The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Apr 09, 2018, 06:49pm
Esteemed Forum Member

That's All I Can Stands ...

... I can't stands no more. (Popeye)

I watch CNN while working out at the gym and I've seen this commercial dozens of times.

It's a commercial for Humira. A woman realizes that although she's trying to manage her ulcerative colitis, her fear of reoccurring symptoms means she's missing out on special family moments. At her son's basketball game, she's distracted by her discomfort and must step out, just before her son makes a three pointer.

I want to scream every time I see it.

1) Son, and a his teammates, are wearing red jerseys with the name of their school, "Central", on the front of the jersey. The son, and a few of his teammates, are wearing white undershirts under their red jerseys.

2) Immediately after the game, the son, still wearing his sweaty, dirty, game worn uniform, is standing in line, with his dad, at the salad bar of a restaurant, getting ready to enjoy a post game meal with his family.

Don't kids learn proper hygiene any more? Back when I was his age, after our games, and practices, all of us would shower, and put on our street clothes. I would never even consider wearing my smelly uniform, or dirty practice stuff, outside the gym, especially to a public place like a restaurant.

I hope that the family sitting next to them at the restaurant brought some Lysol, or Febreze, with them.

Now I feel better. Would someone please help me down from this soapbox before I fall and get hurt? After this I'm going to yell at some kids to get off of my front lawn.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Mon Apr 09, 2018, 06:52pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Moderate to severe ulcerative colitis.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Old Mon Apr 09, 2018, 08:19pm
Official Forum Member

Those were your only problems with the commercial? Not thst the kid didn't forcus on the game? His coach? Or his teamates?....
Old Mon Apr 09, 2018, 09:14pm
Official Forum Member

I get sick to my stomach everytime I look at CNN.....
Old Mon Apr 09, 2018, 10:10pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Punch (In The Stomach) Line ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multiple Sports View Post
I get sick to my stomach everytime I look at CNN
I've got the cure. Here it comes. Be ready. You've guessed it.

Get a prescription for Humira.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Mon Apr 09, 2018, 11:04pm
Do not give a damn!!

Billy on another island again.

Peace

Last edited by JRutledge; Mon Apr 09, 2018 at 11:08pm.
Old Mon Apr 09, 2018, 11:20pm
Official Forum Member

This smells like a typical BMac thread.....he starts it and then pads his thread total with mindless responses.....
Old Tue Apr 10, 2018, 05:49am
Esteemed Forum Member

Better Then Getting Voted Off The Island ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Billy on another island again.
Just BillyMac tilting at windmills.

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Apr 10, 2018 at 05:59am.
Old Tue Apr 10, 2018, 06:45am
Official Forum Member

If the mother has ulcerative colitis, I don't think the son's smelly gym clothes are going to be noticed.
Old Wed Apr 11, 2018, 04:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
... I can't stands no more. (Popeye)

I watch CNN while working out at the gym and I've seen this commercial dozens of times.

It's a commercial for Humira. A woman realizes that although she's trying to manage her ulcerative colitis, her fear of reoccurring symptoms means she's missing out on special family moments. At her son's basketball game, she's distracted by her discomfort and must step out, just before her son makes a three pointer.

I want to scream every time I see it.

1) Son, and a his teammates, are wearing red jerseys with the name of their school, "Central", on the front of the jersey. The son, and a few of his teammates, are wearing white undershirts under their red jerseys.

2) Immediately after the game, the son, still wearing his sweaty, dirty, game worn uniform, is standing in line, with his dad, at the salad bar of a restaurant, getting ready to enjoy a post game meal with his family.

Don't kids learn proper hygiene any more? Back when I was his age, after our games, and practices, all of us would shower, and put on our street clothes. I would never even consider wearing my smelly uniform, or dirty practice stuff, outside the gym, especially to a public place like a restaurant.

I hope that the family sitting next to them at the restaurant brought some Lysol, or Febreze, with them.

Now I feel better. Would someone please help me down from this soapbox before I fall and get hurt? After this I'm going to yell at some kids to get off of my front lawn.
I was teased in HS in the 80s didnt enjoy showering. At some point I know they stopped using the showers in HS. I am betting it was from sexually charged inappropriate behavior. We live in a sexually charged country and I can imagine the youth and what started happening in showers between the 80s and now wasnt good. When they stopped showering it became the norm since everyone has kids I am sure folks got used to it in public. Year round allergies prevent me from smelling much. I wonder if I am immune. I bet if you talk to a teenager today and get to the truth thats the real reason they dont shower any more.
Old Wed Apr 11, 2018, 04:39pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Get Off My Lawn ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
When they stopped showering it became the norm ...
I understand that culture evolves, and that showering in school after physical education class, or after a practice, or a game, is no longer part of the culture of a school. I still don't think that this is good hygiene, but I get it.

What I don't get is how a parent can bring a sweaty kid, with a dirty, smelly uniform, into a sit down restaurant. A McDonald's drive through? Sure. If I'm dropping a bundle for a steak at Ruth's Chris Steak House, I don't want some smelly kid, in a sweaty uniform, sitting at the next table.

Go home, shower, put on some clean clothes, and then go out for a family dinner.

Why can't they be like we were, perfect in every way?
What's the matter with kids today?

(Bye Bye Birdie)

Damn neighbor kids are back on my front lawn again. I'll get them good this time, I'll turn the hose on them.

Old Thu Apr 12, 2018, 07:56am
Official Forum Member

When I started officiating varsity hoops 7 or 8 years ago and decided showering after every single/double header was something I wanted to do, I was surprised to find out how many locker room shower areas/stalls have been converted to storage areas for the athletic departments outdated equipment, and misc items.

I've got to believe it's because of years of no use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
I was teased in HS in the 80s didnt enjoy showering. At some point I know they stopped using the showers in HS. I am betting it was from sexually charged inappropriate behavior. We live in a sexually charged country and I can imagine the youth and what started happening in showers between the 80s and now wasnt good. When they stopped showering it became the norm since everyone has kids I am sure folks got used to it in public. Year round allergies prevent me from smelling much. I wonder if I am immune. I bet if you talk to a teenager today and get to the truth thats the real reason they dont shower any more.
Old Thu Apr 12, 2018, 09:16am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by #olderthanilook View Post
... I was surprised to find out how many locker room shower areas/stalls have been converted to storage areas for the athletic departments outdated equipment, and misc items.

The number 1 reason I hate dress codes for HS games. We get inadequate changing facilities that often lack showers.
Old Thu Apr 12, 2018, 09:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
The number 1 reason I hate dress codes for HS games. We get inadequate changing facilities that often lack showers.
Seriously, I've showed up to playoff games and the game manager says "Okay you can change in this bathroom we will try to keep the people coming in to a minimum...."

Are you kidding me?
Old Thu Apr 12, 2018, 03:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
Is showing up already dressed frowned upon in your area? I don't do it, but a lot of folks in my association do, especially for JV games that tip earlier.