The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 05, 2018, 11:40pm
Official Forum Member

Dead Ball Dunk: To "T" or not to "T"?

My games have been devoid of interesting situations this season but I finally had one tonight. A1 (big man) receives the ball at the free throw line with a clear path to the basket ahead of him. Just as he takes his one and only dribble in what will clearly be a dunk, T calls an illegal screen on A2. A1 continues the motion that he had started with the dribble, takes two big steps, and dunks the dead ball. Not a tomahawk bring-the-house-down kind of dunk, but a very soft dunk.

Sure, the ball was dead. I was C and I got together with L to discuss while T was reporting the foul on A2. We thought that A1 probably could have heard the whistle and stopped, but we gave him the benefit of the doubt and did not assess a T. Also, in hindsight (just thought about this while I was typing), what's to say that A1, who's eyes were fixed on the basket, knew that the foul behind him was on the offense? What if it had been on the defense? He'd have a right to his continuous motion. Why give that up if you're not sure of the reason for the whistle?

So....I think we handled it right (more so in hindsight), but it was weird in the moment and I thought good for a discussion here.
Old Fri Jan 05, 2018, 11:49pm
Esteemed Forum Member

By The Book ...

Pass on the technical foul.

Famous college situation here in Connecticut more than forty years ago. Southern Connecticut State College is ahead by one point over Springfield at the final buzzer. After the final buzzer, excited Southern player dunks the ball to celebrate the victory over a New England rival. Officials call the technical foul, free throw by Springfield ties the game, which goes into overtime and Springfield ends up winning the game.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sat Jan 06, 2018, 01:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
My games have been devoid of interesting situations this season but I finally had one tonight. A1 (big man) receives the ball at the free throw line with a clear path to the basket ahead of him. Just as he takes his one and only dribble in what will clearly be a dunk, T calls an illegal screen on A2. A1 continues the motion that he had started with the dribble, takes two big steps, and dunks the dead ball. Not a tomahawk bring-the-house-down kind of dunk, but a very soft dunk.

Sure, the ball was dead. I was C and I got together with L to discuss while T was reporting the foul on A2. We thought that A1 probably could have heard the whistle and stopped, but we gave him the benefit of the doubt and did not assess a T. Also, in hindsight (just thought about this while I was typing), what's to say that A1, who's eyes were fixed on the basket, knew that the foul behind him was on the offense? What if it had been on the defense? He'd have a right to his continuous motion. Why give that up if you're not sure of the reason for the whistle?

So....I think we handled it right (more so in hindsight), but it was weird in the moment and I thought good for a discussion here.
Players shoot dead balls all the time. See my signature line.
Old Sat Jan 06, 2018, 08:37am
Courageous When Prudent

I think you handle it correctly by rule and by Common Sense. You are correct in that the player does not know why the whistle was blown.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
Old Sat Jan 06, 2018, 08:43am
Official Forum Member

I think there used to be some play where A1, on a breakaway, jumps up, grabs the rim with one hand and, pulls himself up, and dunks with the other hand.

Ruling: T for grabbing the ring. Makes the ball dead. T for dunking.

Not listed in the ruling, the T you'd have to give the coach.

In the OP -- treat it as an "unsporting act" -- if it was, enforce it (much like the slapping the backboard rule). I don't think it was in your case.
Old Sat Jan 06, 2018, 09:05am
Get away from me, Steve.

Good decision.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old Sun Jan 07, 2018, 02:37pm
Official Forum Member

Saw a similar play in HS last year. Except the whistle was while the layer was at midcourt and the player still went all the way to the basket for a fancy dunk. No T was given. Saw the dunk the next day on ESPN’s top 10.
Old Sun Jan 07, 2018, 10:20pm
Official Forum Member

Excellent officiating!
Old Mon Jan 08, 2018, 01:47pm
Official Forum Member

For further info/clarification, check NFHS case 10.4.3 Sit D.

Also, NCAAM Case A.R. 231 lends info.
Old Mon Jan 08, 2018, 01:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
I think there used to be some play where A1, on a breakaway, jumps up, grabs the rim with one hand and, pulls himself up, and dunks with the other hand.

Ruling: T for grabbing the ring. Makes the ball dead. T for dunking.
So are you ejecting A1 for these actions?