The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 20, 2018, 02:33pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Musical Coaches ...

Observed a junior varsity game a few nights ago.

First period, female adult junior varsity "head coach" (no other adults on the bench) is coaching, instructing players, calling plays, requesting timeouts, standing within the coaching box, etc.

Second period, male adult is doing all of the above. Adult female is now sitting quietly on the bench.

I inquired about this at the junior varsity halftime and was told that the adult female was the varsity head coach and that she informed the junior varsity officials that the adult male junior varsity (head) coach would be late due to rush hour traffic problems.

Purpose and intent, I have no problem with this in a junior varsity game. How about a varsity game? Would anybody have a problem with that?

Note: I know that we've discussed co-head coaches here on the Forum, and decided that only one of the pair would be allowed the rights and privileges of the head coach, no switching back and forth.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sat Jan 20, 2018, 05:48pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Observed a junior varsity game a few nights ago.

First period, female adult junior varsity "head coach" (no other adults on the bench) is coaching, instructing players, calling plays, requesting timeouts, standing within the coaching box, etc.

Second period, male adult is doing all of the above. Adult female is now sitting quietly on the bench.

I inquired about this at the junior varsity halftime and was told that the adult female was the varsity head coach and that she informed the junior varsity officials that the adult male junior varsity (head) coach would be late due to rush hour traffic problems.

Purpose and intent, I have no problem with this in a junior varsity game. How about a varsity game? Would anybody have a problem with that?

Note: I know that we've discussed co-head coaches here on the Forum, and decided that only one of the pair would be allowed the rights and privileges of the head coach, no switching back and forth.

The female Varsity HC is the Jr. Varsity HC for the entire JV game.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sat Jan 20, 2018, 06:04pm
Esteemed Forum Member

In A Game That Really Counts ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
The female Varsity HC is the Jr. Varsity HC for the entire JV game.
Probably correct by the black and white rule, but in Connecticut, if she happens to accidentally say the wrong word to the wrong inexperienced junior varsity official at the wrong time in the junior varsity game, she may be out of the junior varsity game that night, the varsity game that night, and the next junior varsity game (not even allowed on the bench). Yeah, I know it's up to her (she's an adult) to stay out of trouble in any game she coaches, but why make her coach if she doesn't want to coach and there's another adult ready to go who should have been there to begin with. Seems to me that purpose and intent should cover the mid-game switch in this specific junior varsity case.

I really want to know about the same situation in a varsity game. Do we make the inexperienced junior varsity coach coach the entire varsity game if the real head coach is a few minutes late? In a game that really counts?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Jan 20, 2018 at 06:14pm.
Old Sat Jan 20, 2018, 08:49pm
Do not give a damn!!

Whoever is standing and acting like a varsity coach at the beginning of the game is going to be treated just like that unless there is some unusual situation or circumstances like the coach has to leave for medical reasons. Otherwise, if you start standing and acting like a HC, I am not going to treat the other person like a HC in the middle of the game. And that is what I am going to do at any level. Unless you have some precedent or policy that says otherwise, that is what I am doing.

Peace
Old Sat Jan 20, 2018, 09:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Whoever is standing and acting like a varsity coach at the beginning of the game is going to be treated just like that unless there is some unusual situation or circumstances like the coach has to leave for medical reasons. Otherwise, if you start standing and acting like a HC, I am not going to treat the other person like a HC in the middle of the game. And that is what I am going to do at any level. Unless you have some precedent or policy that says otherwise, that is what I am doing.

Peace
Well, it's not like they switched or anything, though. She was the acting HC while the actual HC was late or otherwise off-site. Upon arrival, he assumed his normal duties. I wouldn't even think twice about it in a JV game. In baseball, this is explicitly allowed by rule but seems reasonable here as well.
Old Sat Jan 20, 2018, 09:37pm
Administrator

I am sorry, but there are no Acting HCs. I do not care if this a JV game, a Varsity should know how to conduct him/herself as HC.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sun Jan 21, 2018, 12:49am
Official Forum Member

If the real head coach is running late to the game I am not penalizing him when he gets there by not allowing him to take over as the head coach. That is not the intent of the rule.

However, any bench Ts assessed prior to his arrival will be indirect to him and he will be sitting.
Old Sun Jan 21, 2018, 01:22am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
I am sorry, but there are no Acting HCs. I do not care if this a JV game, a Varsity should know how to conduct him/herself as HC.

MTD, Sr.
I agree.

Peace
Old Sun Jan 21, 2018, 09:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
If the real head coach is running late to the game I am not penalizing him when he gets there by not allowing him to take over as the head coach. That is not the intent of the rule.

However, any bench Ts assessed prior to his arrival will be indirect to him and he will be sitting.
I, too, would tend to allow this.
Old Sun Jan 21, 2018, 10:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

MTD, Sr.
I'll be honest, I don't understand this comment. I didn't read in the OP that the varsity HC acted improperly or was unsportsmanlike or anything. She just performed normal HC duties since the actual HC wasn't there yet. Upon his arrival, he assumed his duties and she properly became a silent assistant. I mean, if the HC was there but just let her run the show till he decided to speak up, I'm with you, but he physically wasn't even there.
Old Sun Jan 21, 2018, 10:50am
Esteemed Forum Member

Double Your Pleasure, Double Your Fun ...

Quote:
I do not care if this a JV game, a Varsity should know how to conduct him/herself as HC.
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrounge View Post
I'll be honest, I don't understand this comment. I didn't read in the OP that the varsity HC acted improperly or was unsportsmanlike or anything.
Don't shoot the messenger. As much as I hate defending Mark T. DeNucci, Sr., it was my fault, inserting some extraneous information about how acting as head coach in two games that night could double her exposure to the chance of getting ejected from the game, which carries a great penalty here in Connecticut.

Quote:
... in Connecticut, if she happens to accidentally say the wrong word to the wrong inexperienced junior varsity official at the wrong time in the junior varsity game, she may be out of the junior varsity game that night, the varsity game that night, and the next junior varsity game (not even allowed on the bench). Yeah, I know it's up to her (she's an adult) to stay out of trouble in any game she coaches ...
Note: For the record, the varsity head coach was extremely well behaved during the five periods that she "coached" that night.

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Jan 21, 2018 at 12:04pm.
Old Sun Jan 21, 2018, 12:09pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

Quote:
Don't shoot the messenger. As much as I hate defending Mark T. DeNucci, Sr., it was my fault, inserting some extraneous information about how acting as head coach in two games that night could double her exposure to the chance of getting ejected from the game, which carries a great penalty here in Connecticut.
ah, gotcha...yea, i got that mixed and was thinking of the OP, agree with you and Mark on that one.

Haven't really ran across it in basketball but had a handful of times in baseball (summer, not school) where the nominal HC isn't really the HC, but he was the guy at the plate meeting. Last summer, 3B coach doesn't like a call and begins to come down when I said "coach, return to your box, if the head coach has a question, I'll discuss with him". He says "I AM the head coach". I took particular pleasure in answering back "You weren't at the plate meeting, sir, so not for this game you're not". He stopped, recognizing I had him on that, but I could tell he was absolutely fuming inside as his hapless assistant/nominal HC came out to get the explanation. Which pleased me to no end.
Old Sun Jan 21, 2018, 12:29pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Peanuts And Cracker Jack ...

Quote:
... handful of times in baseball where the nominal HC isn't really the HC, but he was the guy at the plate meeting. Last summer, 3B coach doesn't like a call and begins to come down when I said "coach, return to your box, if the head coach has a question, I'll discuss with him". He says "I AM the head coach". I took particular pleasure in answering back "You weren't at the plate meeting, sir, so not for this game you're not".
Quote:
I mean, if the HC was there but just let her run the show till he decided to speak up, I'm with you, but he physically wasn't even there.
Were both baseball coaches physically present at the site when the plate meeting was held? My original post involved a situation in which one of the basketball coaches was late to the site due to rush hour traffic problems.

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Jan 21, 2018 at 12:32pm.
Old Sun Jan 21, 2018, 12:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Were both baseball coaches physically present at the site when the plate meeting was held? My original post involved a situation in which one of the basketball coaches was late to the site due to rush hour traffic problems.
Yea, they were both there, i was just throwing that out as an example when the HC is acting as an asst and behaves like he thinks he's still HC. Now I'm muddying the waters!
Old Sun Jan 21, 2018, 12:57pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Relevant ...

Quote:
Now I'm muddying the waters!
Not really. Here on the Forum we have discussed co-head coaches in a basketball game, and decided that only one of the pair would be allowed the rights and privileges of the head coach, no switching back and forth during the game. I believe that any Forum discussion regarding this implied that both were physically at the site.

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Jan 21, 2018 at 01:34pm.