The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Nov 19, 2017, 02:59pm
Official Forum Member

Airborne shooter returns to the floor and is fouled

This happened today to me. Shooter A-1 drives to the hoop and the ball enters the basket. After he returns to the floor he is fouled by B-1. I called the hoop good and had team A take the ball out of bounds at the spot of the foul (not in the bonus).
During a time out my partner says he had never seen this call before and had been thinking about my call. He asks that after the ball passes through the hoop the ball becomes dead (until at the disposal of team B)... shouldn't my foul call have been a technical in that case.
Not sure if he is correct or not. Any thoughts people? Casebook ?

PS: Explaining the first call was hard enough. If we had administered at technical foul there that would have really set off coach A.
Old Sun Nov 19, 2017, 03:26pm
Official Forum Member

The player was no longer an airborne shooter once he returned to the floor (so the personal foul "exception" doesn't apply). The ball becomes dead when the try ends (in this case, when the try is successful). By rule, any contact that happens when the ball is dead is ignored unless intentional or flagrant; if intentional or flagrant, it is a technical foul.

If your foul happened after the ball went through the net (I can't really tell based on your post), it has to be a technical foul. I would leave this alone unless it's a complete train wreck or a safety issue (think: was any advantage gained if the ball went through the hoop?). If the ball was indeed dead, the standard is even higher for what should be penalized. A simple "knock it off" might work best.

Last edited by SC Official; Sun Nov 19, 2017 at 03:34pm. Reason: clarification
Old Sun Nov 19, 2017, 03:36pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
The player was no longer an airborne shooter once he returned to the floor (so the personal foul "exception" doesn't apply). The ball becomes dead when the try ends (in this case, when the try is successful). By rule, any contact that happens when the ball is dead is ignored unless intentional or flagrant; if intentional or flagrant, it is a technical foul.

If your foul happened after the ball went through the net (I can't really tell based on your post), it has to be a technical foul. I would leave this alone unless it's a complete train wreck or a safety issue (think: was any advantage gained if the ball went through the hoop?). If the ball was indeed dead, the standard is even higher for what should be penalized. A simple "knock it off" might work best.

SC Official:

Excellent analysis.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sun Nov 19, 2017, 08:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbruno View Post
This happened today to me. Shooter A-1 drives to the hoop and the ball enters the basket. After he returns to the floor he is fouled by B-1. I called the hoop good and had team A take the ball out of bounds at the spot of the foul (not in the bonus).
During a time out my partner says he had never seen this call before and had been thinking about my call. He asks that after the ball passes through the hoop the ball becomes dead (until at the disposal of team B)... shouldn't my foul call have been a technical in that case.
Not sure if he is correct or not. Any thoughts people? Casebook ?

PS: Explaining the first call was hard enough. If we had administered at technical foul there that would have really set off coach A.
If it was hard to explain it shouldn't have been made. Once it's through hoop it has to be intentional or flagrant. Even an accidental train wreck isn't a foul. Leave it alone. If it has to be called it will be obvious to everybody in the gym and easy to explain..
Old Mon Nov 20, 2017, 05:04am
Official Forum Member

As others have pointed out this contact should have been ignored as it took place during a dead ball. Your rules reference is 4-19-1 Note.

What you did was call a common foul during a dead ball, which is not permissible, unless the foul is committed by an airborne shooter.
Old Mon Nov 20, 2017, 08:30am
Official Forum Member

I will add that you can have a personal foul during this dead ball period in NCAAW -- so expect a little more confusion on this rules difference.
Old Mon Nov 20, 2017, 12:59pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks for the input guys. I have never in 20 yrs had this happen. If I make a call like this its usually been a jump shooter who returns to the floor and the shot did not go in making it a reasonable call. That being said. I had no idea the ball went through until after I blew the whistle as I was watching both players land. I wouldn't say the contact was intentional or flagrant ... they just both landed fairly hard because of the contact... hence the whistle. I think in the future I will ignore the contact on this type of play unless as stated it was flagrant.
Old Thu Nov 23, 2017, 12:34pm
#thereferee99

NCAA-W rule change this year.

NCAA-W now allows for a foul in this dead ball period to be ruled a common foul.

Fouls - Personal Foul. (Rule 10-10.1). A personal foul is a player’s illegal contact with an opponent during a live ball, except for the dead-ball period immediately following a successful goal.