The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 26, 2018, 11:36am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by justacoach View Post
Welcome to the forum, Mr. Semantics checking in!

A coach may REQUEST a time out. It is up to the official, to decide to grant it.
In your case, legit request, should be granted.

Factors to consider.....
If his played is shooting, request may be granted even if shooter has ball but before shot is released.
If opponent is shooting, request must be made before the ball is 'at the disposal of shooter. See Rules Book for definition of 'at the disposal'

NB:This is for NFHS rules, other levels may differ.

If the situation is such that a Team is allowed to request a TO, then the Game Official must grant the request.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Fri Jan 26, 2018, 11:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
If the situation is such that a Team is allowed to request a TO, then the Game Official must grant the request.

MTD, Sr.
So in the hopeless unlikely scenario that Billy Mac raised, if a team is out of time outs at the end of the game that is going to OT, but requests one (thinking he has a new one for OT) before OT starts, does the R, (A) grant a TO and give a T for not having any, or (B) tell the coach that he can't be granted the additional TO until after the OT starts?

(And for the life of me I can't figure out why a realistic reason a coach would do that anyway . . .maybe the star is still having a cut wrapped up?)
Old Fri Jan 26, 2018, 12:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by so cal lurker View Post
So in the hopeless unlikely scenario that Billy Mac raised, if a team is out of time outs at the end of the game that is going to OT, but requests one (thinking he has a new one for OT) before OT starts, does the R, (A) grant a TO and give a T for not having any, or (B) tell the coach that he can't be granted the additional TO until after the OT starts?

(And for the life of me I can't figure out why a realistic reason a coach would do that anyway . . .maybe the star is still having a cut wrapped up?)
B, then A if the coach still wants it. (This is kind of the exception to the "grant any request that meets the requirements" guideline.)
Old Fri Jan 26, 2018, 12:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
B, then A if the coach still wants it. (This is kind of the exception to the "grant any request that meets the requirements" guideline.)
Agree.
Old Fri Jan 26, 2018, 12:39pm
Official Forum Member

Ok, how about this sitch:

Tie game. 2.3 seconds left. Team A inbounding bedding to go the length of the floor to score. Team B steals the inbounds pass just outside the 3 point line and turns to shoot. B1 is fouled in the act of shooting a three point shot as time expires. Team A still has 3 time outs.

Is there any reason Team A couldn’t call a timeout before the first free throw is attempted, and then if that is missed, call another one before the second FT, and if that misses, take another timeout before the final FT.

I had that in a game yesterday, just without the timeouts mixed in. Player misses the first two before making the third to win the game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Fri Jan 26, 2018, 01:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I agree but I would also, and some may disagree with this, tell the coach that if he still wants to call a TO, then he would receive a T.
Old Fri Jan 26, 2018, 01:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Blue_Wannabe View Post
Is there any reason Team A couldn’t call a timeout before the first free throw is attempted, and then if that is missed, call another one before the second FT, and if that misses, take another timeout before the final FT.
So -- you're asking whether a successive timeout may (not) be granted depends on whether the ball becomes live or the clock starts?

The definition of successive timeout is clear.
Old Fri Jan 26, 2018, 01:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
So -- you're asking whether a successive timeout may (not) be granted depends on whether the ball becomes live or the clock starts?

The definition of successive timeout is clear.
"STO is one which is granted to either team before the clock has started following the previous time-out." So, no, could not request them between FT's. Ball was live but clock did not start.
Old Sat Jan 27, 2018, 11:35am
Esteemed Forum Member

Either Team ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky View Post
"STO is one which is granted to either team before the clock has started following the previous time-out." So, no, could not request them between FT's. Ball was live but clock did not start.
Either team.

Just to be clear: In a tied game, with both teams having multiple timeouts still available, with Team A in the double bonus, A1 is fouled so close to the end of the fourth period that the buzzer subsequently sounds and the clock shows 0:00:00.

Officials meet and decide that while the foul occurred barely before the buzzer, nobody has any definite knowledge regarding how much time was on the clock when the foul occurred. As the officials are moving into position to allow A1 free throws with the lane cleared, Team A requests and is granted a sixty second time out.

After the timeout, A1 misses the first of two free throws. Team B now requests a sixty second timeout.

The officials deny Team B's timeout request because the rule states that successive timeouts may not be granted to either team.

Right?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Jan 27, 2018 at 12:08pm.
Old Sat Jan 27, 2018, 01:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Either team.

... The officials deny Team B's timeout request because the rule states that successive timeouts may not be granted to either team.

Right?
Right. Only after time has expired (which in this case, it has) but yes, right.
Old Sat Jan 27, 2018, 08:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Either team.

Just to be clear: In a tied game, with both teams having multiple timeouts still available, with Team A in the double bonus, A1 is fouled so close to the end of the fourth period that the buzzer subsequently sounds and the clock shows 0:00:00.

Officials meet and decide that while the foul occurred barely before the buzzer, nobody has any definite knowledge regarding how much time was on the clock when the foul occurred. As the officials are moving into position to allow A1 free throws with the lane cleared, Team A requests and is granted a sixty second time out.

After the timeout, A1 misses the first of two free throws. Team B now requests a sixty second timeout.

The officials deny Team B's timeout request because the rule states that successive timeouts may not be granted to either team.

Right?
I vote incorrect. I feel that successive TO's, based on the wording, refers to each team.
Old Sat Jan 27, 2018, 09:36pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
I vote incorrect. I feel that successive TO's, based on the wording, refers to each team.

You would be wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old Sat Jan 27, 2018, 10:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
You would be wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
How about a rule or case citation? lol
Old Sat Jan 27, 2018, 10:26pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
How about a rule or case citation? lol
How about looking it up yourself?

Look at 5.11.7, both situations.
Old Sun Jan 28, 2018, 04:25am
Esteemed Forum Member

Let's Go To The Videotape ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Look at 5.11.7, both situations.
5.11.7 SITUATION A: Airborne shooter A1 is fouled by B1 with the try in flight.
The horn then sounds ending the fourth quarter playing time. The ball continues
its flight and goes through the basket to tie the score. Before A1 attempts the free
throw as part of the fourth quarter, Team B captain requests and is granted a 60-
second time-out. Team A or B captain then requests a 30-second time-out during
the same dead-ball period. RULING: The second request is denied. At the end of
playing time for the fourth quarter or any overtime period, successive time-outs
shall not be granted. This means a time-out cannot be granted either team until
the clock has run in the extra period – assuming the free throw is missed.
Successive time-outs may be granted in all situations except after time has
expired in the fourth quarter or any extra period.

5.11.7 SITUATION B: Following the expiration of time for the first extra period,
the coach of Team B is charged with a technical foul. Team B requests a time-out
before the free throws are administered to start the second extra period. The
time-out request is granted. Thereafter, the official administers the first free throw
to A1. Following the attempt: (a) Team B; or (b) Team A, then requests a time-out.
RULING: The request cannot be granted in either (a) or (b), as it would be consid -
ered a successive time-out. The fact that the ball did become live between the two
requests has no bearing on the ruling. Another time-out request by either team
cannot be honored until after the clock has started in the second extra period.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)