The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 07, 2018, 08:38am
Official Forum Member

Whistle in the pocket: Strange Mechanics

Last night I watched a Girls Varsity Ref who worked lanyard free. He would whistle a foul, take the whistle and put it in his pocket, then report the foul. It was pretty strange. He was a fine ref besides that bizarre habit. What's the weirdest mechanic/habit that you've seen?
Old Wed Feb 07, 2018, 09:34am
Official Forum Member

That's not that weird. Some tuck the whistle in the waistband, and some just hold it (when possible -- it's tough to signal a foul on 55 while holding the whistle )
Old Wed Feb 07, 2018, 09:59am
Official Forum Member

Have you ever watched the NBA?

Going lanyardless may or may not be an acceptable practice depending on your locale/assigners, but it's certainly not "weird."
Old Wed Feb 07, 2018, 10:09am
Official Forum Member

OK, I stand corrected...

I only every really watch HS ball.. but I watch a lot of it. Have seen hundreds of games, and I never actually recall a ref keeping his whistle in his pocket. Seemed weird as heck to me, but I have been corrected. Turns out it is not weird at all.

Having said that it is possible others have done it and been smooth about it, hitting the whistle then deftly slipping it in the pocket as you jog to reporting area. That is not this ref's mechanic though-- he's probably 70 plus, so moved a bit slow to start with. When he stopped play, he would then go through a painfully slow process of putting the whistle away and only then would start to move towards the reporting area.
Old Wed Feb 07, 2018, 10:59am
Official Forum Member

I have a buddy who is a varsity ref in my area that has done this for several years. He's mastered it.

One day, several years ago, we were working a youth weekend summer tournament together. I was giving him some crap about it so he challenged me to try it.

We didn't get more than a min or two into the game and the whistle drops right out of my mouth, bounces off my leg and slides across the floor as I run to the reporting area following a foul call.
Old Wed Feb 07, 2018, 11:00am
Official Forum Member

I don't know about pocket/waistband being weird or not, but the one time I experimented with going lanyard-free, I sold a call with a strong blast--and my whistle shot 40 feet across the gym floor! End of experiment.
Old Wed Feb 07, 2018, 11:00am
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotationslim View Post
What's the weirdest mechanic/habit that you've seen?
Probably Dick Cartmell’s windmill-style “stop clock with one hand and weirdly wrap the other arm underneath and across the body to point direction” mechanic. He does it whenever he calls OOB with goes up with the wrong arm.
Old Wed Feb 07, 2018, 11:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
Probably Dick Cartmell’s windmill-style “stop clock with one hand and weirdly wrap the other arm underneath and across the body to point direction” mechanic. He does it whenever he calls OOB with goes up with the wrong arm.
Haha love it, my basketball coach growing up
Old Wed Feb 07, 2018, 01:25pm
Official Forum Member

The NBA guys rarely put the whistle in their pocket. Usually they can report fouls while holding the whistle.
Old Wed Feb 07, 2018, 01:37pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
I only every really watch HS ball.. but I watch a lot of it. Have seen hundreds of games, and I never actually recall a ref keeping his whistle in his pocket. Seemed weird as heck to me, but I have been corrected. Turns out it is not weird at all.

Having said that it is possible others have done it and been smooth about it, hitting the whistle then deftly slipping it in the pocket as you jog to reporting area. That is not this ref's mechanic though-- he's probably 70 plus, so moved a bit slow to start with. When he stopped play, he would then go through a painfully slow process of putting the whistle away and only then would start to move towards the reporting area.
Not weird here, it is very common as we have many officials that work pro-am type games all year long. So many guys will go without a lanyard. I go without a lanyard in the summer to slow my whistle down. I would do it during the regular season if it was more accepted, but it does not make that much difference to me. And yes, I put the whistle in my pocket when reporting a number with a 5 in it and it is not in my other hand.

Peace
Old Wed Feb 07, 2018, 01:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Last night I watched a Girls Varsity Ref who worked lanyard free. He would whistle a foul, take the whistle and put it in his pocket, then report the foul. It was pretty strange. He was a fine ref besides that bizarre habit. What's the weirdest mechanic/habit that you've seen?
...were you in Northern Colorado last night?
Old Wed Feb 07, 2018, 02:01pm
Official Forum Member

I'm not coordinated enough to do it. My whistle would be on the floor as much as it would be in my mouth.
Old Wed Feb 07, 2018, 02:04pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SE Minnestoa Re View Post
I'm not coordinated enough to do it. My whistle would be on the floor as much as it would be in my mouth.
It takes some practice. But I started out of completely forgetting my lanyard during a summer game.

Peace
Old Wed Feb 07, 2018, 02:42pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by SE Minnestoa Re View Post
I don't have the dexterity to move my whistle between fingers so that I can properly display numbers.
Old Wed Feb 07, 2018, 02:47pm
Official Forum Member

I myself do not use a lanyard. I have what tape of myself with and without one. When I go without one, I have a slower and more patient whistle. I can’t explain why this is, but the video doesn’t lie.