The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   how many free throws (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/103442-how-many-free-throws.html)

billyu2 Wed Jan 31, 2018 06:16pm

EXCEPTION: The ball does not become dead until the try or tap ends, or until the airborne shooter returns to the floor, when:
a. Article 5, 6, or 7 occurs while a try or tap for a field goal is in flight.

We know if a foul occurs while a try is in flight, the ball becomes dead when the try ends - successful/unsuccessful. (no airborne shooter involved) What I believe the rule above is saying (plus 6.7.4) is: if an airborne shooter is involved, regardless of the outcome of the try, if the shooter is still airborne, the ball does not become dead until the airborne shooter returns to the floor. Otherwise, if the ball were dead based on the result of the try, subsequent contact by or against the still airborne shooter would have to be ignored unless ruled intentional or flagrant.

Rich Wed Jan 31, 2018 07:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bucky (Post 1015991)
So uncommon that....oh, just read my tagline.

Go ahead and make that call all you like. As a reward, there will be all the 7th grade games you can possibly work.

Camron Rust Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:35am

Quote:

Originally Posted by billyu2 (Post 1016020)
EXCEPTION: The ball does not become dead until the try or tap ends, or until the airborne shooter returns to the floor, when:
a. Article 5, 6, or 7 occurs while a try or tap for a field goal is in flight.

We know if a foul occurs while a try is in flight, the ball becomes dead when the try ends - successful/unsuccessful. (no airborne shooter involved) What I believe the rule above is saying (plus 6.7.4) is: if an airborne shooter is involved, regardless of the outcome of the try, if the shooter is still airborne, the ball does not become dead until the airborne shooter returns to the floor. Otherwise, if the ball were dead based on the result of the try, subsequent contact by or against the still airborne shooter would have to be ignored unless ruled intentional or flagrant.

Incorrect. The ball is dead when the try ends, even if the shooter is still airborne. However, a foul on/by an airborne shooter is by rule deemed to be personal, even if the ball is dead.

Rule 4-19
Quote:

ART. 1 . . . A personal foul is a player foul which involves illegal contact with an opponent while the ball is live, which hinders an opponent from performing normal defensive and offensive movements. A personal foul also includes contact by or on an airborne shooter when the ball is dead. NOTE: Contact after the ball has become dead is incidental unless it is ruled intentional or flagrant or is committed by or on an airborne shooter.

ChuckS Thu Feb 01, 2018 01:39am

I wouldn't say "incorrect", since he provided a direct quote from the Rule Book. It's just another inconsistency in the rules. One could also say that Rule 4-19-1 is "Incorrect" due to the language quoted above from Rule 6-7 Exception a. The NFHS could (and should) rewrite one of those rules to agree with the other. And no, I won't hold my breath!

Camron Rust Thu Feb 01, 2018 04:41am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChuckS (Post 1016041)
I wouldn't say "incorrect", since he provided a direct quote from the Rule Book. It's just another inconsistency in the rules. One could also say that Rule 4-19-1 is "Incorrect" due to the language quoted above from Rule 6-7 Exception a. The NFHS could (and should) rewrite one of those rules to agree with the other. And no, I won't hold my breath!

Hmmm..you may be right there. The other rules are unambiguous in that the ball can be already dead with an airborne shooter. Given that, I'd chalk his reading of that exception up to bad grammar in the exception. I'm trying to figure out what they really meant by that and am a bit stumped.

billyu2 Thu Feb 01, 2018 07:44am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChuckS (Post 1016041)

Agree.
Also, the ruling in the case book (6.7.4) supports the exception in the rule book: “A1’s player control foul causes the ball to become dead immediately . . . Even if the ball had gone through the basket before the foul.”

billyu2 Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:57pm

Rule 4-19
Quote:
ART. 1 . . . A personal foul is a player foul which involves illegal contact with an opponent while the ball is live, which hinders an opponent from performing normal defensive and offensive movements. A personal foul also includes contact by or on an airborne shooter when the ball is dead. NOTE: Contact after the ball has become dead is incidental unless it is ruled intentional or flagrant or is committed by or on an airborne shooter.

Camron, I believe this rule is valid and applies in the situation where a defender commits basket interference first (and I suppose goal tending as well) after which there is contact by or on an airborne shooter. The violation causes the ball to become dead but; there can still be a personal foul by or on the shooter. So 4.19.6 Situation A would be the supporting case play.
I think this would solve the contradiction between this rule and 6-7 Exception.
Your thoughts?

hamnegger Mon Feb 05, 2018 09:04am

The second play is a false multiple foul and each carries it's own penalty.

Camron Rust Mon Feb 05, 2018 02:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by billyu2 (Post 1016159)
Rule 4-19
Quote:

Camron, I believe this rule is valid and applies in the situation where a defender commits basket interference first (and I suppose goal tending as well) after which there is contact by or on an airborne shooter. The violation causes the ball to become dead but; there can still be a personal foul by or on the shooter. So 4.19.6 Situation A would be the supporting case play.
I think this would solve the contradiction between this rule and 6-7 Exception.
Your thoughts?

I believe you may have found the answer.