem is that when I revert back to the 2-whistle games, I tend to forget that as the Lead, I have responsibilities outside the 3-point line.
Same with me, I also find I need to remember I have the sideline on L side when doing 2 man
I believe that would fall under "responsibilities outside the 3-point line"!!

Chuck
I think, in Women, the Lead has outside the arc below the FT line, yet the Trail has the Sideline.
...Weird!