View Single Post
Old Mon Feb 12, 2018, 07:48am
Official Forum Member

You can sell it, but ...

This is a great example to debate (clip 3), and it's not fair to the comrade in stripes because we can play it back and forth all we want (thanks again, Rut).

But, ultimately, if you're in that situation, other than showing you're paying attention, rotating and coming out strong with the call -- all done superbly -- just what the heck could you tell No. 32 to do differently next time? (OK, OK our job is not to coach ... )

But breaking this down, it's a sincere request. Take a look: What does this guy have to do differently next time? Be honest. He was in his own spot in time and jumped straight up. The clutter from No. 4 pinching (did he foul?) admittedly made it more confusing in real time.

It's a heat-of-the-moment call that could have gone either way. But with the benefit of video breakdown, it's tough to say this is something to punish a defender for -- at any point in the game.

Probably the most remarkable thing of this is the restraint 32 showed afterward.

And, no, I have no dog in this fight. I'm also not criticizing a fellow official. It's all about the learning aspect for next time, as far as I'm concerned. Grateful for the help this board always offers.