The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   And So It Begins........ (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/103318-so-begins.html)

grunewar Thu Jan 04, 2018 06:56pm

And So It Begins........

Lost my first game tomorrow (and it was a good one) due to freezing temps, not snow, as the schools are closed again tomorrow. Can't remember the last time I lost a game due to low temps. My games on Saturday are probably in jeopardy too as it's supposed to be bitter cold and windy here. :(

Do you guys in the north and mid-west have these issues?

I pity all you assignors out there and have to re-schedule all these games, but know that's why you make the big $$$$!

Good luck everyone, stay safe.

Freddy Thu Jan 04, 2018 07:00pm

S'no Problem Here

Western Michigan coastline across from Rut . . . lake effect snow . . . and snow . . . and snow . . . and more snow. Ugh.

JRutledge Thu Jan 04, 2018 07:03pm

I have not lost a game yet and we have not gotten any snow in the last few days.

Peace

BillyMac Thu Jan 04, 2018 07:08pm

Uphill, Both Ways ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by grunewar (Post 1014145)
Lost my first game tomorrow due to freezing temps, not snow, as the schools are closed

Schools here in Connecticut started doing this about two winters ago, no snow, just cold.

And to think, back when I went to school, I walked to school in five feet of snow, in subfreezing temperatures, uphill, both ways.

Seriously, when I pass kids at the bus stop (those that aren't driven to school every morning) on my way to work in the morning, they're dressed in hoodies, and sneakers, in all weather, even on the coldest winter days.

Why can’t they be like we were, perfect in every way? What’s the matter with kids today?

grunewar Thu Jan 04, 2018 07:30pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 1014148)
Schools here in Connecticut started doing this about two winters ago, no snow, just cold.

I don't remember it growing up in Pa either. It hasn't been this cold for this extended period of time in Va before - that I can recall anyway.

SC Official Thu Jan 04, 2018 07:47pm

In South Carolina games along the coast and in the Midlands have been getting canceled/postponed this week.

Generally it’s the Upstate that gets hit hardest with the snow (and that was the case when the state had a storm in early December). But oddly it’s that area of the state that’s in the clear this time around.

Mark Padgett Thu Jan 04, 2018 07:53pm

Here in Portland (the one in Oregon) it gets as cold as the mid-40s in the winter! And, oh yeah, it almost never snows. We usually get winters having maybe two days of snow with no day getting more that 1/2 inch.

It's just a little bit different here than where I grew up - Chicago!

Multiple Sports Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:32pm

Quote:

And to think, back when I went to school, I walked to school in five feet of snow, in subfreezing temperatures, uphill, both ways.

Seriously, when I pass kids at the bus stop (those that aren't driven to school every morning) on my way to work in the morning, they're dressed in hoodies, and sneakers, in all weather, even on the coldest winter days.

Why can’t they be like we were, perfect in every way? What’s the matter with kids today?

Billy,

Didn't your shoes have holes in them ??? For lunch you had two pieces of bread with nothing between them ???
But I bet you had a new belt....

zm1283 Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:19am

I've never had a game canceled for cold weather in Missouri, only snow or ice. It has been very cold here the last couple of weeks. Lows below zero and highs in the single digits and games went on.

crosscountry55 Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:31am

Quote:

I recall a few days growing up in WI (a cold snap in Feb 1994 is particularly memorable) where if you could throw up hot water and flash it to steam before it hit the ground, then maybe school would close. Takes lower than -20F to do that. Other than that, layer up and go to school. That’s what we’ve been doing here all week. No games lost.

Loved the Bye Bye Birdie reference! I played that role (the Dad) in high school.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BillyMac Fri Jan 05, 2018 06:29am

Barefoot ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Multiple Sports (Post 1014159)
Didn't your shoes have holes in them ???

Shoes? Only the rich kids had shoes. I walked to school barefoot every day.

BillyMac Fri Jan 05, 2018 06:31am

Oldie But Goodie ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by crosscountry55 (Post 1014169)
Loved the Bye Bye Birdie reference! I played that role (the Dad) in high school.

I honestly didn't think that a single Forum member would identify that song lyric.

jTheUmp Fri Jan 05, 2018 09:58am

Currently -8 here in Minneapolis, with a forecast high of 4. Not even the slightest thought of postponing any games.

Precipitation will cause postponements, especially outside the metro area. But it takes a fair amount of snow (6+ inches) to think about doing so, or high winds combined with snow (white-out conditions are basically impossible to drive in). Freezing rain, however, is the worst... it can go from "the road is wet" to "the road is impossible to drive because it's ice-covered" in about 3 minutes.

I'm actually annoyed with the weather this winter. Not the cold so much, I'm mainly annoyed by the LACK of snow... we've only got an inch or two on the ground at the moment. I haven't even had the chance to use my snowblower yet, and I want to take my kid sledding.

UNIgiantslayers Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:19am

Usually if it's negative 30 or below with the wind chill, they will cancel here. Luckily, it warmed up to negative 10 with the wind chill the day the kids came back from break so we didn't have any cancellations.

#olderthanilook Fri Jan 05, 2018 01:09pm

Are games in Florida being cancelled since temps are in the 40's? I can hear the entire state crying as I type this.