The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 29, 2017, 11:53am
Official Forum Member

Foul during shot

From the same game as the shot clock scenario (a varsity HS tournament game, with non-exceptional officiating from my parent view in the stands).

White is in the bonus. Big men are pushing and slapping a bit. Red shoots a three. Whistle blows, foul on red center off the ball. Refs count the basket and give the ball to white.

Isn’t that wrong. Doesn’t it have to either be a team control foul that wipes the basket (foul before the shot), or not a team control foul and they shoot the bonus feee throws (while shot in the air before it passes through)?
Old Fri Dec 29, 2017, 12:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by so cal lurker View Post
From the same game as the shot clock scenario (a varsity HS tournament game, with non-exceptional officiating from my parent view in the stands).

White is in the bonus. Big men are pushing and slapping a bit. Red shoots a three. Whistle blows, foul on red center off the ball. Refs count the basket and give the ball to white.

Isn’t that wrong. Doesn’t it have to either be a team control foul that wipes the basket (foul before the shot), or not a team control foul and they shoot the bonus feee throws (while shot in the air before it passes through)?
As described, yes.
Old Fri Dec 29, 2017, 12:05pm
Do not give a damn!!

The only thing I am reading that could be wrong is if the white team was not given an opportunity to shoot the bonus for the foul. Without seeing the play and knowing when the foul was called, that would not be a TC foul if the ball was released by the shooter.

Peace
Old Fri Dec 29, 2017, 12:09pm
Official Forum Member

Should have gone to the other end to shoot bonus. The officials either didn't know the rule or simply forgot that the bonus applied and was in effect in that situation.

Probably the latter. Almost happened to me just last night. Called a foul on the defense for chucking a cutter while a try was in flight. Counted the basket and reported the foul, but then pointed to an OOB spot. The offended coach and a partner reminded me at about the same time that we were in the bonus. To be entirely truthful, I had no idea who the shooter was at that point. Luckily my partners had my back.