The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 16, 2010, 01:10pm
Official Forum Member

Patent leather shoes

I'm in the market to purchase a pair of patent leather shoes for the 1st time. Recommendations on shoe brands and websites that I can go to to make this purchase would be appreciated. Thanks
Old Tue Mar 16, 2010, 01:18pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
My Reeboks are still in good shape after 4 seasons. Honig's Whistle Stop is where I got them. I think.
Old Tue Mar 16, 2010, 01:48pm
Official Forum Member

Try these http://www.basketballrefshoes.com/index.html (direct) and also available at Ultimate Patent Leather Basketball Referee Shoes: Ump Attire.

I've worn them for about four years now....probably the best shoes [for me] that I've reffed in so far...after trying Converse, Reebok, Nike, and New Balance.

Note that the lighting in the picture on the Ump Attire site is a bit odd. The soles doen't look grey under normal lighting as they do in the picture.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Wed Mar 17, 2010 at 01:19pm.
Old Tue Mar 16, 2010, 01:52pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Thumbs up

Try these. They go great with fishnets.

Old Tue Mar 16, 2010, 02:15pm
Official Forum Member

I have worn the "Pentagon" shoes the last 2 years. Very durable and at a reasonable price.

Last edited by bob jenkins; Tue Mar 16, 2010 at 03:10pm.
Old Wed Mar 17, 2010, 12:04am
Official Forum Member

FYI, if you have problems with shin splints, stay away from the patent leather Reebok's. The most painful year of my career was spent in those shoes. When I changed them out with a pair of Shox in the last month of the season, things got almost instantly better.
Old Wed Mar 17, 2010, 05:59am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Rash Generalization?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockchalk jhawk View Post
FYI, if you have problems with shin splints, stay away from the patent leather Reebok's. The most painful year of my career was spent in those shoes. When I changed them out with a pair of Shox in the last month of the season, things got almost instantly better.
So, on your opinion any referee who ever had shin splints should avoid buying these shoes? Wow! A very condemning statement.

Possibly similar to your experience, I tried a pair of Patent Leather Official Choice shoes this year and had a terrible time. But, I believe it's because my feet were not right for the shoe - IMO. NOT because the shoe is bad.

When trying them on for some reason I didn't realize they had a high arch - and I have a flat foot. After several uses my feet really hurt badly. I even took out the insoles and tried some fairly expensive inserts - still a no go for me.

So, if anyone wants an inexpensive pair of seldom warn OC Patent Leather size 9 1/2's, PM me and maybe we can work up a deal. After a few uses, they're just collecting dust......but, they brush off nicely and look super!
Old Wed Mar 17, 2010, 08:33am
Official Forum Member

I bought this pair of Nikes for $70 at Dick's last September....love 'em....low profile sole is my style. They are my first pair of shiny shoes.

Old Wed Mar 17, 2010, 10:43am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Try these Ultimate Patent Leather Basketball Referee Shoes: Ump Attire

I've worn them for about four years now....probably the best shoes [for me] that I've reffed in so far...after trying Converse, Reebok, Nike, and New Balance.

Note that the lighting in the picture on the Ump Attire site is a bit odd. The soles doen't look grey under normal lighting as they do in the picture.
I just ordered a pair. I have EE feet, but the reviews seem to suggest these work OK for wide feet. I'm tired of shining up my NB trainers, so we'll see how these do, should they fit.
Old Wed Mar 17, 2010, 10:48am
Aleve Titles to Others

I just put my old Converse Whistle shoes back in the rotation. Wore them for 3 seasons, but the last 1 1/2 seasons they were every other game. They do not make them any more, but they are comfortable. Probably will use them next season.
Old Wed Mar 17, 2010, 11:14am
MABO Member

I bought a pair of Reebok "Breezy" patent leather shoes 2 years ago and have not been able to get them to break in comfortably. I went back to my shox and love them. Just hard to find any in all black up here.

All references/comments are intended for educational purposes. Opinions are free.
Old Wed Mar 17, 2010, 12:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeEater View Post
I bought a pair of Reebok "Breezy" patent leather shoes 2 years ago and have not been able to get them to break in comfortably. I went back to my shox and love them. Just hard to find any in all black up here.
Ditto on the Reebox Breezy. I also have a pair of the New Balance 888 and never could break those in comfortably either.

Last summer I bought a pair of Nike Shox and they are the best of the bunch. Only problem is since Shox really aren't a "basketball" shoe you don't get the complete support you need (according to my podiatrist). LOL!
Old Wed Mar 17, 2010, 12:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Official View Post
Ditto on the Reebox Breezy. I also have a pair of the New Balance 888 and never could break those in comfortably either.

Last summer I bought a pair of Nike Shox and they are the best of the bunch. Only problem is since Shox really aren't a "basketball" shoe you don't get the complete support you need (according to my podiatrist). LOL!
Which is why I love the Nike patent leather 3/4 high tops. Great ankle support AND, as a bonus, the black pants don't get caught in the tongue of the shoe or hung up on the heel. Love that.
Old Wed Mar 17, 2010, 12:44pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Official View Post

Did you tell your podiatrist that you stopped the halftime shootarounds so the basketball aspect of the shoe was not all that important? [I presume you stoppped them. You did, didn't you?]
Old Wed Mar 17, 2010, 12:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
I just ordered a pair. I have EE feet, but the reviews seem to suggest these work OK for wide feet. I'm tired of shining up my NB trainers, so we'll see how these do, should they fit.
I just finished my first season using a pair of Official Footwear patents and they were great.

You can also purchase them directly from the manufacturer if you prefer at basketballrefshoes.com - Home.