The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old Fri Oct 10, 2003, 08:07am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Katy, TX
Posts: 275
The situation:
A is down by 3 points and has the ball with time running out. A1 takes a running 3 point shot. B1 attempts to setup defensively but doesn't get into a legal guarding position.

a) Shot is released, horn sounds, then as an airborne shooter A crashes into B before returning to floor. Shot goes in or misses.

b) Shot begins but is not released, horn sounds, ball is released, then A crashes into B as an airborne shooter. Shot is good or misses.

I looked up the definitions and have some theories, but would like your interpretations. BYW I am using NFHS rules.
__________________
Damain
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old Fri Oct 10, 2003, 08:40am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Western Mass.
Posts: 9,104
Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Ok, you say that the defense doesn't get set in time, so I'm assuming that if there's any foul call to be made, it's against the defender. If the foul is on the shooter, in either situation, then it's a player control foul; the ball is dead immediately, no points can be scored on the try, and the game is over.

Quote:
Originally posted by Damian
a) Shot is released, horn sounds, then as an airborne shooter A crashes into B before returning to floor. Shot goes in or misses.
This is a foul against the defender while A1 is in the act of shooting. So if the shot goes in, score it and shoot one FT with nobody on the lane. If the FT is good, game over. If it misses, we have OT.

If the 3-point shot misses, then shoot 3 FTs with nobody on the lane. If all 3 FTs are made, we have OT. As soon as A1 misses one of the FTs, the game is over.

Quote:
b) Shot begins but is not released, horn sounds, ball is released, then A crashes into B as an airborne shooter. Shot is good or misses.
You say "shot begins", so we have A1 in the act of shooting. But since the ball has not been released on the try, the horn causes the ball to become dead. Therefore, the contact by B1 is ignored, and the game is over. See Exception 3 included in Rule 6-7.
__________________
Any NCAA rules and interpretations in this post are relevant for men's games only!
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old Fri Oct 10, 2003, 08:41am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 9,466
Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Damian
The situation:
A is down by 3 points and has the ball with time running out. A1 takes a running 3 point shot. B1 attempts to setup defensively but doesn't get into a legal guarding position.

a) Shot is released, horn sounds, then as an airborne shooter A crashes into B before returning to floor. Shot goes in or misses.

b) Shot begins but is not released, horn sounds, ball is released, then A crashes into B as an airborne shooter. Shot is good or misses.

I looked up the definitions and have some theories, but would like your interpretations. BYW I am using NFHS rules.
a) shot counts if good, foul counts, up to three shots, or one shot. If no overtime, you and your partner get the heck out of Dodge City.

b) ball dead at horn, game over. You and your partner get the heck out of Dodge City.

[Edited by rainmaker on Oct 10th, 2003 at 09:25 AM]
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old Fri Oct 10, 2003, 09:24am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Katy, TX
Posts: 275
So on b) the airborne shooter doesn't apply?

The horn sounds before the ball is released, so no shot can count. Does the airborne shooter lose his rights at the horn? He is fouled before he comes down on the shot. But the game is over.
__________________
Damain
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old Fri Oct 10, 2003, 09:29am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 9,466
Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Re: So on b) the airborne shooter doesn't apply?

Quote:
Originally posted by Damian
The horn sounds before the ball is released, so no shot can count. Does the airborne shooter lose his rights at the horn? He is fouled before he comes down on the shot. But the game is over.
If the ball is not released when the horn sounds, the ball becomes dead at the horn, the foul doesn't count and the game is over. If the ball IS released when the horn sounds, the ball remains live until the shot is made, or will clearly not make it. If you can't tell whether the horn or the release came first, you've got to call it one way or the other, and then go with it. And when the game IS over, you and your partner get the heck out of Dodge City.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old Fri Oct 10, 2003, 09:40am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 9,466
Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Does anyone know why Jurassic Referee's replies in this thread keep appearing, and then disappearing? Has he moved into the twilight zone?
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old Fri Oct 10, 2003, 09:50am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 188
so, once the horn goes, if the ball is still in the shooter's hand, the ball is dead and no foul can be called? Even if the shooter clearly got fouled before releasing the ball?? (I know this is not quite the sitch described above) I must be having a brain cramp on this one.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old Fri Oct 10, 2003, 09:57am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Posts: 2,217
Of course, you left out the third situation. A1 airborne, contact with B1, horn sounds, and ball released. Now the cpontact is called because it came before the horn, even though shot came after the horn.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old Fri Oct 10, 2003, 09:59am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 9,466
Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by mdray
so, once the horn goes, if the ball is still in the shooter's hand, the ball is dead and no foul can be called? Even if the shooter clearly got fouled before releasing the ball?? (I know this is not quite the sitch described above) I must be having a brain cramp on this one.
See Rule 6-7-Exception-3:" The ball does not become dead until the try or tap ends when...a foul is committed by an opponent of a player who has started a try or tap for goal before the foul occurred, provided time did not expire before the ball was in flight... "

In other words, the ball is dead when the horn sounds, and a foul committed during a dead ball is ignored (unless it is flagrant or technical).
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old Fri Oct 10, 2003, 10:00am
In Memoriam
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Hell
Posts: 20,213
Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Does anyone know why Jurassic Referee's replies in this thread keep appearing, and then disappearing? Has he moved into the twilight zone?
If you're doing a great job answering the questions,there's no reason for me say basically the same thing,is there?

Keep up the fair work. You've got a great future behind you!

Didn't attach a smiley.Wonder how many people thought I was serious on the last one?
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old Fri Oct 10, 2003, 10:05am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 9,466
Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
If you're doing a great job answering the questions,there's no reason for me say basically the same thing,is there?
It doesn't stop anyone else, when YOU"RE doing a great job. I think it's called "reverb".
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old Fri Oct 10, 2003, 10:32am
In Memoriam
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Hell
Posts: 20,213
Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
[/B]
See Rule 6-7-Exception-3:" The ball does not become dead until the try or tap ends when...a foul is committed by an opponent of a player who has started a try or tap for goal before the foul occurred, provided time did not expire before the ball was in flight... "

In other words, the ball is dead when the horn sounds, and a foul committed during a dead ball is ignored (unless it is flagrant or technical). [/B][/QUOTE]Rule 4-19-1NOTE. You left out "or by or on an airborne shooter",if I remember right,which certainly could be pertinent also.

Comments,anyone?
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old Fri Oct 10, 2003, 10:34am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Beaver, PA
Posts: 481
Hawks Coach brings up a good point

I had that situation about 3 years ago. Girl driving for the basket, foul called, horn blows, ball released, ball goes in. Since the ball was released after the horn, the basket was waived off. The girl was sent to the line with no one on the lane for two shots. Didn't get any argument from coaches. Hope I made the right call.
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old Fri Oct 10, 2003, 11:17am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 9,466
Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
See Rule 6-7-Exception-3:" The ball does not become dead until the try or tap ends when...a foul is committed by an opponent of a player who has started a try or tap for goal before the foul occurred, provided time did not expire before the ball was in flight... "

In other words, the ball is dead when the horn sounds, and a foul committed during a dead ball is ignored (unless it is flagrant or technical). [/B]
Rule 4-19-1NOTE. You left out "or by or on an airborne shooter",if I remember right,which certainly could be pertinent also.

Comments,anyone? [/B][/QUOTE]

I don't think he's an airborne shooter, if the ball is dead before he leaves the ground. 4-1-1 says, "An airborne shooter is a player who has released the ball on a try for a goal or has tapped the ball and has not returned to the floor." If the ball is dead before he leaves the ground, he's not "try"-ing anymore, is he?
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old Fri Oct 10, 2003, 11:43am
In Memoriam
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Hell
Posts: 20,213
Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
See Rule 6-7-Exception-3:" The ball does not become dead until the try or tap ends when...a foul is committed by an opponent of a player who has started a try or tap for goal before the foul occurred, provided time did not expire before the ball was in flight... "

In other words, the ball is dead when the horn sounds, and a foul committed during a dead ball is ignored (unless it is flagrant or technical).
Rule 4-19-1NOTE. You left out "or by or on an airborne shooter",if I remember right,which certainly could be pertinent also.

Comments,anyone? [/B]
I don't think he's an airborne shooter, if the ball is dead before he leaves the ground. 4-1-1 says, "An airborne shooter is a player who has released the ball on a try for a goal or has tapped the ball and has not returned to the floor." If the ball is dead before he leaves the ground, he's not "try"-ing anymore, is he?
[/B][/QUOTE]From Damian's initial post that started this thread:

(b)"...then A crashes into B as an airborne shooter"

The complete wording of R4-19-1NOTE that Chuck is referring to in his answer is "Contact after the ball has become dead is ignored unless it is ruled intentional or flagrant or is committed by or on an airborne shooter".

[Edited by Jurassic Referee on Oct 10th, 2003 at 12:37 PM]
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:11pm.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1