http://nfhs.org/articles/exception-t...ketball-rules/
Old Mon May 14, 2018, 10:30am
Do not give a damn!!

No shot clock!!!

This is what I expected.

Peace
Old Mon May 14, 2018, 10:31am
Courageous When Prudent

And we can now officially put an end to the most bemoaned rule in this forum's history:

An exception was approved to note that any player who was located in the backcourt may recover a ball that is deflected from the frontcourt by the defense.
Old Mon May 14, 2018, 10:36am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
And we can now officially put an end to the most bemoaned rule in this forum's history:

An exception was approved to note that any player who was located in the backcourt may recover a ball that is deflected from the frontcourt by the defense.
The only issue left is are they going to take on the NCAA Rule in total or are they going to play games with the language to confuse the issue?

I hope they just take on the rule from the NCAA and leave it at that. Now no more having to state, "That is not the NF Rule" to coaches or even other officials.

Peace
Old Mon May 14, 2018, 10:54am
Official Forum Member

I never really had an issue with this rule when it came to coaches. In the event that one did complain, it went something like this:

“But the ball was tipped!”
“Yes, Coach, but your player was the last to touch it.” That almost always ended the dispute.

That being said, I don’t really have any issue with this change. Deflection = anyone can touch it. Easy enough.

Another year, another rules update without the shot clock. Just the way it should be.
Old Mon May 14, 2018, 12:12pm
Ok is the new good

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
This is what I expected.

Peace
Basically, not a big year for changes. You were not anticipating more changes?
Old Mon May 14, 2018, 12:14pm
Ok is the new good

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
I never really had an issue with this rule when it came to coaches. In the event that one did complain, it went something like this:

“But the ball was tipped!”
“Yes, Coach, but your player was the last to touch it.” That almost always ended the dispute.

That being said, I don’t really have any issue with this change. Deflection = anyone can touch it. Easy enough.

Another year, another rules update without the shot clock. Just the way it should be.
Eight States currently use a shot clock, why all the resistance since shot clock is used at all other higher levels of basketball?
Old Mon May 14, 2018, 12:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Rookie View Post
Eight States currently use a shot clock, why all the resistance since shot clock is used at all other higher levels of basketball?
Eight states forfeited their voice on the rules committee, as well.

It's a solution in search of a problem at the high school level. It won't make bad basketball any better; it will just make it worse.

You can't compare the high school level to higher levels on this issue. Most high school players (not to mention wreck ball players, where the leagues also use NFHS rules) are not playing at the next level, so quite frankly it's not the NFHS's job to prepare players for those levels. Also, there are enough bad tables at lower level colleges–you really want to add a shot clock into the responsibilities of already bad tables at the varsity level all the way down to wreck ball?

I could go on.
Old Mon May 14, 2018, 12:31pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Basically, not a big year for changes. You were not anticipating more changes?
Not really. I think there is a trend to not make wholesale changes with the NF. For example football changes this year were very minimal as well. I was mostly figuring that they were not going to bring in the shot clock or the RA as some suggested was seriously on the table to be added.

Peace
Old Mon May 14, 2018, 12:36pm
Official Forum Member

Administrators. No shot clock was proposed this year, but I wouldn't be surprised to see one coming in the next few years, once the old guard of administrators retire.

Why would administrators not want a shot clock? Money is one factor (ADs would have to pay for the shot clock, and would have to use a combination of state (or local) tax money and booster club money to do so), and change is another one. Administrators are used to basketball without a shot clock, so it is their normal. They may not know (or care) about basketball at other levels having a shot clock (and being better for it, IMO). Even if they do know, they may be uncomfortable "rocking the boat" to change high school basketball in their state, or nationally, unless there is enough demand from their state to make them feel uncomfortable. MD, NY, MA, CA, WA, DC, RI, ND, and SD have all had demands from coaches to adopt the shot clock, and have adopted it. IL, WI, and other states are considering it, as seen in news articles on the internet. I have been told by an anonymous source that officials and coaches on the NFHS committee are overwhelmingly in support of the shot clock, but administrators are against it. If the rules committee has significant membership changes, then it would not be surprising to see NFHS adopting a shot clock. In the meantime, keep sending proposals to your local state rules interpreters if you want shot clocks, changes to the bonus rule, etc.
Old Mon May 14, 2018, 12:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post

I don't believe that is what they're saying. Maybe it is, but I think we'll have to see when the actual rule comes out.

I think they may be just correcting the erroneous interpretation that has been out for a few years. A deflection by B that goes directly to A who is already in the backcourt shouldn't have ever been considered a violation but someone on the committee that is apparently ESL thought it was. Now they're changing a rule to mean what it always meant.
Old Mon May 14, 2018, 12:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Completely unnecessary...will make more games worse than it will make better.
Old Mon May 14, 2018, 12:52pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilyazhito View Post
Administrators. No shot clock was proposed this year, but I wouldn't be surprised to see one coming in the next few years, once the old guard of administrators retire.

Why would administrators not want a shot clock? Money is one factor (ADs would have to pay for the shot clock, and would have to use a combination of state (or local) tax money and booster club money to do so), and change is another one. Administrators are used to basketball without a shot clock, so it is their normal. They may not know (or care) about basketball at other levels having a shot clock (and being better for it, IMO). Even if they do know, they may be uncomfortable "rocking the boat" to change high school basketball in their state, or nationally, unless there is enough demand from their state to make them feel uncomfortable. MD, NY, MA, CA, WA, DC, RI, ND, and SD have all had demands from coaches to adopt the shot clock, and have adopted it. IL, WI, and other states are considering it, as seen in news articles on the internet. I have been told by an anonymous source that officials and coaches on the NFHS committee are overwhelmingly in support of the shot clock, but administrators are against it. If the rules committee has significant membership changes, then it would not be surprising to see NFHS adopting a shot clock. In the meantime, keep sending proposals to your local state rules interpreters if you want shot clocks, changes to the bonus rule, etc.
WI is not considering it at the moment. They adopted it and the administrator backlash was so severe, they rescinded it.

As long as administrators are on the committee to keep coaches in check, it won't go national.
Old Mon May 14, 2018, 12:53pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilyazhito View Post
MD, NY, MA, CA, WA, DC, RI, ND, and SD have all had demands from coaches to adopt the shot clock, and have adopted it. IL, WI, and other states are considering it, as seen in news articles on the internet. I have been told by an anonymous source that officials and coaches on the NFHS committee are overwhelmingly in support of the shot clock, but administrators are against it. If the rules committee has significant membership changes, then it would not be surprising to see NFHS adopting a shot clock. In the meantime, keep sending proposals to your local state rules interpreters if you want shot clocks, changes to the bonus rule, etc.
You are actually very wrong about Illinois. Illinois was not the usage of the shot clock this outside of the NF. All that was discussed is it was possible and there were people in the know that thought this "could pass" this year. It did not pass, so I would suspect the IHSA would not do anything outside of these rules changes this year. It is not the IHSA's style to do such a thing this drastic. And if the shot clock came into play in the NF Rules this year, the IHSA said it would not have been this coming year (that was stated to clinicians throughout the state) because of cost primarily. Not a major problem in this state. Many of the top teams play an uptempo style and score in the 50s and 60s is not unusual (at least on the boy's side).

Peace
Old Mon May 14, 2018, 01:16pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
I don't believe that is what they're saying. Maybe it is, but I think we'll have to see when the actual rule comes out.

I think they may be just correcting the erroneous interpretation that has been out for a few years. A deflection by B that goes directly to A who is already in the backcourt shouldn't have ever been considered a violation but someone on the committee that is apparently ESL thought it was. Now they're changing a rule to mean what it always meant.
It appears they went to the NCAA Rule that was changed last year.

I am cautious that we do not know what is official until we see the final rule (Someone said it takes the NF 3 years to get a rule right), but they seemed to take the NCAA language in describing the rule change. Because if they are trying to advocate a previous mistake, then they could do that editorially, not with a rules change.

Time will ultimately tell. You certainly gave me pause, but I do not see how this is not the NCAA change that was made last year?

Peace