The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Mar 17, 2018, 05:00am
Official Forum Member

Three officials who aren't advancing

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/refs-bo...222356055.html

I understand that many officials are not "rules guys," but how can there not be at least one person on an NCAAW tournament game who knows this basic rule--the definition of a goal?
Old Sat Mar 17, 2018, 05:40am
Official Forum Member

Had a high level AAU game once where this happened. For some reason I got this crossed up with the rare occurrence where the ball seems to be all the way through but then inexplicably somehow rattles back up and out.

But I wasn’t sure. My partner was counting it, so I halt play for a quick conference. Right when we got to each other, the “remains in or passes through” verbiage entered my head. The conference took two seconds. I realized my first instinct was incorrect, and we counted the goal and moved on.

That was two of us in an AAU game. But three in an NCAA tournament game? Yeah, no excuse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Sat Mar 17, 2018, 11:35am
Official Forum Member

I'm amazed it got stuck....for the apparent first time. The women's ball is smaller than men's. Was the net installed during the dead ball that preceded this play? Or was it fine for all warm-ups and the game played up until that point? Better check one of the players for stick-um or a foreign substance, lol. Amazing that it got stuck. On a side note, what is the status of the ball? Live? Dead? Ref blew whistle during shot. What if there was a foul, say a Tech, while the ball was stuck? Is that a dead ball T or a live ball T?

Last edited by bucky; Sat Mar 17, 2018 at 03:29pm.
Old Sat Mar 17, 2018, 01:41pm
Official Forum Member

I'm totally flabbergasted about this. Even more so than the West Virginia .3 'buzzer beater'. But at the same time I assume all the refs for both games were experienced officials and thought it would not have happened to them in making glaring mistakes. Maybe it is somehow a psychology thing as I would assume they knew the rules before, at least most of them should have. Weird how these things happen and I guess you can't really say it won't happen to you.
Old Sat Mar 17, 2018, 03:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky View Post
I'm amazed it got stuck....for the apparent first time. The women's ball is smaller than men's. Was the net installed during the dead ball that preceded this play? Or was it fine for all warm-ups and the game played up until that point? Better check one of the players for stick-um or a foreign substance, lol. Amazing that it got stuck. On a side note, what is the status of the ball? Live? Dead? Ref blew whistle during shot. What if there was a foul, say a Tech, while the ball was stuck? Is that a dead ball T or a live ball T?
1. The whistle was for a foul by a defender against the shooter.
2. What is the status of the ball after any made goal?
Save
Old Sat Mar 17, 2018, 04:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
1. The whistle was for a foul by a defender against the shooter.
2. What is the status of the ball after any made goal?
Save
1. Yea, I know, as indicated.

2. When was the goal made?
Old Sat Mar 17, 2018, 04:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Is that a dead ball T or a live ball T?
Does it make a difference?

Quote:
1. Yea, I know, as indicated.

2. When was the goal made?
When the conditions were met.

(Similar to a violation happening "at the same time" as a foul, the officials must decide which happened first.)
Old Sat Mar 17, 2018, 05:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Does it make a difference?

When the conditions were met.

(Similar to a violation happening "at the same time" as a foul, the officials must decide which happened first.)
Yes, it does. When were the conditions met?

With all due respect Bob, don't be like that. Don't be like so many others that do not provide actual answers.

side note: I wonder how officials would have reacted if there was no whistle for the foul. I also wonder what the clock operator would have done if there was less than a minute in the game and there was no whistle. (presuming, like NCAAM, clock stops under a min for NCCAW)
Old Sat Mar 17, 2018, 06:55pm
Official Forum Member

Another 3 Who Should Not Move On

Doug Shows, Kelly Self, and Dwayne Gladden was the crew.
March Madness 2018: Auburn put wrong player on free-throw line to seal win vs. Charleston | NCAA Basketball | Sporting News

Quote:
Had any of the officials been aware of this, or had anyone alerted the officiating crew to the fact that the wrong player was at the foul line, the officials would have been able to review the play and determine [Okeke] should have been the shooter,” NCAA coordinator of officiating J.D. Collins said in a statement.
Old Sat Mar 17, 2018, 07:15pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Yes, it does. When were the conditions met?

With all due respect Bob, don't be like that. Don't be like so many others that do not provide actual answers.

side note: I wonder how officials would have reacted if there was no whistle for the foul. I also wonder what the clock operator would have done if there was less than a minute in the game and there was no whistle. (presuming, like NCAAM, clock stops under a min for NCCAW)
If there was a technical foul called why would it matter if the ball was dead or live?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old Sat Mar 17, 2018, 09:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Y
I gave an actual answer -- and, the correct one.

And, it should be "who." Another actual answer.
Old Sun Mar 18, 2018, 12:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
I gave an actual answer -- and, the correct one.

And, it should be "who." Another actual answer.
Thanks for the grammar correction. I do appreciate that although when you indicated "Does it make a difference?", I consider that to be a question, not an answer. Perhaps you were thinking that your question was providing an answer but if we are sticking to strict grammar rules.. suddenly, then it did not. Furthermore, "When the conditions were met" is not even a complete sentence and does not answer the question but rather repeats it in a different form.

Coach: Why was my player given a technical foul?
You: The conditions were met

I am not confident that you would answer that way.

The bigger picture is exactly what you described by saying "When the conditions are met." Give rule book citations that apply to when the ball is stuck in the net as to its status and those conditions please.

Last edited by bucky; Sun Mar 18, 2018 at 12:22am.
Old Sun Mar 18, 2018, 08:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Thanks for the grammar correction. I do appreciate that although when you indicated "Does it make a difference?", I consider that to be a question, not an answer. Perhaps you were thinking that your question was providing an answer but if we are sticking to strict grammar rules.. suddenly, then it did not. Furthermore, "When the conditions were met" is not even a complete sentence and does not answer the question but rather repeats it in a different form.

Coach: Why was my player given a technical foul?
You: The conditions were met

I am not confident that you would answer that way.

The bigger picture is exactly what you described by saying "When the conditions are met." Give rule book citations that apply to when the ball is stuck in the net as to its status and those conditions please.
okay --

Yes, it would have been a dead ball T or a live ball T. I am still not sure it makes a difference to any subsequent administration -- that's why I asked a serious question.

And, the parenthetical part of my initial response is (or implies to any intelligent reader) the answer to your second question -- the ball becomes dead when the official decides the ball is stuck in the net.
Old Sun Mar 18, 2018, 08:21am
Official Forum Member

Bucky, I think bob is trying to teach you to fish.
Old Sun Mar 18, 2018, 08:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRZ View Post
Bucky, I think bob is trying to teach you to fish.

You can lead a horse to water...........