The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Nov 26, 2017, 10:10pm
Official Forum Member

Administrative T's quarters apart

Fellow ref wondering if he kicked the handling of some administrative T's recently so I told him I'd ask.

The scenario (fed rules): Team A makes a change to a player number less than 10 minutes before the game. Team B takes two FTAs and the ball at the division line to start the game.

Then, sometime in the third quarter A6 enters the game and the scorekeeper notifies the crew that he's not in the book at all.

The crew whistles another technical, shoots 2 FTAs and gives the ball to Team B at the division line. That night, my friend checks 10-1 and hits self in the forehead. One foul "regardless of the number of infractions" never hit their radar in this context. I have to admit that it didn't hit me either when he told the story the next day -- it seems that this is always on the annual test, but usually posed so all the infractions are happening before the game starts.

So, two questions: 1) Did they kick it by calling another T, awarding free throws and then giving B the ball? 2) If so, does that mean the game merely stops when the infraction is caught and ... no foul is added to the team total, no free throws are awarded and the ball isn't automatically given to the non-offending team?

Sounds odd and the casebook isn't any help.
Old Sun Nov 26, 2017, 10:30pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amesman View Post
1) Did they kick it by calling another T, awarding free throws and then giving B the ball?
Yes, they did.

Quote:
2) If so, does that mean the game merely stops when the infraction is caught and ... no foul is added to the team total, no free throws are awarded and the ball isn't automatically given to the non-offending team?
You do not even need to stop the game. If the mistake was noticed after the first one, it is just corrected and move on. Again, they get only one T for a book infraction no matter how many mistakes are made.

Peace
Old Sun Nov 26, 2017, 10:53pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Two, Not One, Is The Limit ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
... they get only one T for a book infraction no matter how many mistakes are made.
Unless their first mistake was not having their roster and starters ready before the ten minute lime limit. That would have been one technical foul. Any scorebook changes (wrong number, not in scorebook, etc.) after the ten minute time limit would be another technical foul, and at that point they would have reached the "administrative scorebook limit" of two technical fouls (maximum one before, maximum one after, ten minute time limit) for such scorebook infractions. Any additional scorebook problems would just be corrected and play on.

Then again, how many of us have charged technical fouls for rosters not being submitted on time? For me, thirty-seven years, zero technical fouls for such infractions. In my little corner of Connecticut, technical fouls for rosters not being submitted on time just aren't charged.

Of course, the usual caveat, "When in Rome ...".
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Nov 26, 2017 at 10:59pm.
Old Sun Nov 26, 2017, 11:10pm
Do not give a damn!!

The penalty part of 10-1-2 says:

Quote:
(Art.2) One foul only per team regardless of the number of infractions.
It does not specify which infraction happens first or second. Not sure how you can give more than one technical if that is what the penalty suggests.

The specifics about when you penalize Art. 2a is stated because when the ball is live it is too late. Art. 2b, c, d state that you penalize when they occur. So if you do nothing in 2b, c, and d, then you have no technical (which could happen). You could go all game and not discover 2e.

So how do you give more than one T when the penalty makes it clear only one infraction is penalized?

Peace
Old Sun Nov 26, 2017, 11:50pm
Official Forum Member

You can incur one technical foul for a violation of Rule 10-1-1 and one technical foul for a violation of Rule 10-1-2. So, Billy is correct.
Old Mon Nov 27, 2017, 06:42am
Esteemed Forum Member

Administrative Technical Fouls ...

Quote:
Administrative T's quarters apart.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
... not having their roster and starters ready before the ten minute lime limit. That would have been one technical foul. Any scorebook changes (wrong number, not in scorebook, etc.) after the ten minute time limit would be another technical foul, and at that point they would have reached the "administrative scorebook limit" of two technical fouls (maximum one before, maximum one after, ten minute time limit) for such scorebook infractions. Any additional scorebook problems would just be corrected and play on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Not sure how you can give more than one technical if that is what the penalty suggests ... So how do you give more than one T when the penalty makes it clear only one infraction is penalized?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
You can incur one technical foul for a violation of Rule 10-1-1 and one technical foul for a violation of Rule 10-1-2.
Bingo.

For all intents and purposes, here in my little corner of Connecticut, technical fouls for rosters not being submitted on time just aren't charged. Never have been, never will be. Most varsity games are played after a freshman game and a junior varsity game, and are often delayed. And then we always have late buses due to the traffic issues in this part of the state (not enough bridges over the Connecticut River). Game times are always an estimate at best.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Nov 27, 2017 at 05:01pm.