The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jun 08, 2018, 03:19pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Question Is the rule the same?

I just watched another TV show that had college level players in a drama (CSI). I noticed again that a lot of the jersey numbers wouldn't be allowed in NF games - one digit numbers from 6 through 9 and two digit numbers where either one of those numbers wouldn't be allowed.

Is the rule different in college level and those numbers are allowed?
Old Fri Jun 08, 2018, 03:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
I just watched another TV show that had college level players in a drama (CSI). I noticed again that a lot of the jersey numbers wouldn't be allowed in NF games - one digit numbers from 6 through 9 and two digit numbers where either one of those numbers wouldn't be allowed.

Is the rule different in college level and those numbers are allowed?
NFHS and NCAA are the same.

TV is different, as always.
Old Fri Jun 08, 2018, 10:07pm
Official Forum Member

It's fairly rare to see a TV show get it right, unless the writers are college basketball fans or something.
Old Sat Jun 09, 2018, 06:46am
Esteemed Forum Member

How Does This Blue Font Thing Work ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwburke94 View Post
It's fairly rare to see a TV show get it right, unless the writers are college basketball fans or something.
Yeah. As we all know, fans are experts at knowing all the rules, especially the uniform and equipment rules.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sat Jun 09, 2018, 09:57pm
Official Forum Member

The rule for uniform numbers is the same in high school and college. 00 and 0 are allowed, but not both. Also, only digits from 0 to 5 are allowed, so CSI did a lazy job with that plot. The only basketball rule sets where digits 6 and up are allowed are NBA (2 hands used for numbers greater than 5) and FIBA (2 hands for numbers greater than 5, and reversing the hands to show that a given digit is in the tens place).
Old Sun Jun 10, 2018, 05:14am
Esteemed Forum Member

And Thank God For That ... ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilyazhito View Post
... digits 6 and up are allowed are NBA ...
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Jun 10, 2018 at 07:46am.
Old Sun Jun 17, 2018, 11:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilyazhito View Post
The rule for uniform numbers is the same in high school and college. 00 and 0 are allowed, but not both. Also, only digits from 0 to 5 are allowed, so CSI did a lazy job with that plot. The only basketball rule sets where digits 6 and up are allowed are NBA (2 hands used for numbers greater than 5) and FIBA (2 hands for numbers greater than 5, and reversing the hands to show that a given digit is in the tens place).
kinda-sorta

in FIBA for numbers 11-15 are shown with your right hand in a clenched fist and your left hand showing the first digit.

example left index finger and right closed fist is 11- different than the North American rule sets that use 2 handed reporting.
Old Sun Jun 17, 2018, 02:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by constable View Post
kinda-sorta

in FIBA for numbers 11-15 are shown with your right hand in a clenched fist and your left hand showing the first digit.

example left index finger and right closed fist is 11- different than the North American rule sets that use 2 handed reporting.
Indeed, I forgot to mention this detail, but I do know that an "open fist" is 0, a clenched fist on the right hand is 10. Any decades above that would be shown by reversing the hands, and then showing the number in the proper orientation. If there is a number with digits greater than 5 in both the tens and ones place (e.g. 67), the official would report the number as "reverse-6", and then 7. However, the point remains that NBA and FIBA are the only basketball rule sets that allow numbers greater than 5 to be worn on a player's uniform (Ignore this for AAU and other "unorganized" leagues or tournaments).