The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Test results (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/103175-test-results.html)

just another ref Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:09am

Test results

We got our test results today. I have serious issues with a couple of questions. Perhaps somebody here can point out what I'm missing.

It is possible for a charge to be called on the offensive player while the defensive player is moving.

I put true and it's marked wrong.

???

just another ref Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:11am

And here's the other: A1 dives for a loose ball, gaining possession, and coming to a stop. A1 then releases the ball on the floor, gets up, and picks up the ball. The official signals a traveling violation.

This is true, is it not?

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:22am

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 1011959)
We got our test results today. I have serious issues with a couple of questions. Perhaps somebody here can point out what I'm missing.

It is possible for a charge to be called on the offensive player while the defensive player is moving.

I put true and it's marked wrong.

???

Yes. Once a defensive player has obtained (NFHS) a LGP, he/she may move to maintain it and if there is contact with the player in control of the ball when the contact occurs, the offensive player is responsible for the contact as long as the defensive player is not moving obliquely toward the player with the ball.

I do not have my rules books with me but you will fund the definition of LGP in Rule 4 under Guarding in the NFHS, NCAA Men's, and NCAA Women's Rules Books. The wording will be exactly the same except that the NCAA still uses the word "establish" instead of the word "obtain". The NFHS made the change about 20 years ago. The FIBA definition is also exactly the same (it also uses the word " establish") but I do not remember which Rule it is in in the FUBA Rules Book.

MTD, Sr.

Camron Rust Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:16pm

You are correct on both questions.

OKREF Tue Nov 28, 2017 02:41pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 1011960)
And here's the other: A1 dives for a loose ball, gaining possession, and coming to a stop. A1 then releases the ball on the floor, gets up, and picks up the ball. The official signals a traveling violation.

This is true, is it not?

Don't you have to have possession of the ball for it to be traveling...

bob jenkins Tue Nov 28, 2017 02:56pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by OKREF (Post 1011963)

Yes, with one exception -- and this is it. 4.44.5B

crosscountry55 Tue Nov 28, 2017 02:57pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by OKREF (Post 1011963)

This is the "one exception" to the travelling rule that is often cited on this board.

BEAREF Tue Nov 28, 2017 03:38pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 1011965)
Yes, with one exception -- and this is it. 4.44.5B

Here's rule 4.44.5B

ART. 5

Traveling is moving a foot or feet in any direction in excess of prescribed limits while holding the ball. The limits on foot movements are as follows:

A player holding the ball:

a. May not touch the floor with a knee or any other part of the body other than hand or foot.

b. After gaining control while on the floor and touching with other than hand or foot, may not attempt to get up or stand.

Please explain how pertains to the original post...

AremRed Tue Nov 28, 2017 03:43pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BEAREF (Post 1011971)
Here's rule 4.44.5B

Close, you actually quoted 4-44-5. There’s a difference.

Nevadaref Tue Nov 28, 2017 03:48pm

Quote:

Here's rule 4.44.5B

ART. 5

Traveling is moving a foot or feet in any direction in excess of prescribed limits while holding the ball. The limits on foot movements are as follows:

a. May not touch the floor with a knee or any other part of the body other than hand or foot.

b. After gaining control while on the floor and touching with other than hand or foot, may not attempt to get up or stand.

Now consult your Case Book.

BigCat Tue Nov 28, 2017 03:53pm

Quote:

Here's rule 4.44.5B

ART. 5

Bob cited a case book play. The exact one for this situation. You quoted the rule. Rules are dashes, case book plays are ....periods.

bob jenkins Tue Nov 28, 2017 04:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigCat (Post 1011975)
Rules are dashes, case book plays are ....periods.

As shown on page 2 of the case book.

rockyroad Tue Nov 28, 2017 04:45pm

You can count on a couple wrong answers on the NFHS test every year. Not sure if it is poor proofreading on their part or what, but there are almost always at least 2 that the "answer key" has wrong. If that gets us into our rule and case books more deeply, so be it.

BillyMac Tue Nov 28, 2017 05:24pm

Let's Go To The Videotape ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigCat (Post 1011975)
Bob cited a case book play. The exact one for this situation.

Always listen to bob.

4.44.5 SITUATION B: A1 dives for a loose ball and slides after gaining control.
A1 is in a position either on his/her back or stomach. What can A1 do without
violating? RULING: A1 may pass, shoot, start a dribble or call a time-out. Once
A1 has the ball and is no longer sliding, he/she may not roll over. If flat on his/her
back, A1 may sit up without violating. Any attempt to get to the feet is traveling
unless A1 is dribbling. It is also traveling if A1 puts the ball on the floor, then rises
and is first to touch the ball.
(4-44-5b)

so cal lurker Tue Nov 28, 2017 06:08pm

I've never understood why that isn't considered a dribble. But it isn't.

And then, to me, it gets metaphysical. If it bounces, it's a dribble, right? And is it possible to put down the ball without some bounce? So how much bounce before it becomes a dribble instead of a travel?