The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Feb 10, 2018, 04:47pm
Official Forum Member

Video request: Xavier beats Creighton on final drive/foul

Oh, Ru-u-u-u-t ... (or anyone else with video snipping abilities),

Thoughts on the final drive that drew a foul call as Xavier sank 2 FTAs with 0.3 seconds left to win by 1 on Saturday?

Lead rotated over in mid-play to emphatically call a block from behind that will no doubt have tongues wagging in more than Nebraska. (Game just ended and need better looks.)

Thoughts?

Apparently there also was a foul called on Xavier hitting a Creighton 3-pt shooter relatively lightly (?) just a moment earlier (I was out of the room), and the Creighton shooter hit all 3 FTAs to put his team up 71-70 to set up the final drama. Both plays worth a look?
Old Sat Feb 10, 2018, 05:06pm
Official Forum Member

It's a secondary defender in transition that came from L's primary. I believe that is 100% his call under men's college mechanics.

It was a foul, and hats off to him for having the stones to call it. I'd probably be emphatic, too, if I was calling a foul in a 1-point game with 0.3 left.
Old Sat Feb 10, 2018, 05:26pm
Do not give a damn!!

I will get this later tonight or early tomorrow. I did not record the game but it is coming on several times tonight. I will see if I can get this play outside of a highlight.

Peace
Old Sat Feb 10, 2018, 08:35pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
It's a secondary defender in transition that came from L's primary. I believe that is 100% his call under men's college mechanics.

It was a foul, and hats off to him for having the stones to call it. I'd probably be emphatic, too, if I was calling a foul in a 1-point game with 0.3 left.
He pinched the paint and made the decision mid lane. Absolutely fantastic mechanic, there.

And I think it was a foul, too.

The other one was a touch foul on an airborne shooter's non shooting arm after the shot was released. Someone smarter than me will have to tell me if they want that called in the name of protecting a shooter.
Old Sat Feb 10, 2018, 08:55pm
Official Forum Member

It was a foul

If it was a foul during the game, it is a foul with 1 second remaining in the game. Great call by the official. No LGP!!!!
Old Sun Feb 11, 2018, 12:41am
Do not give a damn!!

Here are the plays (Video)

Play #1:

Play #2:

Play #3:

Peace
Old Sun Feb 11, 2018, 08:20am
Official Forum Member

that's not a foul, player went straight up, both of them, perfectly legal. only thing approaching a foul , and it wasn't either, was the off arm of the driver. clearly bad call.
Old Sun Feb 11, 2018, 08:53am
Official Forum Member

1- travel. put his left foot down first to establish pivot, then right foot, picked left foot up and put it down. Happened so fast amazing the official got it really.

2- foul but minor contact. However I feel even minor contact to the arms in the act of shooting needs to be called.

3- no foul good LGP.
Old Sun Feb 11, 2018, 09:45am
Official Forum Member

I like the foul on the 3-point shot -- having called one myself at the buzzer in OT with a tie score.
Old Sun Feb 11, 2018, 10:32am
Esteemed Forum Member

0:00 And A Buzzer ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
... at the buzzer in OT with a tie score.
My post is aimed at rookies. bob jenkin's post reminded me of a situation that I observed this past week.

My partner and I were watching the end of the junior varsity game preceding our varsity game from the trainer's office as my partner was getting a hamstring injury taped. Tie score. Player fouled in the act of shooting at the buzzer. 0:00 on the clock, and the buzzer sounded. The junior varsity officials got together and decided to shoot the free throws and leave the clock at 0:00. What happened next is bizarre, on two counts. They allowed the players to line up on the free throw lanes while the free throws were being attempted; and they allowed the player to attempt the second free throw after the first attempt was successful (winning the game).
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Feb 11, 2018 at 12:39pm.
Old Mon Feb 12, 2018, 02:52am
Official Forum Member

1. Travel. But almost never called...unless the alternative is a charge.

2. Flop. He touched him, sure, but that's it...no foul.

3. Good call...on #4, not #32.
Old Mon Feb 12, 2018, 07:09am
AremRed

Play 1: Not a travel. But I see D1 guys "save" a player a foul with this type of call all the time. Don't like that, this travel is splitting hairs and not consistent with the way other foot action is officiated in different parts of the game.

Play 2: Not a foul. Weak shit.

Play 3: Also not a foul, but 'consistent' with Play 2.
Old Mon Feb 12, 2018, 07:48am
Official Forum Member

You can sell it, but ...

This is a great example to debate (clip 3), and it's not fair to the comrade in stripes because we can play it back and forth all we want (thanks again, Rut).

But, ultimately, if you're in that situation, other than showing you're paying attention, rotating and coming out strong with the call -- all done superbly -- just what the heck could you tell No. 32 to do differently next time? (OK, OK our job is not to coach ... )

But breaking this down, it's a sincere request. Take a look: What does this guy have to do differently next time? Be honest. He was in his own spot in time and jumped straight up. The clutter from No. 4 pinching (did he foul?) admittedly made it more confusing in real time.

It's a heat-of-the-moment call that could have gone either way. But with the benefit of video breakdown, it's tough to say this is something to punish a defender for -- at any point in the game.

Probably the most remarkable thing of this is the restraint 32 showed afterward.

And, no, I have no dog in this fight. I'm also not criticizing a fellow official. It's all about the learning aspect for next time, as far as I'm concerned. Grateful for the help this board always offers.
Old Mon Feb 12, 2018, 08:29am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amesman View Post
This is a great example to debate (clip 3), and it's not fair to the comrade in stripes because we can play it back and forth all we want (thanks again, Rut).

But, ultimately, if you're in that situation, other than showing you're paying attention, rotating and coming out strong with the call -- all done superbly -- just what the heck could you tell No. 32 to do differently next time? (OK, OK our job is not to coach ... )

But breaking this down, it's a sincere request. Take a look: What does this guy have to do differently next time? Be honest. He was in his own spot in time and jumped straight up. The clutter from No. 4 pinching (did he foul?) admittedly made it more confusing in real time.

It's a heat-of-the-moment call that could have gone either way. But with the benefit of video breakdown, it's tough to say this is something to punish a defender for -- at any point in the game.

Probably the most remarkable thing of this is the restraint 32 showed afterward.

And, no, I have no dog in this fight. I'm also not criticizing a fellow official. It's all about the learning aspect for next time, as far as I'm concerned. Grateful for the help this board always offers.
The foul was on #4, not #32. IMO, the contact from #4's left leg causes A1 to travel before releasing the shot.
Old Mon Feb 12, 2018, 08:38am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
Play 1: Not a travel. But I see D1 guys "save" a player a foul with this type of call all the time. Don't like that, this travel is splitting hairs and not consistent with the way other foot action is officiated in different parts of the game.

Play 2: Not a foul. Weak shit.

Play 3: Also not a foul, but 'consistent' with Play 2.
1) First you say it's not a travel, then you say it's splitting hairs. It is a travel. Whether or not it is consistently called is another debate.

2) Close enough to the release of the shot, and significant enough contact to call a foul in this situation.

3) Significant enough contact to call a foul (on #4), especially in consideration of the previous play.

You still have the annoying habit of bashing officials instead of analyzing and breaking down plays. If you're going to call it "weak sh!t" here, then say it to them when they are observing at your camps. But don't be "that guy" who mouths off anonymously on social media, but not publicly with your name attached.