The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Patent leather shoes (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/57565-patent-leather-shoes.html)

donj Tue Mar 16, 2010 01:10pm

Patent leather shoes

I'm in the market to purchase a pair of patent leather shoes for the 1st time. Recommendations on shoe brands and websites that I can go to to make this purchase would be appreciated. Thanks

26 Year Gap Tue Mar 16, 2010 01:18pm

My Reeboks are still in good shape after 4 seasons. Honig's Whistle Stop is where I got them. I think.

Camron Rust Tue Mar 16, 2010 01:48pm

Try these http://www.basketballrefshoes.com/index.html (direct) and also available at Ultimate Patent Leather Basketball Referee Shoes: Ump Attire.

I've worn them for about four years now....probably the best shoes [for me] that I've reffed in so far...after trying Converse, Reebok, Nike, and New Balance.

Note that the lighting in the picture on the Ump Attire site is a bit odd. The soles doen't look grey under normal lighting as they do in the picture.

Mark Padgett Tue Mar 16, 2010 01:52pm

Try these. They go great with fishnets.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2001/...f0f0edb5_o.jpg

Metrodom Tue Mar 16, 2010 02:15pm

I have worn the "Pentagon" shoes the last 2 years. Very durable and at a reasonable price.

rockchalk jhawk Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:04am

FYI, if you have problems with shin splints, stay away from the patent leather Reebok's. The most painful year of my career was spent in those shoes. When I changed them out with a pair of Shox in the last month of the season, things got almost instantly better.

grunewar Wed Mar 17, 2010 05:59am

Rash Generalization?

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockchalk jhawk (Post 668645)
FYI, if you have problems with shin splints, stay away from the patent leather Reebok's. The most painful year of my career was spent in those shoes. When I changed them out with a pair of Shox in the last month of the season, things got almost instantly better.

So, on your opinion any referee who ever had shin splints should avoid buying these shoes? Wow! A very condemning statement.

Possibly similar to your experience, I tried a pair of Patent Leather Official Choice shoes this year and had a terrible time. But, I believe it's because my feet were not right for the shoe - IMO. NOT because the shoe is bad.

When trying them on for some reason I didn't realize they had a high arch - and I have a flat foot. After several uses my feet really hurt badly. I even took out the insoles and tried some fairly expensive inserts - still a no go for me.

So, if anyone wants an inexpensive pair of seldom warn OC Patent Leather size 9 1/2's, PM me and maybe we can work up a deal. After a few uses, they're just collecting dust......but, they brush off nicely and look super! :(

DLH17 Wed Mar 17, 2010 08:33am

I bought this pair of Nikes for $70 at Dick's last September....love 'em....low profile sole is my style. They are my first pair of shiny shoes.

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n.../NikeShine.jpg

Rich Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:43am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 668519)
Try these Ultimate Patent Leather Basketball Referee Shoes: Ump Attire

I've worn them for about four years now....probably the best shoes [for me] that I've reffed in so far...after trying Converse, Reebok, Nike, and New Balance.

Note that the lighting in the picture on the Ump Attire site is a bit odd. The soles doen't look grey under normal lighting as they do in the picture.

I just ordered a pair. I have EE feet, but the reviews seem to suggest these work OK for wide feet. I'm tired of shining up my NB trainers, so we'll see how these do, should they fit.

26 Year Gap Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:48am

I just put my old Converse Whistle shoes back in the rotation. Wore them for 3 seasons, but the last 1 1/2 seasons they were every other game. They do not make them any more, but they are comfortable. Probably will use them next season.

SmokeEater Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:14am

I bought a pair of Reebok "Breezy" patent leather shoes 2 years ago and have not been able to get them to break in comfortably. I went back to my shox and love them. Just hard to find any in all black up here.

Da Official Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:33pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SmokeEater (Post 668734)
I bought a pair of Reebok "Breezy" patent leather shoes 2 years ago and have not been able to get them to break in comfortably. I went back to my shox and love them. Just hard to find any in all black up here.

Ditto on the Reebox Breezy. I also have a pair of the New Balance 888 and never could break those in comfortably either.

Last summer I bought a pair of Nike Shox and they are the best of the bunch. Only problem is since Shox really aren't a "basketball" shoe you don't get the complete support you need (according to my podiatrist). LOL!

DLH17 Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Da Official (Post 668751)
Ditto on the Reebox Breezy. I also have a pair of the New Balance 888 and never could break those in comfortably either.

Last summer I bought a pair of Nike Shox and they are the best of the bunch. Only problem is since Shox really aren't a "basketball" shoe you don't get the complete support you need (according to my podiatrist). LOL!

Which is why I love the Nike patent leather 3/4 high tops. Great ankle support AND, as a bonus, the black pants don't get caught in the tongue of the shoe or hung up on the heel. Love that.

26 Year Gap Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:44pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Da Official (Post 668751)

Did you tell your podiatrist that you stopped the halftime shootarounds so the basketball aspect of the shoe was not all that important? [I presume you stoppped them. You did, didn't you?:eek:]

Rufus Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichMSN (Post 668722)
I just ordered a pair. I have EE feet, but the reviews seem to suggest these work OK for wide feet. I'm tired of shining up my NB trainers, so we'll see how these do, should they fit.

I just finished my first season using a pair of Official Footwear patents and they were great.

You can also purchase them directly from the manufacturer if you prefer at basketballrefshoes.com - Home.