The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   timeout (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/103416-timeout.html)

ekolnaski Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:17pm

timeout

can a coach call a timeout at the end of a tied game but a foul has been called. this coach called a timeout just before the free throws were going to be shot? is that legal

Rich Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:18pm

Yes.

Consecutive timeouts after time expires in regulation or at the end of an extra period are not allowed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

packersowner Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:39pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 1015529)
Yes.

Consecutive timeouts after time expires in regulation or at the end of an extra period are not allowed.

5-11-7

This has caused confusion for a partner one time. A timeout can be called after regulation, but not successive which you have to go to 4-43-2 for the definition of. He took this to mean successive relative to the "time out break" between quarters or in that case between the 4Q and OT.

Rich Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:44pm

timeout

Successive, right.

We had a crew locally have a player foul out on such a foul a few weeks ago. The defense was going to use the 15 seconds, enter the sub,and then call a 60 second timeout. Before he could do any of these, the crew allowed the team to shoot the winning free throw. Then the second one.

The assigner, ahem, got an email the next morning.

justacoach Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ekolnaski (Post 1015528)
can a coach call a timeout at the end of a tied game but a foul has been called. this coach called a timeout just before the free throws were going to be shot? is that legal

Welcome to the forum, Mr. Semantics checking in!

A coach may REQUEST a time out. It is up to the official, to decide to grant it.
In your case, legit request, should be granted.

Factors to consider.....
If his played is shooting, request may be granted even if shooter has ball but before shot is released.
If opponent is shooting, request must be made before the ball is 'at the disposal of shooter. See Rules Book for definition of 'at the disposal'

NB:This is for NFHS rules, other levels may differ.

BigT Thu Jan 25, 2018 01:06pm

You also can not start OT with a Timeout.

bucky Thu Jan 25, 2018 03:39pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigT (Post 1015541)

Also cannot start the game with a timeout. Or more specifically, no timeout is granted at the start of the game and OT until the ball is live.

crosscountry55 Thu Jan 25, 2018 03:57pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 1015529)
Yes.

I have to imagine that this rule is in place to prevent the endless icing of the free-throw shooter. That means in some game, long long ago, a coach must have called three or four timeouts and dragged the end of the game out by five agonizing minutes. Chances are this rule was added not long after.

Camron Rust Thu Jan 25, 2018 04:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigT (Post 1015541)

Note quite correct. A team can't use the additional timeout granted for OT until the OT has started. But, there is nothing preventing them from using a timeout that was left over from regulation.

bucky Thu Jan 25, 2018 08:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 1015564)
Note quite correct. A team can't use the additional timeout granted for OT until the OT has started. But, there is nothing preventing them from using a timeout that was left over from regulation.

Guess I am confused here. No TO can be used in OT until the ball has become live. Can't just start OT with a TO carried over from the 4th quarter.

BillyMac Thu Jan 25, 2018 08:47pm

Overtime ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by bucky (Post 1015576)
Guess I am confused here. No TO can be used in OT until the ball has become live. Can't just start OT with a TO carried over from the 4th quarter.

That's what I thought, but I'm open to other interpretations.

ODog Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:02pm

Quote:

Can't just start OT with a TO carried over from the 4th quarter.

Yes you can. As mentioned, it just can't be the additional timeout you are allotted for overtime.

Rich Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:07pm

Quote:

How about a rule or case citation?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

bucky Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 1015585)
How about a rule or case citation?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

NFHS Rule 5 Section 11 Article 1 and 5.

Article 1 indicates that "Unused time-outs accumulate and may be used any time". (BigT, Camron, Odog all correct, I was incorrect - thanks)

Article 5 indicates that "A time-out shall not be granted until after the ball has become live to start the game. The additional 60-second time-out provided for each extra period(s) shall not be granted until after the ball has become live to start the extra period(s).

BillyMac Fri Jan 26, 2018 07:06am

Good Citation ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by bucky (Post 1015587)
Article 5 indicates that "A time-out shall not be granted until after the ball has become live to start the game. The additional 60-second time-out provided for each extra period(s) shall not be granted until after the ball has become live to start the extra period(s).

So a team can use a carryover (from the fourth period) timeout (but not successive) between the end of regulation and the beginning of the overtime (jump ball)? Said team can probably also request and be granted a timeout (but not successive) in this situation in excess of the timeout limit with the penalty of a technical foul? Right?