The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 19, 2017, 01:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanV21 View Post
This is that play that's been talked about.

And from what I've read the interpretation is that A was both the last to touch the ball when it had FC status and the first to touch the ball when it gains BC status. Therefore a violation.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
That's the current FED interp (and most think it's also contrary to the rule). How you handle it is up to you.

That's not the current NCAAW interp (which matches the rule).
Old Tue Dec 19, 2017, 01:11pm
Stubborn Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
That's the current FED interp (and most think it's also contrary to the rule). How you handle it is up to you.

That's not the current NCAAW interp (which matches the rule).
I keep forgetting to ask this at a meeting, or at least email the local interpreter.

Old Tue Dec 19, 2017, 01:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

And from what I've read the interpretation is that A was both the last to touch the ball when it had FC status and the first to touch the ball when it gains BC status. Therefore a violation.

That interpretation is utter nonsense. In no way does one touch occur in two places or at two different times, unless your name is Schrodinger.
Old Tue Dec 19, 2017, 01:54pm
Stubborn Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
That interpretation is utter nonsense. In no way does one touch occur in two places or at two different times, unless your name is Schrodinger.
You don't have to tell me. Tell the Fed.

Old Tue Dec 19, 2017, 02:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

See Cameron's post number 70.

1. First part of rule---"Player shall not be first to touch ball after it has been in team control in FC,"

Here, ball is touched by B in FC giving it, the ball, FC status. We all agree to that.

2. Rule continues on "...if he/she or teammate last touched or was touched by the ball in the FC,"
Grammar--this refers to the where the player was located when he is touched by the ball. That is basic sentence structure. 4-35. The player is located where he/or she is touching the floor. If I'm standing in BC and I touch a ball that has FC status, that changes the status of the ball, not my location.

3. Finally--last part "BEFORE it went to BC." Even if you believe part 2 above refers to the status of ball and not player location...one single touch cannot be BEFORE.

The interpretation is wrong.
Old Tue Dec 19, 2017, 02:20pm
Stubborn Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCat View Post
See Cameron's post number 70.

1. First part of rule---"Player shall not be first to touch ball after it has been in team control in FC,"

Here, ball is touched by B in FC giving it, the ball, FC status. We all agree to that.

2. Rule continues on "...if he/she or teammate last touched or was touched by the ball in the FC,"
Grammar--this refers to the where the player was located when he is touched by the ball. That is basic sentence structure. 4-35. The player is located where he/or she is touching the floor. If I'm standing in BC and I touch a ball that has FC status, that changes the status of the ball, not my location.

3. Finally--last part "BEFORE it went to BC." Even if you believe part 2 above refers to the status of ball and not player location...one single touch cannot be BEFORE.

The interpretation is wrong.
Again... Don't tell me, tell the Fed.

If I call it that way I can point at the interpretation. Or I can argue with an assigner about what the interpretation should be. Or the assigner will back me up if I called it against the interpretation.

I'll take the path of least resistance.

Old Tue Dec 19, 2017, 02:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Again... Don't tell me, tell the Fed.

If I call it that way I can point at the interpretation. Or I can argue with an assigner about what the interpretation should be. Or the assigner will back me up if I called it against the interpretation.

I'll take the path of least resistance.

Someone will have to find the interp. The rule is there and it's really pretty clear. The "path of least resistance"...just a phrase I don't like...
Old Tue Dec 19, 2017, 02:33pm
Stubborn Member

Quote:
Someone will have to find the interp. The rule is there and it's really pretty clear. The "path of least resistance"...just a phrase I don't like...
When you're a ten year official with no pull you do what your "bosses" want.

Old Tue Dec 19, 2017, 02:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
When you're a ten year official with no pull you do what your "bosses" want.

ok
Old Tue Dec 19, 2017, 03:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
The crowd didn't like it because the call was incorrect. Based on the rule...who was the last to touch the ball BEFORE it returned to the backcourt? Team B....no violation.
The ball still had front court status even though B1 was last to touch before A2 secured the ball in the BC. Thought is was a no brainer violation.

Would there be any difference if at the time A2 touches the deflected pass by B1, A2's foot was on the division line?
Old Tue Dec 19, 2017, 03:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane O View Post
The ball still had front court status even though B1 was last to touch before A2 secured the ball in the BC. Thought is was a no brainer violation.

Would there be any difference if at the time A2 touches the deflected pass by B1, A2's foot was on the division line?
No. A2 is still in the BC (at least as I read your description of A2's location).
Old Tue Dec 19, 2017, 03:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

4-35. player location. ball location 4-4. two very different things....
Old Tue Dec 19, 2017, 03:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
No. A2 is still in the BC (at least as I read your description of A2's location).
So then it would be a violation!

Below is the interp from NFHS which is exactly the play I had this year. If you notice in the interp they don't use wording describing first touch or last touch or anything like that, they just use the wording "caused the ball to have BC status" while still being in team control.

SITUATION 7: A1, in the team’s frontcourt, passes towards A2, also in the team’s frontcourt. B1 deflects the ball toward Team A’s backcourt. The ball bounces only in Team A’s frontcourt before crossing the division line. While the ball is still in the air over Team A’s backcourt, but never having touched in Team A’s backcourt, A2 gains possession of the ball while standing in Team A’s backcourt. RULING: Backcourt violation on Team A. Team A was still in team control and caused the ball to have backcourt status. Had A2 permitted the ball to bounce in the backcourt after having been deflected by B1, there would have been no backcourt violation. (4-4-1, 4-4-3, 9-9-1)
Old Tue Dec 19, 2017, 03:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
So then it would be a violation!

Below is the interp from NFHS which is exactly the play I had this year. If you notice in the interp they don't use wording describing first touch or last touch or anything like that, they just use the wording "caused the ball to have BC status" while still being in team control.

SITUATION 7: A1, in the team’s frontcourt, passes towards A2, also in the team’s frontcourt. B1 deflects the ball toward Team A’s backcourt. The ball bounces only in Team A’s frontcourt before crossing the division line. While the ball is still in the air over Team A’s backcourt, but never having touched in Team A’s backcourt, A2 gains possession of the ball while standing in Team A’s backcourt. RULING: Backcourt violation on Team A. Team A was still in team control and caused the ball to have backcourt status. Had A2 permitted the ball to bounce in the backcourt after having been deflected by B1, there would have been no backcourt violation. (4-4-1, 4-4-3, 9-9-1)

This is the entire point of the conversation. The interp does not follow the rule...not even close...Does not follow basic rules of grammar in the rule. The interp is wrong...in so many ways. see cameron post 70 and my 80.

Last edited by BigCat; Tue Dec 19, 2017 at 03:24pm.
Old Tue Dec 19, 2017, 03:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
This is the entire point of the conversation. The interp does not follow the rule...not even close...Does not follow basic rules of grammar in the rule. The interp is wrong...in so many ways.
I do get that but just my own personal experience makes me feel the rule interpretation is how the game should be called. Maybe they can write the rule better to more coincide with the interpretation, lol.