The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 27, 2018, 11:32am
Stubborn Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
No. That's PC (not TC), and only during a dribble.

If Camron's plays are not violations, it's because of the "last to touch" criterion, not because of the "TC" or the "front court" criteria.
Thank you! I got into a mini-argument with a partner during halftime of a high school varsity game (I say "mini" because I dropped it right away as it wasn't important enough to keep arguing about). She happens to work college as well, and I didn't know if the rule was different. Even though the player was not dribbling, she insisted (and my other partner in a three man crew even backed her up) that all three points need to move into the frontcourt.
Old Sat Jan 27, 2018, 12:35pm
Administrator

1) As the person who posted the first comment after the OP, and am only now making my second comment in the thread, I am amused that this thread is still going and nine pages long.

2) If one does an Advanced Search one will see that this thread is only the latest in a number of many long thread on this Rule.

3) One will also see that I have always been a proponent of the Interpretation that many many people here do not like. And by always, I mean since 1971, when I started officiating. I graduated from H.S. in 1969 (I started playing JrHS basketball in 1964-64.) and I know that this was the Interpretation from the National Basketball Committee of the United States and Canada (the rules maker for boys'/girls' H.S. and men's college until it split into the NFHS and NCAA Men's Rules Committees either after the 1977-78 or 1978-79 seasons, and without climbing up into the attic to check I am favoring the former rather than the latter.

4) Since I retired from officiating women's college and men's jr. college after the 2007-08 season I download the NCAA Men's and Women's Rules and Casebook Plays but I do not really read them in detail as I probably should and rely on Jeff and Bob, to keep me abreast of those Rules when they make comments in the Forum.

5) And after nine pages are we not beating a dead horse to further death. LOL!

Have a good one everyone!

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sat Jan 27, 2018, 06:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeyes View Post
In Camron’s cases: Team A never has team control in the front court?

Team control would mean all three points in the front court - correct?

The OP begins in the front court with actual team control in the front court.
His scenarios begin with team control in the back court. Team control is never established in the front court.
I don’t like the NF interpretation, but I don’t see how his scenarios are remotely similar?

Incorrect, on my cases. Even those team A has control of the ball in the backcourt, the instant team B (who is in the frontcourt) bats the ball, the ball gains FC status. Team control by Team A continues throughout this time since nothing that ends team control has occurred. This is because the ball location is determined by where the player is when touching the ball. With team B in the FC, the ball is in the FC the moment they touch it while in the FC. Team A does not need to be involved in giving the ball FC status.

Then, when the ball again touches team A, still in the BC, the ball would have been in the FC from team B's touch, but not returns to the BC when team A touches it again. By the interpretation, that would be a violation....a very silly violation not supported by the rules.

Now that I think about it, I might just rule that the "tap" by team B established team control for team B so that I wouldn't have to call a bogus BC violation.
Old Sat Jan 27, 2018, 10:24pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=Camron Rust;1015742]Incorrect
Now that I think about it, I might just rule that the "tap" by team B established team control for team B so that I wouldn't have to call a bogus BC violation. [/

Hey Hawk,
What did you see on Camron’s call?

Coach, I had a good look at it too, and I completely agree him!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk