The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Nov 28, 2017, 02:49pm
Official Forum Member

30 second time out

During a 30 second time out, bench personnel are allowed to stand and participate, correct? The 5 players and the head coach are not the only ones allowed to be in this time out huddle, correct?
Old Tue Nov 28, 2017, 03:00pm
Official Forum Member

The players must indeed remain standing. I don't believe there's any rule that says bench personnel must remain seated.
Old Tue Nov 28, 2017, 03:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd66 View Post
During a 30 second time out, bench personnel are allowed to stand and participate, correct? The 5 players and the head coach are not the only ones allowed to be in this time out huddle, correct?
Yes
Old Tue Nov 28, 2017, 03:50pm
Official Forum Member

I was told that since rule 5-11-3 states that "players" must remain standing and that bench personnel are not players then bench personnel are not allowed to stand in the time out huddle on a 30. They and all assistant coaches must remain seated and not participate in the time out. Has anyone else ever heard this or enforce it this way?
Old Tue Nov 28, 2017, 03:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I was told that since rule 5-11-3 states that "players" must remain standing and that bench personnel are not players then bench personnel are not allowed to stand in the time out huddle on a 30. They and all assistant coaches must remain seated and not participate in the time out. Has anyone else ever heard this or enforce it this way?
What you were told is incorrect. There was an NFHS clarification a few years ago which addressed this point and stated that all team members and coaches could stand and participate in the time-out as instruction and information relevant to all of them is being provided during this time.
Also, the rule requiring bench personnel to be seated during the game is not in force during time-outs and intermissions.
Old Tue Nov 28, 2017, 04:00pm
Official Forum Member

That is what I told the official. He was adamant about the fact that he was right. I asked him if he was right then why was no one doing it that way and why had the state or federation not made it a POE to do it his way. Thanks for letting me know I am not losing my mind
Old Tue Nov 28, 2017, 04:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
In general, if a rule doesn't make something illegal, it is legal.

Since this rule is silent with respect to bench personnel, it has no impact on what they may or may not do. Bench personnel are then only limited to what they are permitted to do in any timeout (30 or 60). And that means they may stand and be in the huddle.

The point about the rule in question is to keep the players ready to return to the court more quickly. That's it.
Old Tue Nov 28, 2017, 04:46pm
Official Forum Member

Agreed. I stated the idea of that unless something is specifically stated as illegal then it was legal. How do you get someone that is so adamant about being right to see the light?
Old Tue Nov 28, 2017, 04:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Agreed. I stated the idea of that unless something is specifically stated as illegal then it was legal. How do you get someone that is so adamant about being right to see the light?
You need to have someone who this individual respects as a rules guru to tell him
Old Tue Nov 28, 2017, 04:57pm
Official Forum Member

We had got an interpretation from the Head Clinician for our state and showed it to him and he said that he was wrong. He is going to contact the state and federation headquarters and tell them they are wrong.
Old Tue Nov 28, 2017, 07:03pm
Official Forum Member

Show him the rule book? If that doesnt work, ask him to write his own.
Old Tue Nov 28, 2017, 07:18pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Let's Go To The Videotape ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNIPERBBB View Post
Show him the rule book ...
Bench personnel, including the head coach, shall not: Stand at the team bench while the clock is running or is stopped, and must remain seated, except: During a charged time-out.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Nov 28, 2017 at 07:23pm.
Old Tue Nov 28, 2017, 07:22pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Mythbusters ...

Quote:
This myth was making its way around my little corner of Connecticut several years ago. Our interpreter put the kibosh on it right away.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Tue Nov 28, 2017, 09:50pm
Official Forum Member

He was shown the rule book. He was shown the interpretation from our State association. He refuses to believe he is wrong. He believes that all of the rest of us are in the wrong. I am done trying to explain it to him. What is even scarier is that he works small college games.
Old Wed Nov 29, 2017, 01:01am
Official Forum Member

Todd,

What part of the country are you in......