The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Oct 19, 2017, 06:02am
Official Forum Member

Free throw lane violation on offense

Hello team, first time official, first time poster.

A1 is shooting the first of two free throws. A2 commits a lane violation by entering the lane before the ball is shot. Is the first FT called off and does team A still get to shoot the second FT?

Thanks, I'm a long time coach and I've seen this happen. Trying to get the correct call.
Old Thu Oct 19, 2017, 06:08am
Official Forum Member

Yes, the first free throw is waved off immediately once A2 violates.

Does not affect the second free throw at all.
Old Thu Oct 19, 2017, 09:52am
I got a Basketball Jones!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stifftails View Post

A1 is shooting the first of two free throws. A2 commits a lane violation by entering the lane before the ball is shot. Is the first FT called off and does team A still get to shoot the second FT?

Thanks, I'm a long time coach and I've seen this happen. Trying to get the correct call.
Welcome to the board. You can ask all the questions you want, and rely on good answers and insights from the crew here.

However, nothing compares to your own initiative in studying the rules and case book. Come here when you get stuck.

Have an open mind and try to forget all the stuff you thought you knew. The 'real' rules you will learn as an official are quite different. Expect to have your mind blown regularly as you delve deeper into the rules.

Good luck and come back often. These discussions are a great resource, especially for one who is transitioning from 'the dark side'.
Old Thu Oct 19, 2017, 10:23am
Do not give a damn!!

If Team A is shooting multiple FTs, then nothing happens other than they lose the right to finish that attempt or get the points.

If the FT is the last FT or a FT where the ball will be live on the miss, then all that happens is they lose the FT attempt and give the ball to the opponent (Like a 1 and 1 bonus attempt or the last FT of a series).

Peace
Old Thu Oct 19, 2017, 12:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stifftails View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
Yes, the first free throw is waved off immediately once A2 violates.

Does not affect the second free throw at all.
Concur with SC. That said, when this happens, it's one of the dumber and sillier violations you'll ever see. There is absolutely nothing to gain by entering the lane early on non-final free throws of a multiple throw.

Sometimes you'll see a player just sort of maybe step in a tiny bit because he's just shaking his legs out or perhaps he's just a little fidgety while standing in a lane space after he's been moving a lot. Please don't call that a violation if it's subtle and has no impact on anything. That wouldn't be in line with the intent of the rule.
Old Thu Oct 19, 2017, 11:44pm
Official Forum Member

Way back when I was a JV basketball player, this was called against my team and the second free throw was called off. My coach was lucky to not get a T for arguing it, and the arguments continued a few games down the line when we had the same referee. Hopefully he sees this thread so he finally knows what the call is.
Old Fri Oct 20, 2017, 08:53am
Official Forum Member

Thanks for all the feedback.

James, that was the case with me also. That's why I posted this because nothing in the rules books backs up the ref taking away that second free throw.