The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 16, 2018, 10:52am
Official Forum Member

Dunk after the game ends...

I'm sure there is a situation out there on the forum that has a similar play...if you know include the thread please.

Game ends. Score is 58-56. Before my partner and I can run for the door, tall player on winning team grabs ball and dunks it (game was clearly over and he dunked it in the opponent's basket). To add to it he hung on the rim with no one around to warrant a "safety issue". What would you do? And how do you administer it correctly?

I know there was a similar situation in a state championship a few years back, but that was during play.

Ohio team loses H.S. state title after late hanging-on-the-rim technical foul - SportsNation - ESPN
Old Fri Feb 16, 2018, 11:23am
Courageous When Prudent

Unless my exit door is directly behind and within 5 feet of said basket, I won't see it.
Old Fri Feb 16, 2018, 11:24am
Official Forum Member

Unless this rises to the level of a "taunting T", I'm leaving it alone -- the game is over.
Old Fri Feb 16, 2018, 11:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Kent View Post
I'm sure there is a situation out there on the forum that has a similar play...if you know include the thread please.

Game ends. Score is 58-56. Before my partner and I can run for the door, tall player on winning team grabs ball and dunks it (game was clearly over and he dunked it in the opponent's basket). To add to it he hung on the rim with no one around to warrant a "safety issue". What would you do? And how do you administer it correctly?

I know there was a similar situation in a state championship a few years back, but that was during play.

Ohio team loses H.S. state title after late hanging-on-the-rim technical foul - SportsNation - ESPN
I'm doing everything I can to NOT see this occur. But for argument's sake, if you must call it, you would issue the technical foul.

The losing team would shoot two free throws. If they are both successful you would go to overtime.
Old Fri Feb 16, 2018, 11:35am
Official Forum Member

Ok...so they make both free throws. Do you start overtime with a jump ball or possession at mid court?

Also because it was a dead ball would it be an indirect to the coach because it is bench personal or is it a direct to the kid that dunked?
Old Fri Feb 16, 2018, 11:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Ok...so they make both free throws. Do you start overtime with a jump ball or possession at mid court?
Can any part of a penalty carry over? What do the case plays on other "ts after the game should have ended" say?

Quote:
Also because it was a dead ball would it be an indirect to the coach because it is bench personal or is it a direct to the kid that dunked?
Those aren't mutually exclusive. (that's a hint)
Old Fri Feb 16, 2018, 11:51am
Official Forum Member

I already looked through the casebook....which is why I reached out on the forum.

I would assume you start the overtime with a jump ball because the tech has to be assessed in the 4th quarter in order to have overtime occur.

So you are saying both a tech to the kid and an indirect to the head coach? A dunk in warm-ups isn't a direct to the player correct? Why is this situation different?
Old Fri Feb 16, 2018, 11:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
A dunk in warm-ups isn't a direct to the player correct?
Are you sure about that?
Old Fri Feb 16, 2018, 11:59am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
I already looked through the casebook....which is why I reached out on the forum.

I would assume you start the overtime with a jump ball because the tech has to be assessed in the 4th quarter in order to have overtime occur.

So you are saying both a tech to the kid and an indirect to the head coach? A dunk in warm-ups isn't a direct to the player correct? Why is this situation different?
You cannot have an indirect to the HC without some sort of direct tech to the bench or bench personnel.
Old Fri Feb 16, 2018, 12:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
5.6.2C, for one

Quote:
10.5.1E
Old Fri Feb 16, 2018, 12:08pm
Administrator

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
Unless my exit door is directly behind and within 5 feet of said basket, I won't see it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Unless this rises to the level of a "taunting T", I'm leaving it alone -- the game is over.

The situation in the OhioHSAA State Championship Game (Div. II) a few years ago happened with four seconds left in the Fourth Quarter. I have seen the video of the situation and it was the correct call. There was no question that a TF should have been called.

That said, I agree with BNR and Bob: Get the hell out of Dodge!

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Fri Feb 16, 2018, 12:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Note that nearly every T is direct to someone...the person who committed the infraction.

The only T's not "direct" to someone are those that are not necessarily pinned on a single individual, T's that are only "Team" technical. Book T's could be because of anyone. DOG T's could be because of 2 (or more) players. If the T is earned by a single individual without regard to any other prior action, it is direct.
Old Fri Feb 16, 2018, 12:24pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=bob jenkins;1017285]5.6.2C, for one

Thank you! That is what I was looking for. I breezed past that scenario in haste.
Old Fri Feb 16, 2018, 01:59pm
Official Forum Member

Superman, you should read the rule book with your glasses on, not off.
Old Fri Feb 16, 2018, 03:23pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks for the advice all around. I appreciate that feedback on this situation and a more clear understanding of the rules. Thanks to all who responded.