The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 04, 2018, 08:41am
Official Forum Member

I don't want to raise again the question of old interpretations, but is that 2004-2005 case the only authority for this?
Old Thu Jan 04, 2018, 04:01pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Oldie But Goodie ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRZ View Post
I don't want to raise again the question of old interpretations, but is that 2004-2005 case the only authority for this?
2004-05 Casebook: 10.6.1 SITUATION E: B1 attempts to steal the ball from stationary A1 who is holding the ball. B1 misses the ball and falls to the floor. In dribbling away, A1 contacts B1's leg, loses control of the ball and falls to the floor. RULING: No infraction or foul has occurred and play continues. Unless B1 made an effort to trip or block A1, he/she is entitled to a position on the court even if it is momentarily lying on the floor after falling down.

Has there been a rule change since 2004-05 that would invalidate this interpretation? How about any citations in existing rules, or caseplays, that would invalidate this interpretation?

There's a difference between being tripped, and tripping.

If it's not illegal, it's legal.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Thu Jan 04, 2018, 04:08pm
Official Forum Member

Billy, please read what I wrote in its entirety and don't go looking for an argument. I was not--I repeat, NOT--debating the precedential value of the case. I was simply asking if there was anything new that I might have overlooked.
Old Thu Jan 04, 2018, 04:10pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Entitled To A Spot On The Playing Court ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRZ View Post
I was simply asking if there was anything new that I might have overlooked.
It's not new, but ...

4-23-1: Every player is entitled to a spot on the playing court provided such player gets there first without illegally contacting an opponent.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Jan 04, 2018 at 04:14pm.
Old Thu Jan 04, 2018, 05:36pm
Back from the DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
2004-05 Casebook: 10.6.1 SITUATION E: B1 attempts to steal the ball from stationary A1 who is holding the ball. B1 misses the ball and falls to the floor. In dribbling away, A1 contacts B1's leg, loses control of the ball and falls to the floor. RULING: No infraction or foul has occurred and play continues. Unless B1 made an effort to trip or block A1, he/she is entitled to a position on the court even if it is momentarily lying on the floor after falling down.

Has there been a rule change since 2004-05 that would invalidate this interpretation?
I'm going strictly off memory here, but I seem to recall something that reversed that old interpretation, stating lying on the floor is not part of the game and therefore not an entitled spot. I'm not betting the house on it, though.
Old Thu Jan 04, 2018, 06:49pm
Esteemed Forum Member

House ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
... something that reversed that old interpretation, stating lying on the floor is not part of the game and therefore not an entitled spot.
Could you be confusing the NFHS interpretation with the (contrary) NCAA interpretation?

Old Thu Jan 11, 2018, 01:26pm
Official Forum Member

We've been down this road before

https://forum.officiating.com/basket...tml#post877832
Old Thu Jan 11, 2018, 02:15pm
Official Forum Member

What if the pivot foot (accidentally) landed on the player who was laying on the floor prior to release of the pass (basically if the offensive player stepped on the defender)? Would anyone interpret this to be a travel as well?
Old Thu Jan 11, 2018, 02:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokiePaul View Post
What if the pivot foot (accidentally) landed on the player who was laying on the floor prior to release of the pass (basically if the offensive player stepped on the defender)? Would anyone interpret this to be a travel as well?
NFHS - Rule 4 Section 44 Article 3 a,b - indicate "returned to the floor". Perhaps "some body" needs to be added to the text.