The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Dec 16, 2017, 03:26pm
Official Forum Member

10-4-2

This rule says...

A player shall not purposely and/or deceitfully delay returning after legally being out of bounds.

Has anyone called this technical before? What happened?

Saw a couple plays (really the same thing a couple different times) and wondering if it would fall under this rule.
Old Sat Dec 16, 2017, 03:32pm
Do not give a damn!!

Yes. I had a player run all the way out of bounds after they made a throw-in. BTW, the player, in that case, was warned several times and did it anyway the way I recall it. The only time it needed to be called. Usually, I just tell the player, "Get on the court" and they do.

Peace
Old Sat Dec 16, 2017, 04:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Yes. I had a player run all the way out of bounds after they made a throw-in. BTW, the player, in that case, was warned several times and did it anyway the way I recall it. The only time it needed to be called. Usually, I just tell the player, "Get on the court" and they do.

Peace
Like all the way down the sideline? End line?
Old Sat Dec 16, 2017, 04:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bas2456 View Post
This actually happened in my game last night. 6 ft out of bounds and was first to catch ball after returning. Violation. It was during a play not a delay following a throw in. 1st time ever calling it 10 yrs in.
Old Sat Dec 16, 2017, 05:21pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alabama_ref View Post
This actually happened in my game last night. 6 ft out of bounds and was first to catch ball after returning. Violation. It was during a play not a delay following a throw in. 1st time ever calling it 10 yrs in.

First to catch the ball is not a factor.

Lonesome Dove
Old Sat Dec 16, 2017, 06:09pm
I got a Basketball Jones!

Quote:
Rules reference, if you please...
Sincerely hope you refrain from making that call the rest of your career.

BTW, welcome to the forum. You will benefit greatly from current threads and the more than 10 years of archives.

Last edited by justacoach; Sat Dec 16, 2017 at 06:12pm.
Old Sat Dec 16, 2017, 06:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justacoach View Post
Rules reference, if you please...
Sincerely hope you refrain from making that call the rest of your career.

BTW, welcome to the forum. You will benefit greatly from current threads and the more than 10 years of archives.
Y'all are correct on not having be the first to touch. However the player was clearly gaining an advantage by avoiding the defense. I was merely stating first to touch because had it been a few passes before he got the ball I would not have made the call (because at that point I don't feel as he would of gained an advantage and would have been a mere "play on". And yes I hope to never have to make that call ever again.
Old Sat Dec 16, 2017, 06:37pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Almost Knocked Me Over ...

Quote:
... the player was clearly gaining an advantage by avoiding the defense.
A few years ago (maybe it was a few decades ago) I had an offensive player run out of bounds around a screen, and he almost ran me over as the lead official. It surprised me, and I let it go, but vowed to call the violation the next time he did it. After a switch after a foul, my partner was now the lead on the same endline and made the call without me telling him anything about the situation.

Quote:
I hope to never have to make that call ever again.
That's the closest I've come to making this call. If I see it again, I will call it.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Apr 02, 2019 at 01:14pm.
Old Sat Dec 16, 2017, 06:57pm
I got a Basketball Jones!

Quote:
Y'all are correct on not having be the first to touch. However the player was clearly gaining an advantage by avoiding the defense. I was merely stating first to touch because had it been a few passes before he got the ball I would not have made the call (because at that point I don't feel as he would of gained an advantage and would have been a mere "play on". And yes I hope to never have to make that call ever again.
You'll learn to parse your words correctly with this crowd
Lots of sharp cookies here.

Agree, this sitch does require a solid understanding of advantage gained. That was a major point when this action changed from violation to a T several years back.
Old Sat Dec 16, 2017, 06:59pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
The end line.

Peace
Old Sat Dec 16, 2017, 11:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Has anyone called this technical before? What happened?
Sure. The scenario actually happens all the time. The classic end-line throw-in where the thrower in waits out of bounds while a screen is being set for him, then pops inbounds out to the corner for an open 3.

You tell the player to "come inbounds, come inbounds, come inbounds," they usually do, and you have nothing.

If the player ignores that plea, delays returning and the play "works," you call the T. I've done it ... maybe twice in my career.

I've also called it just a violation, (which is not the rule, of course), maybe twice as well, and when the player or coach bitches, I explain, "It's actually a technical, so you're welcome."

Making the call is rare, but the scenario and play are not rare at all.
Old Sun Dec 17, 2017, 04:10am
This IS My Social Life

An Example

Purposeful Delay in Returning to the Court

Saw something more purposeful observing several middle school games a couple of years ago. A1 throw-in to A2. Coach A yells, "Not yet. Not yet. Not yet. Not yet." A1 stands OOB as directed. Finally, as all the defenders migrate toward the player with the ball now at the top of the key, he yells, "Now!" A1 steps inbounds, alone and unguarded, for an easy pass from A2 and an easy, unchallenged score.

Lack of knowledge of the rule led to no call being made each time I saw it. Maybe three times in three different games.

Last edited by Freddy; Sun Dec 17, 2017 at 04:15am.
Old Sun Dec 17, 2017, 06:38am
Esteemed Forum Member

Violation ???

Quote:
... this action changed from violation to a T several years back.
I was about to comment on this (above) but wasn't 100% sure. Thanks for the reminder. Anybody remember when this occurred?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Sun Dec 17, 2017, 09:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You'll learn to parse your words correctly with this crowd
Lots of sharp cookies here.

Agree, this sitch does require a solid understanding of advantage gained. That was a major point when this action changed from violation to a T several years back.
I'm a little confused. Are you saying my situation should have been a technical? All rules references I find regarding my situation states a violation.
Old Sun Dec 17, 2017, 10:21am
Esteemed Forum Member

Fork In The Road ...

Quote:
I'm a little confused.
Somewhere along the line this thread split into two different situations: an inbounder staying out of bounds, and a player on the court intentionally moving out of bounds.

An inbounder (actually any player legally out of bounds) purposely staying out of bounds to deceive the opponent team is a technical foul.

A player shall not: Purposely and/or deceitfully delay returning after legally being out of bounds.

A player on the court gaining an advantage by moving out of bounds is a violation.

A player shall not leave the court for an unauthorized reason.

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Dec 17, 2017 at 10:25am.