The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 17, 1999, 12:06am
Official Forum Member

Question #39-If a coach goes to the table to discuss a correctable error and there is no correction, a full-length time-out is charged.

My Answer-False

My rationale-The question even though implied, does not say there was ever a conference with the floor officials. I am of the opinion that without the conference with the floor officials there would never be a need to assess the coach with a time out.
Old Fri Dec 17, 1999, 08:15am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Wing4444
My answer would be True don't ever read to much into the Fed's question and I beleive you have.
Old Fri Dec 17, 1999, 10:41am
Official Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Wing4444 on 12-17-1999 07:15 AM
My answer would be True don't ever read to much into the Fed's question and I beleive you have.

This really can't be emphasized too much. Reading what's not there in an NFHS test question will ALWAYS be to your undoing.

Paul

Old Sun Dec 19, 1999, 01:10am
Official Forum Member

Charge the time-out. If he/she wants to discuss, and the argument holds no merit, charge the time out. If its' a correctible situation, then they should not be penalized.
Old Tue Dec 21, 1999, 12:44am
Official Forum Member

The question does not mention at anypointthat any floor official was involved in the discussion. Table personnel cannot charge timeouts to anyone. Why would we charge a timeout if unless the coach requests one and the table personnel notifies us.
quote:
Originally posted by Mlancaster on 12-19-1999 12:10 AM
Charge the time-out. If he/she wants to discuss, and the argument holds no merit, charge the time out. If its' a correctible situation, then they should not be penalized.

------------------
Old Tue Dec 21, 1999, 12:46am
Official Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Wing4444 on 12-17-1999 07:15 AM

as read stated this question does not indicate any involvement by any floor officials with the coach. Table personnel cannot charge anyone with timeouts. Please provide rulebook reference for your answer
Old Tue Dec 21, 1999, 10:05am
Official Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by DaBro2855 on 12-20-1999 11:46 PM

as read stated this question does not indicate any involvement by any floor officials with the coach. Table personnel cannot charge anyone with timeouts. Please provide rulebook reference for your answer

The questions says "discuss". The coach can't "discuss" a correctable error situation with the table. All the coach can do is request the clock be stopped so that the coach can discuss the situation with the officials. Thus, the officials were involved. Thus, the clock was stopped. Thus, charge the coach with a time-out.

Old Tue Dec 21, 1999, 10:45pm
Official Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins on 12-21-1999 09:05 AM
The questions says "discuss". The coach can't "discuss" a correctable error situation with the table. All the coach can do is request the clock be stopped so that the coach can discuss the situation with the officials. Thus, the officials were involved. Thus, the clock was stopped. Thus, charge the coach with a time-out.

Most logical explanation so far-thanks!