The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 04, 2018, 06:56pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
And So It Begins........

Lost my first game tomorrow (and it was a good one) due to freezing temps, not snow, as the schools are closed again tomorrow. Can't remember the last time I lost a game due to low temps. My games on Saturday are probably in jeopardy too as it's supposed to be bitter cold and windy here.

Do you guys in the north and mid-west have these issues?

I pity all you assignors out there and have to re-schedule all these games, but know that's why you make the big $$$$!

Good luck everyone, stay safe.
Old Thu Jan 04, 2018, 07:00pm
This IS My Social Life

S'no Problem Here

Western Michigan coastline across from Rut . . . lake effect snow . . . and snow . . . and snow . . . and more snow. Ugh.
Old Thu Jan 04, 2018, 07:03pm
Do not give a damn!!

I have not lost a game yet and we have not gotten any snow in the last few days.

Peace
Old Thu Jan 04, 2018, 07:08pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Uphill, Both Ways ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
Lost my first game tomorrow due to freezing temps, not snow, as the schools are closed
Schools here in Connecticut started doing this about two winters ago, no snow, just cold.

And to think, back when I went to school, I walked to school in five feet of snow, in subfreezing temperatures, uphill, both ways.

Seriously, when I pass kids at the bus stop (those that aren't driven to school every morning) on my way to work in the morning, they're dressed in hoodies, and sneakers, in all weather, even on the coldest winter days.

Why can’t they be like we were, perfect in every way? What’s the matter with kids today?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Jan 04, 2018 at 07:14pm.
Old Thu Jan 04, 2018, 07:30pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Schools here in Connecticut started doing this about two winters ago, no snow, just cold.
I don't remember it growing up in Pa either. It hasn't been this cold for this extended period of time in Va before - that I can recall anyway.
Old Thu Jan 04, 2018, 07:47pm
Official Forum Member

In South Carolina games along the coast and in the Midlands have been getting canceled/postponed this week.

Generally it’s the Upstate that gets hit hardest with the snow (and that was the case when the state had a storm in early December). But oddly it’s that area of the state that’s in the clear this time around.
Old Thu Jan 04, 2018, 07:53pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Thumbs up

Here in Portland (the one in Oregon) it gets as cold as the mid-40s in the winter! And, oh yeah, it almost never snows. We usually get winters having maybe two days of snow with no day getting more that 1/2 inch.

It's just a little bit different here than where I grew up - Chicago!
Old Thu Jan 04, 2018, 10:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

And to think, back when I went to school, I walked to school in five feet of snow, in subfreezing temperatures, uphill, both ways.

Seriously, when I pass kids at the bus stop (those that aren't driven to school every morning) on my way to work in the morning, they're dressed in hoodies, and sneakers, in all weather, even on the coldest winter days.

Why can’t they be like we were, perfect in every way? What’s the matter with kids today?
Billy,

Didn't your shoes have holes in them ??? For lunch you had two pieces of bread with nothing between them ???
But I bet you had a new belt....
Old Fri Jan 05, 2018, 12:19am
Official Forum Member

I've never had a game canceled for cold weather in Missouri, only snow or ice. It has been very cold here the last couple of weeks. Lows below zero and highs in the single digits and games went on.
Old Fri Jan 05, 2018, 12:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I recall a few days growing up in WI (a cold snap in Feb 1994 is particularly memorable) where if you could throw up hot water and flash it to steam before it hit the ground, then maybe school would close. Takes lower than -20F to do that. Other than that, layer up and go to school. That’s what we’ve been doing here all week. No games lost.

Loved the Bye Bye Birdie reference! I played that role (the Dad) in high school.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Fri Jan 05, 2018, 06:29am
Esteemed Forum Member

Barefoot ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multiple Sports View Post
Didn't your shoes have holes in them ???
Shoes? Only the rich kids had shoes. I walked to school barefoot every day.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Fri Jan 05, 2018 at 06:32am.
Old Fri Jan 05, 2018, 06:31am
Esteemed Forum Member

Oldie But Goodie ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
Loved the Bye Bye Birdie reference! I played that role (the Dad) in high school.
I honestly didn't think that a single Forum member would identify that song lyric.

Old Fri Jan 05, 2018, 09:58am
TODO: creative title here

Currently -8 here in Minneapolis, with a forecast high of 4. Not even the slightest thought of postponing any games.

Precipitation will cause postponements, especially outside the metro area. But it takes a fair amount of snow (6+ inches) to think about doing so, or high winds combined with snow (white-out conditions are basically impossible to drive in). Freezing rain, however, is the worst... it can go from "the road is wet" to "the road is impossible to drive because it's ice-covered" in about 3 minutes.

I'm actually annoyed with the weather this winter. Not the cold so much, I'm mainly annoyed by the LACK of snow... we've only got an inch or two on the ground at the moment. I haven't even had the chance to use my snowblower yet, and I want to take my kid sledding.
Old Fri Jan 05, 2018, 10:19am
Official Forum Member

Usually if it's negative 30 or below with the wind chill, they will cancel here. Luckily, it warmed up to negative 10 with the wind chill the day the kids came back from break so we didn't have any cancellations.
Old Fri Jan 05, 2018, 01:09pm
Official Forum Member

Are games in Florida being cancelled since temps are in the 40's? I can hear the entire state crying as I type this.