The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Nov 07, 2017, 05:38pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to agr8zebra
Cheating in my book is when I get the answers from some other means than studying them out for myself. Cheating is getting the answers is from someone other than myself. I feel CLEAR in my conscious that I did not cheat getting my 99%

Cheating would be one of you asking for my test answers.

After all that is said and done, more is said than done
Old Tue Nov 07, 2017, 06:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by agr8zebra View Post
Cheating in my book is when I get the answers from some other means than studying them out for myself. Cheating is getting the answers is from someone other than myself. I feel CLEAR in my conscious that I did not cheat getting my 99%

If you can justify it that way, good for you.

In most domains, it is considered cheating to get a copy of an exam before the exam is released so that you can study the answers ahead of time.

If it was of no advantage, why not just wait until it was released? If it was an advantage, that would confirm it was cheating.
Old Tue Nov 07, 2017, 11:16pm
Official Forum Member

Fellas. Take a step back. This may be the most ridiculous argument I've ever seen on here and I've observed some asinine positions. Why don't you guys take a timeout until the season starts and you have something worthwhile to get worked up about instead of some holier-than-thou crap about a guy "cheating" on an open book test. Maybe we call it the seatbelt rule for this forum. Good lord.
Old Wed Nov 08, 2017, 08:29am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post

In most domains, it is considered cheating to get a copy of an exam before the exam is released so that you can study the answers ahead of time.

If it was of no advantage, why not just wait until it was released? If it was an advantage, that would confirm it was cheating.
Advantage <> Cheating.
Old Wed Nov 08, 2017, 11:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
Advantage <> Cheating.
Unintended advantage == Cheating.

It is basic ethics and integrity. Unfortunately, some don't have a problem stepping over the lines.
Old Wed Nov 08, 2017, 12:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by agr8zebra View Post

Agreed!!!

Starting and/or finishing your task (test) on your own ahead of schedule is not cheating. Don't let some of the self important people on this site make you think otherwise.
Old Wed Nov 08, 2017, 12:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Man, you are dense. He had an open day or two to get it done, why wait until the official window of time to do it? What if he was extremely busy during the official window?

He did it on his own a day or two early. Those of us with kids and limited free time can understand. He didn't get any answers from anybody and looked at the OPEN BOOK questions a couple of days in advance. What's the big deal?
Old Wed Nov 08, 2017, 12:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Unintended advantage == Cheating.

It is basic ethics and integrity. Unfortunately, some don't have a problem stepping over the lines.
What exactly was the "unintended advantage"?

He finished an open book test on his own on day 1 of a 30 day window. Would it make you feel better if he finished it on day 3 of the window? That's what we are talking about here.

Relax a little. You are not God's gift to officiating.
Old Wed Nov 08, 2017, 12:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD Referee View Post
Relax a little. You are not God's gift to officiating.
Neither are you, based on the malarky you normally post on this forum.
Old Wed Nov 08, 2017, 02:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
Neither are you, based on the malarky you normally post on this forum.
Never said I was and I'm not the one bashing somebody and trying to pass on my version of ethics. I would like to think that we could support each other and pass information along. Rather than rip somebody in a situation that doesn't concern us/you and we don't know the whole story.

Malarky? Great word. I don't post much, but I don't think I would classify it as malarky. I guess we know what you think of yourself.
Old Wed Nov 08, 2017, 03:07pm
Do not give a damn!!

If we are talking about the NF test, many states take them at different times. Some take the test in the summer. Some have their own test. And unless you are getting the answers, there is no way cheating. We talk about the answers in many associations and because it is an open book test. The test results are almost meaningless unless you really need that extra power point. And since it is an open book test, if the state had an issue with this, they would tell us. It is pretty common people get most of the answers or wait to submit their test until they have reviewed it. No one here really cares. It has been that way long before I officiated and the NF test was sent to us in the mid-90s. So it is possible this guy wanted the test because like many of us will take the test and look up all the answers and references that fit the test.

Again, some people really need to stick to what happens in their area and get upset if someone is violating some rules where you live. But in this age of the internet, people will get a national publication before their state will give it to them. And unless they are violating those rules, we have no idea what is cheating to their area.

Peace
Old Wed Nov 08, 2017, 03:29pm
NFHS Official

Quote:
Originally Posted by unigiantslayers View Post
fellas. Take a step back. This may be the most ridiculous argument i've ever seen on here and i've observed some asinine positions. Why don't you guys take a timeout until the season starts and you have something worthwhile to get worked up about instead of some holier-than-thou crap about a guy "cheating" on an open book test. Maybe we call it the seatbelt rule for this forum. Good lord.
+1
Old Wed Nov 08, 2017, 04:17pm
Official Forum Member

I don't think anyone really "cares" that this guy got the test questions ahead of time. I think people "care" about the fact that he tries to act like it's not unethical. If you got the exam questions ahead of time in a college class and your professor found out, I highly doubt he would be okay with it.

Sort of like referees that don't report their income just because they don't get 1099's. Sure, you probably won't get caught. Sure, it doesn't really affect me at all. But, it's still unlawful, and to act like it's "okay" is just ridiculous.
Old Wed Nov 08, 2017, 04:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
If we are talking about the NF test, many states take them at different times. Some take the test in the summer. Some have their own test. And unless you are getting the answers, there is no way cheating. We talk about the answers in many associations and because it is an open book test. The test results are almost meaningless unless you really need that extra power point. And since it is an open book test, if the state had an issue with this, they would tell us. It is pretty common people get most of the answers or wait to submit their test until they have reviewed it. No one here really cares. It has been that way long before I officiated and the NF test was sent to us in the mid-90s. So it is possible this guy wanted the test because like many of us will take the test and look up all the answers and references that fit the test.

Again, some people really need to stick to what happens in their area and get upset if someone is violating some rules where you live. But in this age of the internet, people will get a national publication before their state will give it to them. And unless they are violating those rules, we have no idea what is cheating to their area.

Peace
Well said JRut! I agree with your take.
Old Wed Nov 08, 2017, 04:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
I don't think anyone really "cares" that this guy got the test questions ahead of time. I think people "care" about the fact that he tries to act like it's not unethical. If you got the exam questions ahead of time in a college class and your professor found out, I highly doubt he would be okay with it.

Sort of like referees that don't report their income just because they don't get 1099's. Sure, you probably won't get caught. Sure, it doesn't really affect me at all. But, it's still unlawful, and to act like it's "okay" is just ridiculous.
Ladies and gentlemen, the ethics police is in the house!!!!!!!!

Comparing an open book referee test to a closed book college test is reaching at best.