The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Nov 28, 2017, 06:18pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by so cal lurker View Post
I've never understood why that isn't considered a dribble. But it isn't.

And then, to me, it gets metaphysical. If it bounces, it's a dribble, right? And is it possible to put down the ball without some bounce? So how much bounce before it becomes a dribble instead of a travel?
The key word here is "put." In the case above the player is said to "put" the ball on the floor. In the start of a dribble the player is said to "push the ball to the floor." This indicates a bounce.

Lonesome Dove
Old Tue Nov 28, 2017, 08:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

And then, to me, it gets metaphysical. If it bounces, it's a dribble, right? And is it possible to put down the ball without some bounce? So how much bounce before it becomes a dribble instead of a travel?
Probably because it would be a little more difficult to control it in the form of a dribble and just putting the ball down on the floor. As a dribble, it has some greater change of getting away from the player.
Old Wed Nov 29, 2017, 04:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post
You can count on a couple wrong answers on the NFHS test every year. Not sure if it is poor proofreading on their part or what, but there are almost always at least 2 that the "answer key" has wrong. If that gets us into our rule and case books more deeply, so be it.
I always thought that it was to show who the cheaters are. The people who get a copy of the answer key will get 100% while clearly answering those two or three questions incorrectly. Nearly everyone else in the group who reads and answers the questions with their own mind will have those questions scored as incorrect, but the test-giver will know that they really know the rule and didn't cheat.
Old Wed Nov 29, 2017, 09:54am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
I always thought that it was to show who the cheaters are. The people who get a copy of the answer key will get 100% while clearly answering those two or three questions incorrectly. Nearly everyone else in the group who reads and answers the questions with their own mind will have those questions scored as incorrect, but the test-giver will know that they really know the rule and didn't cheat.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's it.
Old Wed Nov 29, 2017, 11:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Any of you cheaters who read this, make sure you get a few wrong so you don't bring attention to yourself.
Old Wed Nov 29, 2017, 12:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJP View Post
Any of you cheaters who read this, make sure you get a few wrong so you don't bring attention to yourself.
If it were true, it wouldn't be about getting a couple of random questions wrong. It would be a couple of very specific questions that no one should get wrong. Sort of the "control" in the experiment.

That said, I doubt the NFHS is doing that.
Old Wed Nov 29, 2017, 12:30pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Interesting thought...I used to send messages to the NFHS asking for clarification on some of those "wrong" answers. Most of the time they would admit the mistake. Then Washington started using their own tests and not the NFHS one. So I didn't care anymore.
Old Wed Nov 29, 2017, 03:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
If it were true, it wouldn't be about getting a couple of random questions wrong. It would be a couple of very specific questions that no one should get wrong. Sort of the "control" in the experiment.

That said, I doubt the NFHS is doing that.
I was joking. The whole idea is stupid.
Old Wed Nov 29, 2017, 11:40pm
NFHS Official

Quote:

This was my thought as well....Seems it would be an illegal dribble and not traveling...
Old Thu Nov 30, 2017, 12:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKREF View Post
This was my thought as well....Seems it would be an illegal dribble and not traveling...
I say just make it legal.
Old Thu Nov 30, 2017, 04:49am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post
You can count on a couple wrong answers on the NFHS test every year. Not sure if it is poor proofreading on their part or what, but there are almost always at least 2 that the "answer key" has wrong. If that gets us into our rule and case books more deeply, so be it.
I'm using that as the reason I've never gotten a perfect score! Thanks.
Old Thu Nov 30, 2017, 07:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky View Post
I say just make it legal.
Could we make it legal in one state first. Lets say Colorado . . . then we can see how it works there

Me: Thanks, but why the big rush.

Coach: Oh I thought you must have a big date . . .we're not the only ones your planning on F$%&ing tonite are we!