The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Sep 16, 2002, 02:10am
Official Forum Member

The first was my own screwup today.

This was Canadian rules, but the principles (and the nature of the screwup) are interchangeable.

After a touchdown, through combined brain-farts of myself and a very, very rookie crew, I set the kicking team up on the wrong line (actually, ten yards back from the correct spot)

The kicking team blew a short kick, which means that the receiving team had possession.

That's when people noticed the screwup. I told the coach I'd made a mistake, and said that my ball-placing error should not give them a chance to kick off again. Ergo, I moved the ball back ten yards to counter the initial field-position glitch, and went from there. Thoughts?

---

In another game I heard of, (Yankee rules, NHFS), the officials had an extended delay due to player injury. The group of stripes huddled to chat and only then realized that one of the coaches had come out to instruct the team.

Granted that the officials in the game should have been alert to prevent the coach from coming out - but what was the right call given that circumstance?

The official called an unsportsmanlike.

My allocator suggests a charged time out.

I figure an unsportsmanlike is the right call, but I do see the logic of the time out, too.

Thoughts?
Old Mon Sep 16, 2002, 10:42am
Official Forum Member

Sit. #1: Sound good. That's what I would have done.

Sit. #2: Coaches sometimes get over-eager and forget what they aren't allowed to do regarding conferences. I'd be hard-pressed to call USC on the coach in this situation. I would ask the coach to either leave the field or call a timeout, and if he refuses to do either consider USC.
Old Mon Sep 16, 2002, 02:12pm
Official Forum Member

Situation #1 Rules provide for correction of errors before the next live ball. The only appropriate correction would be a rekick from the correct line. Picking the ball up and moving it without a penalty is not an option
Situation #2 Use preventive officiating-remind the coach he is only allowed on the field to attend to an injured player without a charged timeout. Coaches sometime forget, help them with a friendly reminder.
Old Mon Sep 16, 2002, 09:04pm
Official Forum Member

I'm agreement with Bob. In #1, two wrongs certainly don't make a right. You sucked it up and admitted the mistaKe. Drop it.
Old Tue Sep 17, 2002, 01:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob Floyd
Situation #1 Rules provide for correction of errors before the next live ball.
NHFS, NCAA might. Canadian does not. They have rules for inadvertant whistles though. I probably should have clarified that.