The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 21, 2017, 07:32pm
Ok is the new good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
I'm not sure how it gives a HS coach something more to complain about. Since we go tableside in HS, I am closer to the benches when I report and they are more likely to hear my verbal description of the foul. It's a tool to eliminate potential questions about what his player did.
Agree 100%..been my experience as well..cuts down on questions.
Old Thu Dec 21, 2017, 10:49pm
Official Forum Member

Wow, thanks for the numerous, prompt replies. I'll try no verbalization, and extensive verbalization, and see what I like better.

I got in that habit my first season when I heard one of our official trainers talk about how there are only five fouls and you've got to choose one of them, but yeah, I like all your explanations.

Thanks!
Old Fri Dec 22, 2017, 08:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcmzueck View Post
Wow, thanks for the numerous, prompt replies. I'll try no verbalization, and extensive verbalization, and see what I like better.
Or, verbalize / add only when there's a need. Most of the time, it's pretty obvious what you called.
Old Fri Dec 22, 2017, 08:56am
Official Forum Member

Some refs use a simple verb (eg, "hits") and a mimetic gesture showing where/how the foul occurred (eg, tapping their head).
Old Fri Dec 22, 2017, 12:17pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
Often I'll say what they actually did--"hits his elbow", "grabbed his arm", "hit to the face", etc.

That is frowned upon by some, but it works for me.
When I started I was taught to say "Hit" at the table but the last couple of years, I have gone to this. I like it better and it is more descriptive. I've even gone off the reservation a couple of times - gasp - and done the "hit to the head" unofficial signal.

Of course I was also taught to provide a full verbal report of the foul with preliminary signal at the spot of the foul before going to the table and I definitely don't do that anymore either.

While this isn't by the book, I have never received feedback that it was unclear what I was calling.