The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 20, 2018, 06:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJP View Post
I don't understand the problem you seem to have. I think they were qualified to work this game together since, you know, they work up to 7 games a week (including varsity) games already.
You're making an assumption not supportable by the statement. Working a game or games doesn't imply ability or that someone else was or was not more qualified. I've worked with several people on some level of game that were not really qualified for that game.

I'm all for making sure deserving but underrepresented demographics get adequate or even extra opportunities, but nothing in your statement relates to that.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Tue Feb 20, 2018 at 06:06pm.
Old Tue Feb 20, 2018, 06:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapins Fan View Post
When I became board secretary 4 years ago, There were no female officials work in varsity games. My goal was to push our female officials to that level and now I pushed for them to be an all female crew.

I couldn't be more proud of where they are I know the future is very bright for all 3 of them. And I hope to bring in more female officials into the association.

Historic night came as easy as 1-2-3 | Local Sports | times-news.com
Terrapins Fan, good work. I am sorry if I took away from your post and contributed to a distraction. Good luck bringing in more female officials. We need more new faces.
Old Wed Feb 21, 2018, 12:34am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Do I have to comment on everything? He's ultimately right. Hiring based on race, gender, etc. is simply wrong in any way, shape or form.
Who was hired based on race, gender, Etc in this story?

Three women were purposely put together on a crew and it was highlighted because it it never happened before. It shouldn't be 2018 and we're just now having places with all female crews. That's the real problem.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old Wed Feb 21, 2018, 02:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
Who was hired based on race, gender, Etc in this story?

Three women were purposely put together on a crew and it was highlighted because it it never happened before. It shouldn't be 2018 and we're just now having places with all female crews. That's the real problem.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Never said anyone was. I was asked what I thought about the idea.
Old Wed Feb 21, 2018, 09:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post

Frankly, I'm the exact same way about all characteristics. Short, tall, thin, heavy, doesn't matter to me, as long as people can do the job.
If only college assignors felt the same way...
Old Wed Feb 21, 2018, 09:11am
Official Forum Member

I am a female ref and started working BV games. I am fully aware of the looks and side remarks from both officials, coaches, and fans. There's nothing I can do about that except continuing to work hard on my mechanics, positioning, and digging in to the rules/case book. And there's only one person I need to worry about: my assignor.

Last edited by gogumakilla; Wed Feb 21, 2018 at 09:17am.
Old Wed Feb 21, 2018, 09:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriggerMN View Post
The difference is that numbers are normally not a problem for college assigners. They have lots of candidates that want to be on their staffs, so those characteristics help them narrow it down. High school assigners don't always have that luxury (whether Rich does or not, I don't know).

Someone a couple posts ago said something about shaving. In South Carolina it is written that we are required to have no facial hair except a mustache. And in most high school areas it's an unwritten rule that few if any officials can be good enough to overcome.
Old Wed Feb 21, 2018, 09:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogumakilla View Post
I am a female ref and started working BV games. I am fully aware of the looks and side remarks from both officials, coaches, and fans. There's nothing I can do about that except continuing to work hard on my mechanics, positioning, and digging in to the rules/case book. And there's only one person I need to worry about: my assignor.
Wish there was a like button!

My son is a varsity player. In his HS games and HS age club games he has had relatively few women referees over the past few years. Rare enough that I always notice at the start of the game. But if anything they have been on average better than their contemporaries. Perhaps they still have to be to get games. And I frankly think it is good for the boys to have women referees as well as men. (I'm not suggesting that women should jump the line or be promoted before they are ready, but I do think it makes sense to actively look for women candidates to be in the pool so that those women candidates can earn their way up to a varsity schedule that includes boys' games.)
Old Wed Feb 21, 2018, 10:02am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriggerMN View Post
I'm not a college assigner, although if I was a small college assigner I wouldn't pretend I was a D1 assigner, like so many of them seem to do today.

We're working high school basketball. My #1 concern is that the calls are correct and that officials know how to act in a school environment.

I don't care at all if "he runs funny" or "could stand to lose weight" or whatever else would be written on a college camp evaluation to eliminate people. Does the official get in position and does the official make correct calls at an acceptable level. Does the official know how to talk to coaches and therefore I don't get 5 phone calls a season about an official's demeanor/attitude/etc.

There are crews that have been to a few state tournaments that I simply will not use for a variety of reasons. Some are too demanding (I'll only work boys on Fridays) and some I don't really think are as good as they think they are based on their post-season assignments. I don't have the same agenda as the person who assigns that.

Others I've caught dumping my small school games for closer/"better" assignments. In other words, lack of integrity.

Four years of this has opened my eyes, believe me.
Old Wed Feb 21, 2018, 02:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
There are crews that have been to a few state tournaments that I simply will not use for a variety of reasons. Some are too demanding (I'll only work boys on Fridays) and some I don't really think are as good as they think they are based on their post-season assignments. I don't have the same agenda as the person who assigns that.
Here it is certainly possible to believe you are better than you are based on post-season assignments. For the coordinator (at least the current/outgoing one), assigning is much more a function of supply, location, and convenience than it is about ability. I know Rich knows this, but since this is an "everybody gets in" state, there are plenty of post-season games with which to inflate officials' egos.

Quote:
Others I've caught dumping my small school games for closer/"better" assignments. In other words, lack of integrity.
They don't know what they're missing. Some of your small school games are absolutely fantastic and a lot better then some of the urban mismatches I see here in the metro area. Granted, you have your share of putrid duds, too.
Old Wed Feb 21, 2018, 03:15pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
They don't know what they're missing. Some of your small school games are absolutely fantastic and a lot better then some of the urban mismatches I see here in the metro area. Granted, you have your share of putrid duds, too.
It's a function of "all games need to be covered."

In general, I prefer hiring those that want to be there, though, even more than someone with more talent that would rather be elsewhere.

With my season-ending knee injury, I don't need to worry about anything but assigning right now. And I have one night of games left to worry about.
Old Wed Feb 21, 2018, 04:01pm
Esteemed Forum Member

John Deere Hats ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
They don't know what they're missing. Some of your small school games are absolutely fantastic ...
I had one of these as a fill in a few weeks ago. Very small, rural school, fifty-five mile one way trip for me. Pickup trucks in the parking lot, and fans wearing John Deere hats, that they dutifully took off during the National Anthem. Varsity home team had only freshmen and sophomores, and a terrible record. But in this small rural town, there's nothing else to do on a Friday night, so everybody goes to the game, small gymnasium but it's packed. There was even a pep band. Lopsided game, but a great atmosphere. I wouldn't mind making this trip (my most distant school) once, or twice, a year.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Feb 21, 2018 at 07:29pm.
Old Wed Feb 21, 2018, 05:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
It's a function of "all games need to be covered."

In general, I prefer hiring those that want to be there, though, even more than someone with more talent that would rather be elsewhere.
Yep. I'd much rather have someone on a game that wanted to be there over a "better" official that wanted out. The latter will often just mail it in and it will hurt the game.

Quote:
With my season-ending knee injury, I don't need to worry about anything but assigning right now. And I have one night of games left to worry about.
Ouch....sorry to hear about that. Hope you're back to full abilities soon.
Old Thu Feb 22, 2018, 01:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Very small, rural school, fifty-five mile one way trip for me. Pickup trucks in the parking lot, and fans wearing John Deere hats, that they dutifully took off during the National Anthem. Varsity home team had only freshmen and sophomores, and a terrible record. But in this small rural town, there's nothing else to do on a Friday night, so everybody goes to the game, small gymnasium but it's packed. There was even a pep band. Lopsided game, but a great atmosphere. I wouldn't mind making this trip (my most distant school) once, or twice, a year.
Give Pennsylvania a try. Some of us have entire regular seasons like this!
Old Thu Feb 22, 2018, 03:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
...and fans wearing John Deere hats, that they dutifully took off during the National Anthem.

Anyone take a knee??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk