The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 22, 2018, 12:07pm
Official Forum Member

Difficult Play (for me)

Does anybody have some advice for a play that I struggle with? Trail, 2-man, A1 in the backcourt, dribbles along the sideline, crosses the division line, and is immediately trapped by B1 and B2. I count 11 things that I need to look for (BC, OOB, foul by A1, B1, B2, held ball, TO request, elbow swinging violation, closely guarded violation, travel, illegal dribble)

I know we have to multi-task…just looking for how the vets handle this situation – thanks!
Old Mon Jan 22, 2018, 12:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
I know we have to multi-task…just looking for how the vets handle this situation – thanks!
Solution 1: Volunteer to be L at both ends and leave this play to your partner.

Solution 2: Don't look for those 11 things individually. Just look for something illegal and get it -- it comes with experience
Old Mon Jan 22, 2018, 12:34pm
Official Forum Member

Referee the defense (B1 & B2) while being aware of the A1's feet for OOB or BC. The rest will take care of themselves...they will be apparent.

If you watch B1 and B2 and there is contact enough for a foul, you'll know if B1 or B2 deserve it. If not, then it must be A1's foul.

Held ball and timeout mostly call themselves as does elbow swinging (rare) and illegal dribble.

Just keep your count going for the closely guarded.
Old Mon Jan 22, 2018, 01:17pm
Official Forum Member

Also, make sure you have a good distance from the play so you can see everything you need to see. Too close, you might not have angles on those lines. Too far, you might not see some fouls you're looking for. Gotta find that sweet spot.
Old Mon Jan 22, 2018, 01:29pm
High Five Master

And don’t be afraid to stay in the backcourt if it gives you the best angle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Mon Jan 22, 2018, 04:12pm
Official Forum Member

Lobby your association not to work 2-man games and make sure you work with a crew that knows how to initiate a rotation as the C.
Old Mon Jan 22, 2018, 06:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdoebler View Post
Lobby your association not to work 2-man games and make sure you work with a crew that knows how to initiate a rotation as the C.
3-person does make this a lot easier but I don't think that is the issue he is asking for help with...a trap on the sideline just inside the FC, even on the T's sideline. I don't think the question was about a T having to cover this across the court from his/her normal position, but just covering all of the elements in general.

In fact, if it were on the opposite sideline, the L would pick up responsibility for the sideline OOB call.
Old Tue Jan 23, 2018, 10:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
3-person does make this a lot easier but I don't think that is the issue he is asking for help with...a trap on the sideline just inside the FC, even on the T's sideline. I don't think the question was about a T having to cover this across the court from his/her normal position, but just covering all of the elements in general.

In fact, if it were on the opposite sideline, the L would pick up responsibility for the sideline OOB call.
1. This is a play more easily covered 3 officials as the C can help.
2. This was a joke as obviously the solution to a referee problem is not something completely outside of their control.
Old Tue Jan 23, 2018, 11:21am
Official Forum Member

Thanks for all the replies. Sometimes I get too close (thinking that with so many things to look for, closer MUST be better, lol) - will definitely have to find that sweet spot!