Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Dec 16, 2017, 06:20pm
Do not give a damn!!

Basket Interference play (Video)

Peace
Old Sun Dec 17, 2017, 12:54pm
Official Forum Member

Yes, Basket Interference. Part of the ball was still in the cylinder. The ball is also in contact with the rim at the same time. So, it is BI two ways.
Old Sun Dec 17, 2017, 02:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Yes, Basket Interference. Part of the ball was still in the cylinder. The ball is also in contact with the rim at the same time. So, it is BI two ways.
So you'd take away 4 points?

(Sorry, just trying to ask before BM can).

And, on the play, it looks to me like Gold is touching the ball at the same time -- simultaneous violation.

Maybe they didn't want to call that because they didn't know how to administer it.
Old Sun Dec 17, 2017, 04:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
So you'd take away 4 points?

(Sorry, just trying to ask before BM can).

And, on the play, it looks to me like Gold is touching the ball at the same time -- simultaneous violation.

Maybe they didn't want to call that because they didn't know how to administer it.
I think I'd just call traveling. That way, everyone would be so puzzled we'd be onto the next play before they could gather enough thoughts to question it!
Old Sun Dec 17, 2017, 05:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I think I'd just call traveling. That way, everyone would be so puzzled we'd be onto the next play before they could gather enough thoughts to question it!
Traveling is the standard default call -- I heard so at a highly-rated camp featuring many top-notch college and NBA officials.
Old Sun Dec 17, 2017, 06:58pm
Esteemed Forum Member

You Can Look It Up ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
If there is a violation by both teams, play shall be resumed by the team
entitled to the alternating-possession throw-in at the out-of-bounds spot
nearest to where the simultaneous violations occurred.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Mon Dec 18, 2017, 03:54pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
If the ball is in contact with the side of the ring, but not in the cylinder at all, is that still BI?
Old Mon Dec 18, 2017, 05:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1 View Post
If the ball is in contact with the side of the ring, but not in the cylinder at all, is that still BI?
Not if it is merely in contact, but unless it is more than about halfway below the rim, being in contact with the rim will mean part of the ball is still within the cylinder.
Old Mon Dec 18, 2017, 10:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Not if it is merely in contact, but unless it is more than about halfway below the rim, being in contact with the rim will mean part of the ball is still within the cylinder.
And, part of the ball is below the base of the cylinder. Basket interference situations involving the cylinder have two requirements: The ball must be in or partially within the cylinder and be above the basket. See any caseplay. It is to be understood the cylinder is only above the basket. So, when the case plays say "in the cylinder above the basket" they are talking about the ball not the cylinder (since there is no such thing as the cylinder below the basket). In the video, while part of the ball is in the cylinder, a portion of the ball is below the lower base of the cylinder so it cannot be said the ball is above the basket.

Last edited by billyu2; Mon Dec 18, 2017 at 10:46pm.
Old Tue Dec 19, 2017, 03:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyu2 View Post
And, part of the ball is below the base of the cylinder. Basket interference situations involving the cylinder have two requirements: The ball must be in or partially within the cylinder and be above the basket. See any caseplay. It is to be understood the cylinder is only above the basket. So, when the case plays say "in the cylinder above the basket" they are talking about the ball not the cylinder (since there is no such thing as the cylinder below the basket). In the video, while part of the ball is in the cylinder, a portion of the ball is below the lower base of the cylinder so it cannot be said the ball is above the basket.
What you say is true for goaltending, however, it is not for basket interference.

The rules:

Quote:
Basket interference occurs when a player: Art 2....Touches the ball while any part of the ball is within the imaginary cylinder which has the basket ring as its lower base.
It says absolutely nothing about the ball having to be above the rim. Over half of it must be for some of the ball to be in the cylinder (basic geometry), but that is all that is necessary.

Goaltending, on the other hand, does require the ball to be entirely above the rim....

Quote:
Goaltending occurs when a player touches the ball during a field-goal try or tap while it is in its downward flight entirely above the basket ring level and has the possibility of entering the basket in flight, or an opponent of the free thrower touches the ball outside the cylinder during a freethrow attempt.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Tue Dec 19, 2017 at 03:28am.
Old Tue Dec 19, 2017, 04:00pm
Official Forum Member

After seeing the video, I checked all the case plays and illustrations I could find and every one (except one) always described or showed the ball being on or above the rim in cylinder-type violations. I guess that lead me to the conclusion the entire ball had to be above the lower base of the cylinder. The exception came from an old NFHS simplified and illustrated book showing the ball (not touching the cylinder but slightly below the rim) being legally blocked. The final comment did say if the touching had occurred with the ball in or touching the cylinder, it would have been basket interference. So thanks, Camron, for your input and thanks to JRut for posting all these great highlights. They are really tremendous!