The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 23, 2017, 03:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
But then do not get on people as if they are doing something wrong when they might be doing what is expected or accepted. If you live a state that worries about these things, then worry about the people from your state. Not everyone in the country even takes the NF test at all. Glad my main state does not. But if someone needs to get a question like:

I am sorry, this is one of the dumbest questions that are on the test. It is not only a silly question, are we going to measure to find out on each court? Are we going to not play if it is not the right answer? We have all seen a basketball court and been around the court at some point in our lives. Great to know what these measurements are, but if we cannot get a backcourt violation rule right or we do not know when LGP takes place or is established, that is a bigger issue than knowing the rim is 19 inches or 20 inches.

Peace
I understand what you are saying and agree mostly but....

Having people take tests is not always about the questions. It might be about some but certainly not all. In my experience in the education/training fields, in situations like these it is more about people just getting into the material. In looking up an answer to say, a silly question such as yours, people will see/read other, more pertinent information. They will get browsing/reading and covering so much more material than just what the question needed. This is the main point of many, not all, associations/etc. that have officials take open book tests. It often times, gets people together, which spurs rules/cases conversation, build camaraderie, etc. Indeed, many questions are silly, but the end result is that many get somewhat better.

Just my two cents, not looking for a debate/argument.
Old Mon Oct 23, 2017, 03:49pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky View Post
I understand what you are saying and agree mostly but....

Having people take tests is not always about the questions. It might be about some but certainly not all. In my experience in the education/training fields, in situations like these it is more about people just getting into the material. In looking up an answer to say, a silly question such as yours, people will see/read other, more pertinent information. They will get browsing/reading and covering so much more material than just what the question needed. This is the main point of many, not all, associations/etc. that have officials take open book tests. It often times, gets people together, which spurs rules/cases conversation, build camaraderie, etc. Indeed, many questions are silly, but the end result is that many get somewhat better.

Just my two cents, not looking for a debate/argument.
I am not saying do not take a test. Testing is fine with me, but if you are going to have one, then test the right things. If NF (or anyone) had that as the only question like that, but I recall 5 or 6 at least asking for the line or measurement information.

Nothing to debate or argue, it is my opinion. Take it for what it is worth.

But most of those real rules conversations I see people have are often at the bar or actual situations that happen in games (or other levels).

Peace
Old Mon Oct 23, 2017, 04:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
In South Carolina we have to take this stupid test to be certified (open book, three attempts, 70% required) AND an even stupider closed-book in-person exam in Columbia which is what factors into our rating.

And I'm with JRut.
70% . . . on an open book test?!?!? Wow. I guess you have to start somewhere . . .
Old Mon Oct 23, 2017, 04:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by so cal lurker View Post
70% . . . on an open book test?!?!? Wow. I guess you have to start somewhere . . .
There’s really no reason why we take the NFHS exam at all because we have our own exam that is actually more important. They say it is for “certification,” whatever that means. NFHS exam is merely a formality for us I guess to incentivize us to get in the rules. Although when you only require a 70% and three attempts (and no rating impact) that takes away from that incentive.
Old Mon Oct 23, 2017, 06:30pm
Do not give a damn!!

There are a lot of better ways to learn the rules than taking a test. Because if all you do is look in the rulebooks or casebook because of a test, that is not a very good way to learn the rules, let alone how to officiate. You have to constantly be reading and learning from someone or something. I just like better questions that really teach you the rules of the game that you will apply, not the way things you will never actually verify one way or the other.

Peace
Old Sun Nov 05, 2017, 06:07pm
Official Forum Member

Help...so nervous

Does anyone have the current exam? Even though it's open book my nerves are getting the best of me. Please private message me. Thanks in advance.
Old Sun Nov 05, 2017, 09:34pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to agr8zebra
Within a few days of posting the request for a copy of the test I got a PDF of it, Worked through the test for a couple of days, then on the morning it was opened to me on the Arbiter, November 1st I took the test, submitted it at 8:36 AM and found I got a 99%. Now for the next two months, I have to wait to find out which one I missed. It will drive me nuts, well at least make me wonder.

There are lots of stupid questions, but I think the point of the test is to get our noses in the book. In my state, Utah you can officiate getting an 80% and it is open book, also an open book on part 2.

If some think I was promoting cheating, I am sorry. I simply wanted to get a head start, had a free weekend to work on it.

Peace, HavaGr8day

After all that is said and done, more is said than done
Old Mon Nov 06, 2017, 02:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by agr8zebra View Post
Within a few days of posting the request for a copy of the test I got a PDF of it, Worked through the test for a couple of days, then on the morning it was opened to me on the Arbiter, November 1st I took the test, submitted it at 8:36 AM and found I got a 99%. Now for the next two months, I have to wait to find out which one I missed. It will drive me nuts, well at least make me wonder.

There are lots of stupid questions, but I think the point of the test is to get our noses in the book. In my state, Utah you can officiate getting an 80% and it is open book, also an open book on part 2.

If some think I was promoting cheating, I am sorry. I simply wanted to get a head start, had a free weekend to work on it.

Peace, HavaGr8day
Having more time for an exam, or "a head start" as you call it, is a form of cheating. Why not just take it during the time that your state provides? That would be the honorable way.
Old Mon Nov 06, 2017, 12:06pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Having more time for an exam, or "a head start" as you call it, is a form of cheating. Why not just take it during the time that your state provides? That would be the honorable way.
So if a state gives you 3 months to take the test and you got the test a week earlier, you have cheated? Really????

Peace
Old Mon Nov 06, 2017, 08:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
So if a state gives you 3 months to take the test and you got the test a week earlier, you have cheated? Really????
And if you submit the exam just two days later, have you completed it on-time?
Old Tue Nov 07, 2017, 12:25pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
And if you submit the exam just two days later, have you completed it on-time?
I guess that would depend on where you live now wouldn't it?

I know in my state as an example we get all the test questions to review and can only submit the test online. There were times that we got what those questions were if you knew the right person. You still had to go through the test and figure out the answers. I do not see why timing matters unless we are talking about a test you have to take on-site on a specific set of days. But again, if a test is open book and has a large window, I do not see how seeing the test makes much difference.

Peace
Old Tue Nov 07, 2017, 12:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Or he/she could be from a state that does not take the test at all. Or it is an open book test and getting the test means nothing to the answers.

My state does not take the NF test and has not for probably 10 years now, they make their own test which is fewer questions and not True-False. Getting the test would be great to use for other reasons than cheating on a test. IJS.

Peace
Perfectly said!!!!!! My state is the same way.

Some of you need to calm down, not take yourselves so seriously, and quit jumping on people.
Old Tue Nov 07, 2017, 12:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
But someone needs to tell me how is an open book test that is given without specific time limit (like 2 hours for example) is cheating? We have an open book test and it is common for people to go over the test together. If they want a test to be secret or like you would take an exam when you were in school, then require everyone to take the exam.

How about this one. Stop putting so much emphasis on a test?

Peace
Same with refs in my area. We get together and do the open book test. It's a great way to get discussion going on various topics. Even though our test is open book, it's not easy. Great way to get ready for the season.

I agree with JRut about questions about lines and the size of the ring. Who cares? I just assume all of that is fine when I walk into the gym. I'm there to do my job and not measure anything.
Old Tue Nov 07, 2017, 12:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Really? Cheating? Some of you people need to chill out.

What's the difference if he worked on it October 30 & 31 when he had time and took the test on November 1 as opposed to working on it November 1 & 2 then taking it on November 3?

It's the same damn thing. He had a free weekend and wanted to get it out of the way. Maybe he has 3 kids and another job and other things that take up his time. He had some free time and wanted to get the test done.

No big deal at all!!!!!!!!!
Old Tue Nov 07, 2017, 12:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I guess that would depend on where you live now wouldn't it?

I know in my state as an example we get all the test questions to review and can only submit the test online. There were times that we got what those questions were if you knew the right person. You still had to go through the test and figure out the answers. I do not see why timing matters unless we are talking about a test you have to take on-site on a specific set of days. But again, if a test is open book and has a large window, I do not see how seeing the test makes much difference.

Peace
Your state sounds just like mine and I agree with you 100%.