The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 21, 2018, 03:37pm
Official Forum Member

Moving to RI

Story of my life. My Naval service is moving me yet again, this time to RI this coming summer. I'll be a student at the Naval War College. Professionally, this is awesome and I'm looking forward to it. Officiatingly, not so much. I'll miss Wisconsin greatly (except for maybe the tiny pay checks, but the basketball is still quite good and mostly makes up for that).

I have officiated in RI once before, eight seasons ago. I recall shot clocks, two-person crews at all levels in the regular season, and zero varsity games because the IAABO Board (I think it was 84) had no mechanism to accept move-in officials at that level. Assigning was highly controlled at the statewide level if I recall. For sub-varsity it was the exact opposite: 100 little assigning fiefdoms and everything was done by telephone calls and handwriting.

So....anyone out there in the Ocean State who can attest to what has changed in the last eight years? Does an 11th year official have a prayer of working any varsity games next year or should I just throw in the towel?

I've also considered looking into registering in MA and CT as well, though since CT is still the "Home of the Two-Person Game" as BillyMac likes to point out, I can't see myself getting too excited about CT basketball.

This will only be for a year....then if I'm lucky on to the DC area where I believe opportunities (on both the VA and MD side) are at least a little better and I know those are definitely 3-person places.
Old Wed Feb 21, 2018, 05:02pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
Story of my life. My Naval service is moving me yet again, this time to RI this coming summer. I'll be a student at the Naval War College. Professionally, this is awesome and I'm looking forward to it. Officiatingly, not so much. I'll miss Wisconsin greatly (except for maybe the tiny pay checks, but the basketball is still quite good and mostly makes up for that).

I have officiated in RI once before, eight seasons ago. I recall shot clocks, two-person crews at all levels in the regular season, and zero varsity games because the IAABO Board (I think it was 84) had no mechanism to accept move-in officials at that level. Assigning was highly controlled at the statewide level if I recall. For sub-varsity it was the exact opposite: 100 little assigning fiefdoms and everything was done by telephone calls and handwriting.

So....anyone out there in the Ocean State who can attest to what has changed in the last eight years? Does an 11th year official have a prayer of working any varsity games next year or should I just throw in the towel?

I've also considered looking into registering in MA and CT as well, though since CT is still the "Home of the Two-Person Game" as BillyMac likes to point out, I can't see myself getting too excited about CT basketball.

This will only be for a year....then if I'm lucky on to the DC area where I believe opportunities (on both the VA and MD side) are at least a little better and I know those are definitely 3-person places.
I don't know if references help, but...
Old Wed Feb 21, 2018, 05:26pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Geographic Boundaries Of Each Local Board Enforced ...

Quote:
I've also considered looking into registering in MA and CT ...
I believe that the IAABO Connecticut State Board has become very intolerant of members residing outside the geographic boundary of each local board (usually separated by county lines). I know for sure that my local board no longer accepts "dual members" (residing in one local board while officiating in another local board). If you move your residence, or/or transfer your job, you must officiate in the local area (county) where you are a resident. No exceptions. We have some veterans grandfathered in, but it's a big fat no for new members.

Good news though. Mention my name, BillyMac, at any Connecticut Starbucks and they'll give you a tall freshly brewed coffee for $2.29. Just mention my name, guaranteed to work, anywhere in Connecticut, it's a small state, and everybody knows me.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Wed Feb 21, 2018, 05:34pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
I believe that the IAABO Connecticut State Board has become very intolerant of members residing outside the geographic boundary of each local board (usually separated by county lines). I know for sure that my local board no longer accepts "dual members" (residing in one local board while officiating in another local board). If you move your residence, or/or transfer your job, you must officiate in the local area (county) where you are a resident. No exceptions. We have some veterans grandfathered in, but it's a big fat no for new members.

Good news though. Mention my name, BillyMac, at any Connecticut Starbucks and they'll give you a tall freshly brewed coffee for $2.29. Just mention my name, guaranteed to work, anywhere in Connecticut, it's a small state, and everybody knows me.

How is such restraint of trade consistent with officials being independent contractors?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old Wed Feb 21, 2018, 05:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
How is such restraint of trade consistent with officials being independent contractors?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
That was what I was thinking.

I suppose they could say you couldn't be a member of two of their boards but I don't think they could require which one you could choose.
Old Wed Feb 21, 2018, 05:51pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Don't Poke The Bear ...

Quote:
Nobody is willing to poke the bear.

We've had a few border skirmishes over schools, but not over members.

We did recently have one of our local boards separate into two local boards. It was a large, very rural area, members believed that, in terms of mileage, the original geographic area was too large.

Connecticut has been 100% IAABO for about ten years. If you want to officiate high school basketball in Connecticut, you have to belong to IAABO.

Unless of course, you want to start your own independent officiating group. Nobody's stopping anybody from doing that. Knock yourself out.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Wed Feb 21, 2018, 05:54pm
Esteemed Forum Member

It's Greek To Me ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
I suppose they could say you couldn't be a member of two of their boards but I don't think they could require which one you could choose.
Maybe that's it? I'm not up on all the new restrictions because I both live in, and work in, the local board that I officiate in. With no plans to change my residence, and no plans to switch to another local board.

Old Wed Feb 21, 2018, 06:06pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Transfers ...

Quote:
... and zero varsity games because the IAABO Board had no mechanism to accept move-in officials at that level.
Under the guidance of IAABO International, local IAABO boards are advised to try to assign transfer members (only IAABO transfers, not from other organizations) an assignment schedule similar to the one they had the previous season with their previous board. That's not necessarily the way it was always done in the past.

Also, on my local board, we have switched from peer ratings, and years of service, to "move up", to a system relying on an observation team. If you're a good official, you'll get a good schedule almost right away, even if you're transferring from a non-IAABO board, but that's just my local board, and it's a new system, can't say the same for other local boards.

Old Thu Feb 22, 2018, 07:04am
Esteemed Forum Member

You Can Look It Up, I Did ...

Quote:
I know for sure that my local board no longer accepts "dual members" (residing in one local board while officiating in another local board). If you move your residence, or/or transfer your job, you must officiate in the local area (county) where you are a resident. No exceptions. We have some veterans grandfathered in, but it's a big fat no for new members.
Quote:
Quote:
Maybe that's it? I'm not up on all the new restrictions because I both live in, and work in, the local board that I officiate in. With no plans to change my residence, and no plans to switch to another local board.
I looked it up. The policy below may only be for our local board. I don't know if other local boards in Connecticut have similar policies.

For assignment purposes, (the local board) will not grant Dual Member status for any new person who lives outside of (the local board) geographical territory.

Notes: "Dual Member" is an IAABO term for those residing in one local board while officiating in another local board. The term "new" in the policy means that local board veterans with Dual Member status have been grandfathered in and may continue to be Dual Members.

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Feb 22, 2018 at 07:07am.
Old Thu Feb 22, 2018, 07:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
We did recently have one of our local boards separate into two local boards. It was a large, very rural area, members believed that, in terms of mileage, the original geographic area was too large.

Uhhh....that's not even in the top 5 of reasons why they split.

Regardless, the Feds are going to have a field day with the concept on "independent contractor" status around here if it ever gets challenged.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old Thu Feb 22, 2018, 07:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Nobody is willing to poke the bear.

We've had a few border skirmishes over schools, but not over members.

Connecticut has been 100% IAABO for about ten years. If you want to officiate high school basketball in Connecticut, you have to belong to IAABO.

Unless of course, you want to start your own independent officiating group. Nobody's stopping anybody from doing that. Knock yourself out.
That's the fast track to being considered an employee if anyone challenges it. Or if the IRS just gets bored one day.
Old Thu Feb 22, 2018, 08:40am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
I looked it up. The policy below may only be for our local board. I don't know if other local boards in Connecticut have similar policies.

For assignment purposes, (the local board) will not grant Dual Member status for any new person who lives outside of (the local board) geographical territory.

Notes: "Dual Member" is an IAABO term for those residing in one local board while officiating in another local board. The term "new" in the policy means that local board veterans with Dual Member status have been grandfathered in and may continue to be Dual Members.
"Dual Members" means someone is a member of 2 organization. What if I live in one jurisdiction and work in another and it's more convenient and financially prudent to belong to the organization where my job is located? IAABO can mandate that I can only work for the board where my residence is?
Old Thu Feb 22, 2018, 04:58pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Dirty Laundry (Don Henley., 1982) ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RefCT View Post
... that's not even in the top 5 of reasons why they split.
I know that, I just didn't want to expose our dirty laundry to the entire internet.

(Plus, I've only heard reasons for the split from a few guys from that region (who really didn't want to talk much about it with an outsider), certainly not a true multisided indicator of why it happened.)

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Feb 22, 2018 at 06:05pm.
Old Thu Feb 22, 2018, 05:01pm
Esteemed Forum Member

All Politics Is Local ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
"Dual Members" means someone is a member of 2 organization. What if I live in one jurisdiction and work in another and it's more convenient and financially prudent to belong to the organization where my job is located? IAABO can mandate that I can only work for the board where my residence is?
I doubt that IAABO International can do that, but my local board has certainly done that.

Old Thu Feb 22, 2018, 05:41pm
Get away from me, Steve.

I've never been fond of areas where a single assigner could see to it that I couldn't work games.

When I lived in TN, my baseball assigner coached middle school hoops. For an official, he was a complete ass as a coach. I ejected him.

On the way off the floor, he threatened my baseball assignments.

I contacted the state office the next day. I contacted the association officers, as well. Not sure what kind of conversation there was, but I had a great schedule that next spring....and then moved out of state.

I'm thankful I can work with as many assigners as I want here.