The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 12, 2018, 09:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
The foul was on #4, not #32.
OK, THAT I can buy into, if someone wants to press that point. That's what I get for watching with the sound down and seeing the overabundance of camera on No. 32. It actually looks like 4's chest, not leg bumps shooter. And to tell the truth, that was my initial reaction in real time. Then got distracted by so much 32.
Old Mon Feb 12, 2018, 09:38am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
1) First you say it's not a travel, then you say it's splitting hairs. It is a travel. Whether or not it is consistently called is another debate.

2) Close enough to the release of the shot, and significant enough contact to call a foul in this situation.

3) Significant enough contact to call a foul (on #4), especially in consideration of the previous play.

You still have the annoying habit of bashing officials instead of analyzing and breaking down plays. If you're going to call it "weak sh!t" here, then say it to them when they are observing at your camps. But don't be "that guy" who mouths off anonymously on social media, but not publicly with your name attached.
+1. The lack of respect shown for people who worked very hard to get where they are is astounding.

And, frankly, people are not as anonymous as they think they are.
Old Mon Feb 12, 2018, 09:56am
Official Forum Member

1. No travel. Right foot pivot foot.

2. Minor contact. Big time flop.

3. Travel on Black #3 before anything else happened (left foot pivot foot). Probably difficult for T to judge unless he steps down more on the play so he can see ball status.

edit: Technical foul on White coach for leaving his coaching box/time out area to scream "that's bull shit!" "that's awful!".

Last edited by #olderthanilook; Mon Feb 12, 2018 at 09:58am.
Old Mon Feb 12, 2018, 11:47am
Official Forum Member

Was hoping this would get posted. I went to Creighton so am a fan and not entitled to give an opinion on these plays.

Interesting to hear peoples thoughts though. Difficult plays to make game time decisions on.
Old Mon Feb 12, 2018, 12:02pm
AremRed

Quote:
1) First you say it's not a travel, then you say it's splitting hairs. It is a travel. Whether or not it is consistently called is another debate.

2) Close enough to the release of the shot, and significant enough contact to call a foul in this situation.

3) Significant enough contact to call a foul (on #4), especially in consideration of the previous play.

You still have the annoying habit of bashing officials instead of analyzing and breaking down plays. If you're going to call it "weak sh!t" here, then say it to them when they are observing at your camps. But don't be "that guy" who mouths off anonymously on social media, but not publicly with your name attached.
Whoa whoa whoa, nowhere did I bash any of the officials on the game. You think I did, because I disagreed with the calls. However disagreeing with a call and thinking it is weak/not consistent with other calls made across the game/league/D1 is not the same as bashing an official. All three guys on this game are excellent officials and while I may not like a call here, I have tremendous respect for their resumes and how hard they work. Full stop.
Old Mon Feb 12, 2018, 12:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdoebler View Post
Was hoping this would get posted. I went to Creighton so am a fan and not entitled to give an opinion on these plays.
I don't think that's true at all -- as long as you recognize your bias(es), and provide rules-based reasons for your responses
Old Mon Feb 12, 2018, 12:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry. Old habits die hard.

The foul was a great call as an unabashed Creighton hater. As a neutral official, it was marginal but I think you can support it with video.
Old Mon Feb 12, 2018, 12:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
I don't think that's true at all -- as long as you recognize your bias(es), and provide rules-based reasons for your responses
Well with the disclaimer I will give my opinion:

1. I personally dislike the notion of if the foul on the 3 point shot is a foul then the final one is a foul also. With the amount of video available to officials/assignors/interpreters every play has to be refereed individually.

2. IMO white #4 establishes legal guarding position facing the defender and moves backward. The black player initiates the contact with white #4.

3. In somewhat contrast to my first point, like plays do have to be refereed consistently throughout the game. Throughout the course of the game I thought that there were plays well officiated in regards to LGP and verticality. There were instances were contact took place with a defender in LGP and this was deemed a charge or incidental.

4. Evon Burroughs is a great official with the best look at the play and it is difficult/impossible to definitely overrule him here.
Old Mon Feb 12, 2018, 12:57pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:

Interesting to hear peoples thoughts though. Difficult plays to make game time decisions on.
I am a huge Michigan fan and post many of my videos of Michigan games. I often will show plays specifically that were against Michigan and give the officials the credit for calling the foul or not calling the foul when it is appropriate. Being a fan is one thing, but being an official is another.

Peace
Old Mon Feb 12, 2018, 01:05pm
Official Forum Member

Play 3: Clearly not a foul on 32. I can see the foul on 4 as being correct. What irritated me the most was the L's position. A vast majority of plays occur on the right side and once the dribbler turned in the BC to come down the right, he should have closed IMO. Otherwise, he is looking through multiple bodies. With the way the play actually went, L should not have had a whistle and trusted C's position/look. If L would have done that, then I bet we are not even talking about this play.
Old Mon Feb 12, 2018, 01:19pm
Official Forum Member

Do D1 guys talk about locking down your position with that little time left? So as to avoid a missed rotation? I'm wondering if that's the reason he stayed on the other side of the paint.
Old Mon Feb 12, 2018, 01:26pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNIgiantslayers View Post
Do D1 guys talk about locking down your position with that little time left? So as to avoid a missed rotation? I'm wondering if that's the reason he stayed on the other side of the paint.
On a last second shot, there is no rotation to miss. Guys talk about getting wherever you need to get to referee the last shot.
Old Mon Feb 12, 2018, 01:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky View Post
Play 3: Clearly not a foul on 32. I can see the foul on 4 as being correct. What irritated me the most was the L's position. A vast majority of plays occur on the right side and once the dribbler turned in the BC to come down the right, he should have closed IMO. Otherwise, he is looking through multiple bodies. With the way the play actually went, L should not have had a whistle and trusted C's position/look. If L would have done that, then I bet we are not even talking about this play.
For reference the call was made on white #4.
Old Mon Feb 12, 2018, 06:35pm
Official Forum Member

#1 - Travel, excellent get.
#2 - It's a foul. On the off arm, the balls already away, the guy fell like he got shot with a rifle, I get that, but it's still a foul
#3 - I really like the foul on #4. His body contact funneled the offensive player right into a defender. The question of consistency came up earlier in the thread to which I can't comment, but seeing only this play, foul.
Old Mon Feb 12, 2018, 06:36pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNIgiantslayers View Post
This whole concept of locking down was a real fad around here for a while -- but we've eliminated it entirely from our conversation. The L goes where he needs to go to officiate and we adjust accordingly.

I'd say he pinched rather than come across because there's this effect that happens if you try to officiate a drive mid-rotation -- the whole thing passes in front of you and straight-lines you at the most important moment. If you can't get over and receive the play, step in to the lane to where you need to go to get it as best you can.