The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Whistle in the pocket: Strange Mechanics (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/103486-whistle-pocket-strange-mechanics.html)

rotationslim Wed Feb 07, 2018 08:38am

Whistle in the pocket: Strange Mechanics

Last night I watched a Girls Varsity Ref who worked lanyard free. He would whistle a foul, take the whistle and put it in his pocket, then report the foul. It was pretty strange. He was a fine ref besides that bizarre habit. What's the weirdest mechanic/habit that you've seen?

bob jenkins Wed Feb 07, 2018 09:34am

That's not that weird. Some tuck the whistle in the waistband, and some just hold it (when possible -- it's tough to signal a foul on 55 while holding the whistle ;) )

SC Official Wed Feb 07, 2018 09:59am

Have you ever watched the NBA?

Going lanyardless may or may not be an acceptable practice depending on your locale/assigners, but it's certainly not "weird."

rotationslim Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:09am

OK, I stand corrected...

I only every really watch HS ball.. but I watch a lot of it. Have seen hundreds of games, and I never actually recall a ref keeping his whistle in his pocket. Seemed weird as heck to me, but I have been corrected. Turns out it is not weird at all.

Having said that it is possible others have done it and been smooth about it, hitting the whistle then deftly slipping it in the pocket as you jog to reporting area. That is not this ref's mechanic though-- he's probably 70 plus, so moved a bit slow to start with. When he stopped play, he would then go through a painfully slow process of putting the whistle away and only then would start to move towards the reporting area.

#olderthanilook Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:59am

I have a buddy who is a varsity ref in my area that has done this for several years. He's mastered it.

One day, several years ago, we were working a youth weekend summer tournament together. I was giving him some crap about it so he challenged me to try it.

We didn't get more than a min or two into the game and the whistle drops right out of my mouth, bounces off my leg and slides across the floor as I run to the reporting area following a foul call.

LRZ Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:00am

I don't know about pocket/waistband being weird or not, but the one time I experimented with going lanyard-free, I sold a call with a strong blast--and my whistle shot 40 feet across the gym floor! End of experiment.

AremRed Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:00am

Quote:

Originally Posted by rotationslim (Post 1016453)
What's the weirdest mechanic/habit that you've seen?

Probably Dick Cartmell’s windmill-style “stop clock with one hand and weirdly wrap the other arm underneath and across the body to point direction” mechanic. He does it whenever he calls OOB with goes up with the wrong arm.

sdoebler Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:37am

Quote:

Originally Posted by AremRed (Post 1016480)
Probably Dick Cartmell’s windmill-style “stop clock with one hand and weirdly wrap the other arm underneath and across the body to point direction” mechanic. He does it whenever he calls OOB with goes up with the wrong arm.

:) Haha love it, my basketball coach growing up

Jay R Wed Feb 07, 2018 01:25pm

The NBA guys rarely put the whistle in their pocket. Usually they can report fouls while holding the whistle.

JRutledge Wed Feb 07, 2018 01:37pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by rotationslim (Post 1016476)
I only every really watch HS ball.. but I watch a lot of it. Have seen hundreds of games, and I never actually recall a ref keeping his whistle in his pocket. Seemed weird as heck to me, but I have been corrected. Turns out it is not weird at all.

Having said that it is possible others have done it and been smooth about it, hitting the whistle then deftly slipping it in the pocket as you jog to reporting area. That is not this ref's mechanic though-- he's probably 70 plus, so moved a bit slow to start with. When he stopped play, he would then go through a painfully slow process of putting the whistle away and only then would start to move towards the reporting area.

Not weird here, it is very common as we have many officials that work pro-am type games all year long. So many guys will go without a lanyard. I go without a lanyard in the summer to slow my whistle down. I would do it during the regular season if it was more accepted, but it does not make that much difference to me. And yes, I put the whistle in my pocket when reporting a number with a 5 in it and it is not in my other hand.

Peace

MechanicGuy Wed Feb 07, 2018 01:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by rotationslim (Post 1016453)
Last night I watched a Girls Varsity Ref who worked lanyard free. He would whistle a foul, take the whistle and put it in his pocket, then report the foul. It was pretty strange. He was a fine ref besides that bizarre habit. What's the weirdest mechanic/habit that you've seen?

...were you in Northern Colorado last night? :eek:

SE Minnestoa Re Wed Feb 07, 2018 02:01pm

I'm not coordinated enough to do it. My whistle would be on the floor as much as it would be in my mouth.

JRutledge Wed Feb 07, 2018 02:04pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SE Minnestoa Re (Post 1016513)
I'm not coordinated enough to do it. My whistle would be on the floor as much as it would be in my mouth.

It takes some practice. But I started out of completely forgetting my lanyard during a summer game.

Peace

Raymond Wed Feb 07, 2018 02:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SE Minnestoa Re (Post 1016513)

I don't have the dexterity to move my whistle between fingers so that I can properly display numbers.

kenref1 Wed Feb 07, 2018 02:47pm

I myself do not use a lanyard. I have what tape of myself with and without one. When I go without one, I have a slower and more patient whistle. I can’t explain why this is, but the video doesn’t lie.