The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jul 16, 2018, 05:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBleach85 View Post
These are all great things to have in your pregame so please keep adding on if you are able to. Here are a few things in my pregame that I use some of these overlaps between HS and College.

New Rules or POEs (usually early in the season)
Team or coach information
Double whistles
Last second shot
Unusual plays
The "4 C's" (Cataloging, Consistency, Communication, Calling the Obvious/Calling the rules as written)
Plays at the basket/Rebounding
What would be some other college-only topics, other than the shot clock (If your state uses a shot clock for high school games, make sure that you use the correct rules)? The shot clock rules would probably be a separate section of the pregame, done briefly when mentioning positional responsibilities (T and C are usually responsible for shooters, so they would be responsible for potential shot clock violations). Restricted area responsibilities would probably fall under either primary coverage areas or double whistles. If you are working with college officials who also do high school, maybe a reminder at the beginning that today is a college game, and mention the key differences between college and HS rules? Anything else I am missing or not understanding properly?
Old Mon Jul 16, 2018, 05:33pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
I don't have access to a NFHS Mechanics Manual and/or signal chart, but I do know that this is not an official IAABO mechanic and/or signal. "Connecticut only" means that our state interpreter has encouraged us to go "outside the IAABO box" for this specific play.
We do a lot of things that are not "approved" but they are just things you do to officiate. Not everything we do goes through some committee to decide what to do.

Quote:
We used to have another "Connecticut only" mechanic: No long switches in the backcourt when there is no change in possession unless free throws are going to be attempted.

When done correctly, it worked great. Foul on the defense in the backcourt, no free throws, trail moves up to the reporting area, reports the foul and moves back into the backcourt to administer the throwin. Lead stays put. Simple. Right?
We do basically the same thing in Illinois. But why would you need to have this conversation about your state as something specific? Even if we have people from other states, we do not need to get into what other states do as a norm because most people do not work in other states in my experience.

Quote:
The problem was that we had many officials who either didn't understand the mechanic, or were downright lazy. We had varsity guys in high school varsity games not switching like they were in a recreation or travel game. We had guys not switch on player control fouls. It lasted a year, or two, and we had to go back to switching on all fouls.
OK. We have issues with our long switch rules because people usually are confused and do it wrong. Not a big deal and even when we talk about it, people still screw up. It is more of a laugh off thing here.

Peace
Old Mon Jul 16, 2018, 06:06pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Look It Up ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
We do a lot of things that are not "approved"
We don't. Other than the "Connecticut only" exceptions, we (meaning our local high school assignment board) do everything by the book, the IAABO Mechanics Manual. That's how we train new officials. That's what we base our continuing education on. New officials can learn, among other ways, by "looking it up". Older officials can get a questions answered by, among other ways, "looking it up". That's what young officials, looking for good role models, observe veteran officials doing. That's a part, and only a part, of how we evaluate officials. For an official looking to improve their mechanics, either a rookie, or a veteran, it's less confusing if everybody is doing everything the same way. Consistency is a good thing.

Quote:
But why would you need to have this conversation about your state as something specific?
Because that's the way we do it in Connecticut. We don't know, and we really don't care, what other IAABO states are doing. Do other IAABO states follow the IAABO Mechanics Manual 100%? Do other states, like Connecticut, make some slight changes to the IAABO Mechanics Manual? We really don't care.

If I move out of state, then I'll have to know, and I'll have to care, but I sincerely doubt that that will happen.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Jul 16, 2018 at 06:20pm.
Old Mon Jul 16, 2018, 06:24pm
Do not give a damn!!

Billy you kind of missed the point. I was not suggesting that it is always OK to use signals that have not been approved. My point is that many areas have mechanics that are not talked about. For example, do you guys have a signal to tell your partners the bonus situation? Did you guys use a kick signal before it was an actual approved signal? What about the "run the end line" signal? So if you didn't, then your area must have been the only one not using those signals, because they were very common in my area and when I watched games on TV before those signals were approved. It was not a big deal. That is why I asked the question I did about your emphasis on "Connecticut only" mechanic.

And also I actually love the IAABO "You make the ruling" videos, but much of the officials are using signals that are not approved. Not sure where all the videos come from, but I doubt these games are just anyone calling these games. These games look like big tournaments or state tournament level games.

Peace
Old Mon Jul 16, 2018, 06:28pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Laziness ...

Quote:
We have issues with our long switch rules because people usually are confused and do it wrong.
At least your guys had a half-good reason, confusion. Better than laziness, which is the problem we had here in Connecticut, and the main reason why we went back to switching on every foul.

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Mon Jul 16, 2018, 06:39pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Hook 'Em Horns ...

Quote:
I was not suggesting that it is always OK to use signals that have not been approved. My point is that many areas have mechanics that are not talked about. For example, do you guys have a signal to tell your partners the bonus situation? Did you guys use a kick signal before it was an actual approved signal? What about the "run the end line" signal?
Good points. Bonus? We all do it, most orally, some with the "Hook 'Em Horns" signal. Kick? We've been using this signal forever, yet it's not in my oldest books (I would have bet a lot of money that it was always in the book). Run the endline? Always.

OK. You got me. We go "by the book" 98% of the time.

Old Mon Jul 16, 2018, 09:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilyazhito View Post
What would be some other college-only topics, other than the shot clock (If your state uses a shot clock for high school games, make sure that you use the correct rules)? The shot clock rules would probably be a separate section of the pregame, done briefly when mentioning positional responsibilities (T and C are usually responsible for shooters, so they would be responsible for potential shot clock violations). Restricted area responsibilities would probably fall under either primary coverage areas or double whistles. If you are working with college officials who also do high school, maybe a reminder at the beginning that today is a college game, and mention the key differences between college and HS rules? Anything else I am missing or not understanding properly?
Some of the other college topics that would be in my pregame is just making sure we remember certain aspects such as advancing the ball in the last minute of the 4th period. Along with remembering the .3 rule and also how do we handle Unsportsmanlike and Disqualifying fouls along with fouls of equal gravity.
Old Mon Jul 16, 2018, 09:53pm
Official Forum Member

I would never make it to the court from a BillyMac pregame. I would already have died in the locker room.
Old Mon Jul 16, 2018, 10:11pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Ain't My First Rodeo ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODog View Post
I would never make it to the court from a BillyMac pregame.
The length and breadth of my pregame depends on who my partner is, whether, or not, we've worked together before, how recently we've worked together (my local board has over 300 officials and we do not work as crews or teams as in some locales), and their experience level. In any case, my pregame, as the referee, will never just be, "Good eye contact", however, if I'm the umpire, and if I'm working with a grizzled veteran, that may be the full extent of our pregame. I've been around the block several times. I know who's in charge and when to keep my mouth shut.

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Jul 16, 2018 at 10:47pm.
Old Mon Jul 16, 2018, 10:33pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Change From Year To Year ...

Quote:
Connecticut Only
Point to floor for two point field goal try when shooter has foot touching three point line.
Team members are not allowed to congregate at division line, or on school logo, during introductions.
Captains, Head Coaches, Officials pregame meeting should occur prior to start of game. If the head coach
refuses to attend the meeting, notify Commissioner.
Quote:
But why would you need to have this conversation about your state as something specific?
Sorry JRutledge. I didn't really answer your question the first time and just realized this while rereading the thread.

The "Connecticut Only" section is not really a regular part of my pregame. I put it with the Rule Changes, and Points of Emphasis, because like them, these "Connecticut Only" items may change from year to year. I will only mention a "Connecticut Only" item in my pregame when there is a new change, which hasn't happened in several years, and like the Rule Changes, and Points of Emphasis, only pregame these at the beginning of the season.

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Jul 16, 2018 at 10:45pm.
Old Tue Jul 17, 2018, 07:23am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
..If you are working with college officials who also do high school, maybe a reminder at the beginning that today is a college game, and mention the key differences between college and HS rules? ...
It's very presumptuous for any official to assume his/her partner needs a reminder about which rule set is being used.

In a HS pre-game, discuss HS mechanics, rules, and signals. In a college pre-game, discuss college mechanics, rules, and signals. If someone is confused or needs clarification they need to ask on their own.
Old Tue Jul 17, 2018, 07:32am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
This (above) seems to be already covered by this (below):

2011-12 NFHS POINTS OF EMPHASIS: 1. SPORTING BEHAVIOR. The NFHS Basketball Rules Committee continues to be concerned about the following behaviors: A. Pregame Situations ... Gatherings intended to motivate a team after the warm-up period, during or following player introductions ... should be performed in the area directly in front of the team bench.

I believe that we stress this here in Connecticut because we had several incidents in the state of visiting players spitting on the home team's jump ball circle logo during pregame introductions. Our state interscholastic sports governing body wants officials to prevent such behavior.
Why weren't officials calling Technical Fouls for this behavior?

Quote:
Plus, if we didn't list it as a "Connecticut only", those who became officials after 2011-12 wouldn't know about this NFHS Point of Emphasis. ...
Well, that is not "Connecticut only". It's in the Virginia pre-season NFHS rules clinic every year.
Old Tue Jul 17, 2018, 09:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
It's very presumptuous for any official to assume his/her partner needs a reminder about which rule set is being used.

In a HS pre-game, discuss HS mechanics, rules, and signals. In a college pre-game, discuss college mechanics, rules, and signals. If someone is confused or needs clarification they need to ask on their own.
I was being serious about the reminder [/sarcasm]. Maybe I need to overload my posts with emoticons, to assist the humor-challenged .

However, veteran officials who work mostly one game or the other might not be familiar with the aspects of the other game, such as a college official being invited to work a high school playoff game (assuming he works the minimum amount of varsity required in his state to be eligible for playoffs), or a high school official being occasionally called on to do the odd JuCo or DIII game. In that case, a short "OK, we're doing high school/college tonight. Any questions?" might be good to start the discussion. Officials new to the college level might also benefit from a reminder, as well as going over the differences in rules and procedures. However, this would be up to the judgement of the R that day.
Old Tue Jul 17, 2018, 10:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I was being serious about the reminder [/sarcasm]. Maybe I need to overload my posts with emoticons, to assist the humor-challenged .
You have a tendency to overstate the obvious, so it is no surprise that your attempts at humor and sarcasm often go unrecognized. You also lecture, often in response to comments by officials who began working before you were even born.
Old Tue Jul 17, 2018, 11:17am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:

However, veteran officials who work mostly one game or the other might not be familiar with the aspects of the other game, such as a college official being invited to work a high school playoff game (assuming he works the minimum amount of varsity required in his state to be eligible for playoffs), or a high school official being occasionally called on to do the odd JuCo or DIII game. In that case, a short "OK, we're doing high school/college tonight. Any questions?" might be good to start the discussion. Officials new to the college level might also benefit from a reminder, as well as going over the differences in rules and procedures. However, this would be up to the judgement of the R that day.
So you have worked a college game? How do you know what officials at that level know and you have never worked a game at that level?

Peace